Author Topic: Auto connect to internet when I'm not around  (Read 2805 times)

kckazoo04

Auto connect to internet when I'm not around
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
Hi - thanks for reading and hopefully helping me out.  I had to switch to IE8 and besides all the problems that comes with that in itself it seems as though my computer is suddenly connecting to the internet at different times of the day by itself and it is usually associated with an Avast update.  When I was using IE6 for years and years I never had this problem. I am using Version 4+ which I have been using since before the upgrade to IE8.  I have had problems setting up my internet connection but it is working acceptably now, just not the way it used to.  I am on dial up and Win OS is XPSP2. Hopefully this is clear enough for anyone/everyone to understand. Again, thank you in advance for your time and knowledge. KC

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Auto connect to internet when I'm not around
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »
avast does not establish connections (phone home, dial, etc.). Once you (or the computer) establish one, it updates.
Some program is doing so.
Or virus ;)

I suggest SP3 for your Windows also ;)
The best things in life are free.

kckazoo04

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
Thank you. I heard there were problems with SP3 and I am trying to work my way through some of the tech talk I've been reading unless you feel with your knowledge base that I am wasting my time and shouldn't worry about it.

Also, would you know how I could find out what program is making my computer dial up.  I run scans frequently with Avast that I don't think I have a virus but these days, who knows?  I have not loaded in any new software -- IE8 is the only new thing I've done in the past 7-10 days.

Again, many thanks. KC

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »
Thank you. I heard there were problems with SP3 and I am trying to work my way through some of the tech talk I've been reading unless you feel with your knowledge base that I am wasting my time and shouldn't worry about it.
Well, I've installed SP3 in a lot of computers... is what I could say by experience.

Also, would you know how I could find out what program is making my computer dial up.  I run scans frequently with Avast that I don't think I have a virus but these days, who knows?  I have not loaded in any new software -- IE8 is the only new thing I've done in the past 7-10 days.
A firewall would help. Also, do you see anything strange in the task manager (ctlr+alt+del)?
The best things in life are free.

kckazoo04

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
Well, I will attempt to install SP3 after I find this bug.

As for Task Manager - I see 2 iexplore.exe both and as for the other processes I guess I'm not sure if anything else looks amiss

kckazoo04

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:32:13 PM »
PS - I believe I do have the windows firewall set to on but that's about it - I don't know if it has settings I should be using and I probably shouldn't be taking up your time with this - I feel rather guilty since this is an Avast forum-- :) Thanks