Author Topic: avast free 5 is blocking things on start up  (Read 19912 times)

nuflood

avast free 5 is blocking things on start up
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
Hi

since I upgraded to free version 5 it seems that some start up programs are blocked by it.
mainly me soundcard program (E-Mu patchmix DSP).
if I use the disable function of avast it releases the programs and they finish loading. when I enable avast again they are already running so no problem here.

but how can I prevent avast from blocking programs on my start up?

thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast free 5 is blocking things on start up
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »
avast doesn't block, it scans and alerts to infection, it doesn't block.

If there is an apparent blocking then there is something else in the mix, what that is, is hard to determine.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
What is your firewall (as strange as this seems) ?

What other security based software do you have installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SBK

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »
I also am using PatchMix DSP. This problem is temporarily solved by turning off Behavior Shield of Avast when the computer is started. Apparently, this problem is like due to Behavior Shield.

sded

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
Does it also work to go to Avast! status/settings/exclusions and add Patchmix to the exclusions?

Dongle Beard

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
Does it also work to go to Avast! status/settings/exclusions and add Patchmix to the exclusions?

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work. It still takes like 8 minutes for patchmix to boot up.
So would Avast fix this if I sent a request in or is there a better fix than disabling Avast?

Dongle Beard

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:41:39 AM »
 :-\

nightfever

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
same issue here with patchmix!
i had to uninstall avast for it to work without freezing at startup
any ideas? could it be conflicting with windows defender?

Obeney

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:10:11 AM »
To solve this issue!

Click on the **Settings** tab on top right of app \ Then click **Troubleshooting** tab

Check the last check box... **Load Avast services only after loading other system services**

Patch mix will now start up clean

ABC easy as ...  8)

mlysek

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »
That didn't work for me. It sure sounds like it should work but the only way to get EMU patchmix to finish starting up for me is to disable the Behavior Shield.

Dongle Beard

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 05:06:16 AM »
That didn't work for me. It sure sounds like it should work but the only way to get EMU patchmix to finish starting up for me is to disable the Behavior Shield.

Didn't work for me either. I sure hoped it would though.

mlysek

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 05:04:55 PM »
Updated to program version 5.0.507 and this problem still exists. EMU patchmix will not finish starting unless I disable the Behavior Shield.

pi3142

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
Well, i had exactly the same problem (avast 5.0.545, XP SP3, EMU1212m) and finally managed a workaround thus:

SETTINGS > TROUBLESHOOTING...

NO rootscan on startup
NO enable raw disk access during boot scan
NO skip checking of digital signatures
TICK enable self defence
TICK load avast only after other system services

From this it would appear that EMU/Creative Labs are utilising RAW disk access to load effects presets to their hardware. And if Avast! is (1) able to access this RAW disk activity and additionally (2) it's allowed to get there first - then, as i can too can ruefully testify, it just seems to take about 5 mins for it to finally load up...

Hope this helps!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 08:23:41 AM »
Some of the options are for sure absolutely unrelated to the problem, such as your theory about the raw disk access.
The "raw disk access during the boot-time scan" option has only effect on the boot-time scan - i.e. unless you really scheduled a boot-time scan, it simply cannot have any effect on the computer.
So, I'd say that the only thing that may affect the EMU stuff is the last option - "Load avast! services only after loading other system services". Unchecking the other ones is irrelevant.

JohnSAvast

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »
An issue that nobody seems to have mentioned is the fact that Avast uploads the latest definitions on startup.  It extends my boot time greatly and uses a fair amount of processor time after most apps are up and running.  I can't record video properly for about 4 minutes after boot has been commenced.  The updating on startup is not a problem; the fact that it cannot be turned off as an option is.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »
Then you can delay the avast auto update check (it isn't uploading but downloading if an update is available):
- In avast5 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security