Author Topic: 5.0.418 AV and floppy drive problem  (Read 18691 times)

Offline ToM ™

• Avast team
Re: 5.0.418 AV and floppy drive problem
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »
Hi,

could you try un-check both boxes in "Files System Shield" -> "Expert Settings" -> "Scan when Attaching"

thank

Clato

this is what I am looking for in AVAST 5.0
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 01:28:11 PM »
First off I need to say what a really great application Avast 5 AV is, I just came from using Kaspersky when my license expired and after trying out a lot of the competition find this to be among the top both in term of features and user friendliness (love that new user interface).

Ah yes but I didn’t register just to offer praise, after installing 5.0.418 Pro on two of my laptops and thinking I was ready to buy the license I installed it on my desktop system (running Xp Pro) and found a bug that makes use for me highly annoying.
See my desktop system still has a 3.5” floppy disk drive (remember them, hey I still like to run old DOS apps too), after installing Avast 5 each time I use Windows explorer to view “My Computer” it tries to access the floppy (A:\) drive even though there is no disk in the drive thus resulting in the drive searching (grinding noise) for a few seconds before shutting off. Additionally when I click on the floppy drive in explorer with no disk inserted I’m presented with a dialog box telling me the disk isn’t formatted instead of the usual operation which in which explorer displays a dialog asking you to insert a disk in drive A:

In an effort to try and isolate the problem I’ve disabled all shields (same problem)
Uninstalled Avast but not rebooted (same problem)
Uninstalled Avast and allowed system to reboot (problem solved)
Reinstalled Avast just to see if problem behavior returns (yes it does)

In a effort to eliminate a possible conflict between Avast and my particular hardware as a cause I have an old PIII system set up triple boot (Xp, Win7 & Vista) that I use for testing during software development, just for fun I hooked up an old floppy drive to that system and installed 5.0.418 in both Xp and Win7 and on both OS’s explorer still tries to access the floppy drive when opening “My Computer (Xp) or Computer (Win7)” from the desktop until Avast is uninstalled and the system allowed to reboot.

Hope this is fixed in a future update as I really like the new Avast (that old UI in 4 was too funky)

Savoir

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 10:03:32 PM »
Count me as one of the disgruntled .......
A:\ queried everytime I open Explorer\My Computer
XP Pro SP3 on a computer that I built .........

Savoir

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »
Hi,

could you try un-check both boxes in "Files System Shield" -> "Expert Settings" -> "Scan when Attaching"

thank

Tried it ........ no effect!
I've even tried disabling all Real Time Shields ....... no joy.
Everytime I open Explorer/My Computer Avast 5 grinds away at my Floppy drive.
Very annoying !!

Savoir

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »
Bump !

Offline jhanks64

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »
I just installed Windows XP Pro fresh on a computer and towards the end, I installed Avast 5.0 Pro.  Every time I open up "My Computer" or Windows Explorer, the floppy drive is accessed and frequently the icons on the desktop disappear and then come back.  There is a big delay going on.

I did try turning off those two settings in the "Files System Shield" -> "Expert Settings" -> "Scan when Attaching", it made no difference.

Previously this computer had been using 4.8 and upgrade to 5.0 without the problem.  Then the Hard Drive died and I installed a new one and re-loaded Windows XP and the software.

Savoir

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »
I am also among the disgruntled .....
I disabled the floppy drive in Device Manager and the floppy disk check went away ... as did the delay in opening Explorer\My Computer  (XP operating system).
This is not an acceptable solution in my book but, at least the annoyance has been mitigated.

fp252

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 07:26:04 AM »
I too am having this problem. It happens every time I access the C: root folder through My Computer; Windows Explorer freezes for a few seconds, I hear the floppy drive attempting to read, then WE returning to normal. Occasionally happens with the subfolders as well after navigating away from the root directory.

I have had Avast! installed for about 2 years, and this problem had only started occurring a few weeks ago.

adam4900

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
i paid for 4.8 internet security 3year license, and recently updated to 5.0 pro (free upgrade) not the internet security paid version. that caused no problems, however as a paying customer would have been nice to get the full upgrade for free as i only recently paid for 4.8. anyhow upgrading didnt cause a problem, problem started after i installed a copy of dvd fab 6 cracked by final. didnt like the fact that i had hacked/cracked drivers from that software and that the floppy noise would happen each time i opened my computer so uninstalled but still get the noise? dvd fab scanned and no virus but id rather a simple serial! alot safer

PabloBlau

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
I have the same problem with Windows XP Pro and Avast 5.1.889. I've been using version 4.8 for almost 2 years and have'nt had any problems. For now the only solution is to disable the floppy drive.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »
Does the problem occur +/- 8 minutes after making logon or it occurs all the time?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »

PabloBlau

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
It occurs all the time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
Try disabling the Behavior Shield then (Control Panel > Programs > avast > Remove > Change > uninstall BeS.

PabloBlau

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
Hi Tech !!

I uninstalled the Behavior Shield, as you told me, and now the problem is solved. You have found the solution quickly!! Thank you very much.

Only one question: Can I leave the Behavior Shield removed?

These are the features of the Behavior Shield that I found on the avast website:
Behavior Shield: Monitors activity on the computer using various sensors (system files, registry and network) and blocks and reports any suspicious behavior.

Thanks for your help and your time.