Author Topic: getting error side by side configuration is incorrect can't get avast to work  (Read 122486 times)

kathyc59

the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. please see the application event log for more detail
I needed to redown load the program because subscription expired, but I keep on getting this error. please help
kathyc59@hotmail.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Sorry I haven't got a solution for you I haven't come across this one before.

Try a forum search for "side-by-side configuration is incorrect" without the quotes, in the avast free/pro/suite forum as I believe this has cropped up before.

What version of avast are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?
What is your operating system ?

I would suggest you modify your post, removing your email address unless you particularly like spam.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Peetah

This problem really sucks.... but there is a solution (This works on a x86 Vista. x64 should be similar).

1. Download the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable package from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en#Requirements
2. Attempt to execute it. It should extract the files and install it.
3. Now try to start Avast. If it doesn't work and you get the side by side error, continue.
4. Create a folder called "ms" (without the quotes) on your root directory of your hard drive ex. c:\ms
5. Copy the file you downloaded into that directory
6. Go to the command line with administrator privileges.
6a. If you don't know how to do it, go to All Programs > Accessories. Find Command Prompt. Hover over it. Right click and click on "Run as administrator".
7. Type the following and press enter: cd \ms
8. Type the following and press enter: vcredist_x86.exe -x
9. It will ask you for a directory to save extracted files. Type in c:\ms\extract and click OK.
10. Files will be extracted. Close the command prompt window.
11. Using file explorer go to c:\ms\extract
12. Double click on vc_red.msi (if you have extensions hidden, execute the vc_red that has a type "Windows Installer Package").
13. Installer package will install.
14. Delete c:\ms as you will no longer need it.

Done!

jeffrey9

i got the same problem
i went to the website, but i couldn't find anything that can let me download microsoft visual c++ 2008 redistributable package
i then downloaded it from another site
i tried to install it as the steps above, but i got an error message:
"Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly
'Microsoft.VC90.ATL, version="9.0.30729.1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"".
Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:0x80070424."
my os is windows vista home premium sp2 64-bit, can anybody help me with my problem?

Peetah

i got the same problem
i went to the website, but i couldn't find anything that can let me download microsoft visual c++ 2008 redistributable package
i then downloaded it from another site
i tried to install it as the steps above, but i got an error message:
"Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly
'Microsoft.VC90.ATL, version="9.0.30729.1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"".
Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:0x80070424."
my os is windows vista home premium sp2 64-bit, can anybody help me with my problem?

The solution that I posted one message above yours fixes the problem.

kathyc59

I tryed several times petah, but the download comes up with a error, 1935 i believe it doesn't work for my computer

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
I guess it would be better if you use the x64 installer.

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2008 (x64)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

biz_kid1

I just got Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (x64) and had this issue, too.  I used Peetah's instructions, except for Step #2, I Googled "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)" and got this link and downloaded it instead.

My Avast still didn't work, so I had to proceed with the instructions Peetah listed, EXCEPT step #12, I right-clicked and "Run As Administrator...", then UNINSTALLED Avast, rebooted and REINSTALLED and it worked just fine!

Hopefully, this will work for you, too!  Good luck!

CoganKnowsBest

Hey guys,

I've the same problem. I tired downloading the stuff from microsoft, both the 64 bit an the 84 bit cos I didn't know which one I needed. I got error 1935 with both downloads. I then tried using the command pathway but it didn't recognise the command. Please help!! Sorry if I didn't ive enough info I don't know a lot about computers.

Chancy_06

Hey ya'll.... question.

These fixes are all for (x64) or (x86) - anything for the same problem with an (x32)?
I've been trying to find ways around this for days now.

philipew

Re: getting error side by side configuration is incorrect can't get avast to work
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »
I have the same problem when tryin to install updates like one for GoogleEarth for example, or when trying to run a file that I have just downloaded.

So I did exactly what you prescribe, and twice... it didn't help. Can you suggest anything?

philipew

Re: getting error side by side configuration is incorrect can't get avast to work
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
I did exactly what you prescribe above (twice) and no change, can you suggest anything else?

Dch48

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
I had the problem on the Vista machine here and it was caused by the Avast! installer not correctly installing the C++2008 files. The only thing that fixed it was to first completely uninstall Avast!. Use the removal tool afterwards to be sure all of it is gone. Then download the C++ 2008 redistributable from the Microsoft site and install it. Then you can install Avast! and everything should be fine.
Remember to then run Windows update to get the latest patches to the C++ package.

just4

Hi, I had the same problem with windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I tried two steps from the second post and it worked fine.
Now the avast is running fine.
1. Just download Visual C++ 2008 from the link that person provided and run the program.
Hope that helps.

Darkmoonsjk

install c++ from that first, uninstall Avast! reboot and reinstall it again. it's normally work for me.