Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)
Web Shield seems to cause slow internet connections
<< < (9/12) > >>
tommytinkroom:
Hi olddog,Are you a dingo? Just keeping you posted,i've had a reply from awil asking for more indepth specs of my pc and a hijack logfile which i have sent them.So i'm waiting for another reply.This is the email they sent me.
Posted On: 02.03.2010 07:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Neil!

Thank you for contacting ALWIL Software company with your concerns.

My name is Michal and I am happy to assist you today.

Unfortunately, you doesn't provide us with enough information to investigate described issue. When sending an inquiry to our Support Team, please check whether you provide us with the following:

What operating system are you using? (e.g. Windows 2000 Server...)

What version of avast! are you using? (e.g. 4.0.160 - you can find this information in the "About avast!..." dialog)

What version of VPS file are you using? (e.g. 0303-10, 04/15/2003 - you can find this information in "About avast!..." dialog)

What is your basic hardware configuration? (e.g. Intel Pentium III 800 MHz, 128 MB RAM)

How do you connect to Internet? (e.g. dial-up, using a proxy server, using a firewall...)

What is your e-mail client? (e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express, IncrediMail...)

Do you use other security software? Which one? (e.g. Norton Antivirus...)

What are the steps to reproduce the bug again? (such as what was the system doing at the time of the problem...)

Are there any error messages appear? If yes, what exactly do they say?

HijackThis log file created by following these simple instructions:

1. Download HijackThis utility from www.hijackthis.de, save it onto your desktop.
2. Run HijackThis and select "Do a system scan" and save log file (it should be as text file on your desktop with the name "hijackthis.log")text document).
3. Send us the created log file via e-mail as an attachment (not in message body!)

With these informations and with the file hijackthis.log we'll be able to help (hopefully).
__
Best regards

Michal Zrubecky
ALWIL Software a.s. 
olddog:

--- Quote from: tommytinkroom on March 02, 2010, 10:21:35 AM ---Hi olddog,Are you a dingo?

--- End quote ---

No just an old street wise domestic type!

--- Quote ---....What version of avast! are you using? (e.g. 4.0.160 - you can find this information in the "About avast!..." dialog)

What version of VPS file are you using? (e.g. 0303-10, 04/15/2003 - you can find this information in "About avast!..." dialog)

--- End quote ---

Doesn't really fill me with confidence when the response cheat sheet they are working from is so old, but I hope your efforts will result in something worthwhile. 
psikofunkster:
Maybe im not helping with my comment but i had this issue with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, no problems with Avast Internet Security so far regarding the same issue.
tommytinkroom:
Hi olddog, Just got a reply from alwil,i followed they're email instructions to the letter but it made absolutely no difference.Here it is below. Regards Neil.
 Posted On: 10.03.2010 15:41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

there's a new version of avast! 5 (5.0.462) available; it contains some fixes and improvements in firewall module - could you please download an install this version an let us know the result?

The recommended procedure is to perform a new "fresh" install of avast! 5:
- uninstall any existing instance of avast! antivirus usual way:
-- navigate to Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs (MS Windows 2000 and XP) or Programs and Features (MS Windows Vista and 7)
-- select the installed version of avast! 5 (avast! Internet Security, avast! Pro Antivirus or avast! Free Antivirus) then click Change/Remove (MS Windows 2000 and XP) or Uninstall/Change (MS Windows Vista and 7)
-- in avast! Setup window, select Uninstall then click Next
-- click Yes to proceed
-- reboot your computer when prompted
-- download then run avast! Uninstall utility (http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility) to remove all remnants (if the current instance of avast! is corrupt, the standard uninstall procedure above can fail to remove it completely)
-- reboot your computer
- download then run avast! 5 setup; to ensure the full administrator's rights, don't double-click the file but right-click it then select "Run as Administrator" (MS Windows Vista and 7) or "Run as..." (MS Windows XP - pick "The following user" option in the dialog then select "Administrator" and enter the password). In case of MS Windows 2000 make sure you are logged on as Administrator.
- when prompted for the license details, pick "Supply a license file" then browse for your license file
- wait until the setup is fished; reboot your computer when prompted

Vojtech Nekvapil
2nd Level Technical Support & Quality Assurance
ALWIL Software a.s.

ALWIL Software a.s. support

Avast Internet Security is available here http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais_eng.exe
Avast Pro Antivirus is available here http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro_eng.exe
Avast Free Antivirus is available here http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe

Kind Regards
Vojta Nekvapil

2nd Level Technical Support
ALWIL Software a.s.
http://support.avast.com  

tommytinkroom:
Hi olddog, Disregard my last post,because for some reason my dl speed has returned to normal after trying again with webshield on(4hrs later) Regards Neil
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version