Author Topic: Internet Explorer Won't Open Web Sites With Avast 5.0.418  (Read 7571 times)

SolutionsAbound

Internet Explorer Won't Open Web Sites With Avast 5.0.418
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:12:51 AM »
I have IE 7 and Windows XPSP3. I was not able to open any Web sites when I downloaded Avast 5.0.396 although I was connected to the Internet. I was advised by this forum to go to Tools-Internet Options- Connections Tab-Select my dial-up connection-click Settings-Check "Use Proxy Server For This Connection"-write 127.0.0.1 or localhost into the address field and enter 12080 into the port field, then click O.K.  After I did this I was able to access all Web sites. Now that I have downloaded Avast 5.0.418 I am having the same problem. Whether I use these new settings or I revert to previous connection settings, I still can't access any Web sites even though I am definitely connected to the Internet. The only way I can access any Web sites is if I turn the Web Shield in Avast off. I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet Explorer Won't Open Web Sites With Avast 5.0.418
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:02:21 AM »
Why were you advised to do this as under normal circumstances this is unnecessary ?

I would suggest reversing the settings you put in the browser and leaving it like that for now.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have you tried to connect using a different browser, firefox or opera, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SolutionsAbound

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:22:20 AM »
My Firewall is free ZoneAlarm. Even going back to the old connection settings does not allow me to access any Web sites. ZoneAlarm allows AvastSvc.exe Internet access, but I can now only access Web sites if I turn off the Web Shield. I don't have any other browser aside from Internet Explorer 7.

Hally

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:37:40 PM »
Hi  :)

Zone Alarm seems to get mentioned time and time again on this forum.
First with Avast 4.8 - & - Now with Avast 5   ::)

I'm Using.. PC Tools Firewall Plus
But I do sometimes wonder if something I did ( Before Installing - Avast 5 ) might have helped me  :-\
Basically!
I opened my Firewall - PC Tools Firewall Plus
And I deleted all the redundant application entry's for the old - Avast 4.8

The only Internet problem I have with Avast 5 .. Is exactly the same one I had with Avast 4.8  :(
And That Is...
The little Internet Globe Icon in my Taskbar has a tendency to vanish when using Avast ( 5 - or - 4.8 )
Opening a Browser or Webpage brings my Internet straight back again.
Very Annoying!  >:(
However! - Thank God! ..  My surfing speeds are not in anyway affected by this  8)

Hally

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:03:16 PM »
My Firewall is free ZoneAlarm. Even going back to the old connection settings does not allow me to access any Web sites. ZoneAlarm allows AvastSvc.exe Internet access, but I can now only access Web sites if I turn off the Web Shield. I don't have any other browser aside from Internet Explorer 7.

Did you not do as suggested delete any avast entries to force ZA to ask permission again. Zone Alarm has form for this sort of thing, whilst the program settings say it is allowed it is still blocked.

My suggestion was none to subtly hint to try another browser to see if it was a browser related problem if it wasn't the firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SolutionsAbound

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
Considering that the problem might be with ZoneAlarm, I simply reverted to my original connection settings, turned off ZoneAlarm, and turned it right back on again with no further difficulties.

Hally

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
Hi   :)

That's Great News!

Glad You're All Sorted  ;)

Hally

SolutionsAbound

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:08:56 AM »
As I mentioned, I cannot access any Web sites unless I turn off Web Shield in Avast. David, if you happen to read my message here, are you saying that I should delete every and all entries for Avast! in my Zone Alarm firewall and then reconnect to the Internet?  There are several entries, one for Web scanning, one for e-mail, one for virus updates, etc. When looking at the file names of these in the firewall, some of the file names have Avast 4 in them and others have Avast 5. I have Avast version 5.0.418. Once I reconnect to the Internet and Zone Alarm asks for permission again, will it add version 5 of Avast to its list? I was told by Avast technical support that Web Shield needs firewall permission to access the Internet and that ashWebSv.dll must be listed in the firewall. It isn't. The only thing close to it is in the Avast Web Scanner, and the file name listed is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe. This is one of the entries that has Avast 4 in it instead of Avast 5. Thanks for your replies and patience.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 05:36:38 AM »
It's been a long time since I've used ZoneAlarm.  I'm using the old Sygate Personal Firewall.  When I updated to Avast 5, I removed all entries for Avast in the firewall.  When Avast attempted to access the internet, Sygate asked for permission and I granted it.

There are four entries for Avast 5 in Sygate now.
AvastUI.exe
AvastSvc.exe
aswRunDll.exe
avastsetup.exe
all from the Avast5 install directory.

ZoneAlarm should ask for permission when a program attempts to connect to the internet.  At least the version I tried several years ago did.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

olddog

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 06:11:46 AM »
SolutionsAbound,

Your last 2 post seem to conflict, so I'm not sure whether you have solved your problem or not.
As you can see from my signature, I am using Zone Alarm on XP SP3.  

For Avast 5 on XP SP3 there need only be three entries in Zone Alarm. They are:

avast! Antivirus  (c:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe)

avast! antivirus Update (c:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\avast.setup)

avast! Service  (c:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe)

As David suggested, delete all of the existing entries in Zone Alarm and then when it asks, give these permission and tick the remember box.