Author Topic: Avast 5 Web Shield blocking web browsers internet access!!!!  (Read 10740 times)

DelYunque

Avast 5 Web Shield blocking web browsers internet access!!!!
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »
Howdy all, I downloaded Avast 5, installed it an all went perfect. Program was working fine till I restarted my router due to a short power outage in my neighborhood. Both IE 8 & Firefox stopped accessing the internet when the web shield is active in avast 5. I've tried adding manually Avast 5 in the exception list of the ms firewall to see if that helped including all the .EXE files inside the subfolders in the hard drive where avast is located with no success. I even turned off the firewall as well and still nothing. I tried reinstalling Avast to find a fix but still continues. My router, reguardless of being restarted doesn't lose it's configurations and I don't have it's built in Firewall enabled either. I even tried connecting dirrectly from the cable modem, ditching the router temporarily, still nada... I remember when i was using version 4.8 it happened due to a glitch on one of the patches, (updates) and a fix several hours on the servers was created to address that problem. Any ideas what is going on???
System specs: WinXp pro sp3
AMD Phenom x4 2.2 Ghz
4 Gig ddr2
Nvidia 260 GT 886 mb
Belkin Wireless G router
Latest Avast 5 ver. 5.0.418 Virus def:100-219-0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 5 Web Shield blocking web browsers internet access!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:21:54 PM »
I even tried connecting dirrectly from the cable modem
Strange...

Can you browse with Safe Mode and Networking?
The best things in life are free.

Aboshi

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:46:13 AM »
Seeing avast wants to be a POS with the web shiled and not allowing internet connection when active I had to figure out what was going wrong...

I have found the very easy fix:
open avast
click settings on the top right
click troubleshooting
click redirect settings
remove everything in every slot
uncheck ignore local communication

Now you will be able to browse the web again!

Avast coders:
Next time make a working product!
Or grow some common sense on answering peoples questions!

Hope this helps all of you out there having this issue!

My system:
windows 7 x64

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:08:40 AM »
Aboshi, I think you'll find that avast isnt scanning you web traffic anymore either. You didn't give much time for people to troubleshoot your problem for you. Plus the thread you've posted in is from febuary.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:12:15 AM by craigb »

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:40:12 AM »
Latest Avast 5 ver. 5.0.418
You first need to update to the current version of Avast to 5.0.677.

You may want to update us as to exactly what your issues are now since it has been 8 months since you began this thread.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
You fell into the trap of responding to a post that is 8 months old. Plus they didn't respond to Tech's reply, so the topic was/is effectively dead.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Snorch

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
Seeing avast wants to be a POS with the web shiled and not allowing internet connection when active I had to figure out what was going wrong...

open avast
click troubleshooting
click redirect settings

Avast coders:

My system:
windows 7 x64

Oh yes! It works!! Thanks a lot! I have Avast Free 5.0.677 version and it suddenly broke my internet browser and now it works correctly with this solution! Thanks again. I was going crazy with this..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
As has been said, this isn't a solution as it effectively disables the web shield (it doesn't scan anything), so you might as well just disable the web shield than this long winded non-solution. If however, I suggest you start your own new topic and we will see if your problem can't be resolved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »
You fell into the trap of responding to a post that is 8 months old. Plus they didn't respond to Tech's reply, so the topic was/is effectively dead.
@ DavidR, That applies to Posts starting with #2.  I agree with you. 

@ DelYunque,

Please start a New Topic and we will help you there since this thread is not current

Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.  Thank you.

SafeSurf

Re: Avast 5 Web Shield blocking web browsers internet access!!!! )
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
(Bump)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:44:57 AM by SafeSurf »

greyhnds

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 03:00:57 AM »
I just did this and it worked for me!  I checked and Avast says the web shield is running.  I will keep checking for a better solution from Avast.  But until then I can use my internet.

open avast
click troubleshooting
click redirect settings

Avast coders:

My system:
windows 7 x64

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 03:20:09 AM »
I just did this and it worked for me!  I checked and Avast says the web shield is running.  I will keep checking for a better solution from Avast.  But until then I can use my internet.
<snip>

The web shield might be running but as I keep saying you have stopped it scanning by killing the redirects means it isn't going to go to the web shield proxy to be scanned.

You only need to open the Real-time Shields, Web Shield, settings and check how many pages it has scanned 'zero'.