Author Topic: Unsecured system  (Read 24664 times)

syaochan

Re: Unsecured system
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »
Based on what I've googled, resolutions offered include:

*Windows Update
*Uninstall/Reinstall
*Repair

I didn't try the former, the second didn't work, and the latter is unavailable in my Control Panel (weird, no?) So what I did was:

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Change/Remove > Update Components. Latest version is unknown, but after checking for updates and proceeding to update the program (and of course restart the PC), it worked! :)

I hope this helps in any way-- I spent 5 hrs all in all with this problem! 4 hrs in scanning for malware and 1 hr for googling. :p

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »
Any other security program that could interfere? An old antivirus installation?
For some reason, did you use Windows System Restore?
I'm trying to get what's wrong... but another possibility is an infection that corrupted avast installation... Maybe an online scanning or with MBAM.
The best things in life are free.

gulfcoastguy

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:40 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and even as I type this, my Avast V goes to unsecured....arrrrgh!!!  I've tried all the suggestions posted here with no success.  I'm running XP Pro and have all the updates from Microsoft.  It looks like the best solution is to go back to the previous version which never gave me any trouble.  Too bad, I like the new look and features.  It's a real pain having to constantly monitor something that's supposed to be worry free.  If I find a solution later, I'll post it, but I'm not too hopeful.

bong2x

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
microsoft unknown updates make avast crazy?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
microsoft unknown updates make avast crazy?
I don't think so.
Seems a virus definitions update... or something related to avast itself.
The best things in life are free.

Cortex88

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »
The problem is that your Avast service isn't running. What worked for me (and everyone else I assume) is:

Easy solution for most cases:
Open msconfig (just type it in the search section of your Windows start menu).
Go to the 'services' tab and find 'avast! Antivirus'. Just enable the service by putting a 'v' and in a minute or two you will be able to successfully press 'Fix It' in your Avast program.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:37:34 PM by Cortex88 »

Cortex88

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
@ vtajen

Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half that provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

No matter how pro you are with computers, in this case my friend you made it way too difficult to solve the problem :-) The only thing here was just a stopped avast! service..

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
 Cortex88 please read the dates of the posts you are replying to as these are all early 2010  ::)