Author Topic: AIS blocking XBox360 Media Center connection  (Read 12177 times)

Alemaker

AIS blocking XBox360 Media Center connection
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:35:19 AM »
Hi,
    What process do I add to the firewall exceptions to allow my XBox360 Media Center to work? I can stream from the pc to the Xbox fine with the music/photo dashboards in the 360 but trying to launch Media Center, I get blocked by the Avast firewall. Any help is appreciated.  ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:04:25 AM by Alemaker »

Alemaker

Re: AIS blocking XBox360 Media Center connection
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:11 AM »
bump- Anyone???

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »
Hi Alemaker,

This is quite an odd one (As you can tell, with no responses...)

However, I will guess a little.

I also own an Xbox 360, however I have not bothered with media center and this pc, as with my last one I always struggled with it...
Also bear in mind that I don't run AIS (I have the free version) so I am speculating somewhat...

Nevertheless...

You ask for the process of Media Center - On my pc it runs under the process: ehshell.exe (pretty weird if you ask me...)

Mine is here: C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe

I have also found this:
XP     --> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/setup/firewall/config.mspx
Vista  -->http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/learn-more/extenders/help/extenders-firewalls.aspx

Do these help?

-Scott-

Alemaker

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:06:16 AM »
Thanks for the help. I decided to not use AIS anymore and stick with Pro. The firewall was causing me too many issues. Thanks again though.  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the help. I decided to not use AIS anymore and stick with Pro. The firewall was causing me too many issues. Thanks again though.  8)
Try the latest 5.0.454. Some firewall issues were addressed.
The best things in life are free.

hidere

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:17:16 PM »
I have input all of the listed ports via the firewall application rules, entering each listed "exe" file, and incoming and outgoing ports listed.  

I still get a PC failed, when I test my 360,  has a pretty X between my wireless router, and my PC.    I CAN get it to work, if I first turn OFF the firewall, (it connects and can play media), and I can even turn the firewall back on and it will continue to play the media, even letting me change my directories on my HD, as long as I do not disconnect from the PC itself.

This is ridiculous, since I can use PC Tools firewall Plus, with NO problem connecting at all.

Some help from avast, would sure be nice.    I received one email, from support, which led me to where to input the ports, but when I had additional questions no response, after 1 1/2 weeks after 2nd email

BTW, so no confusing anyone, this is not in reference to media center, this is just trying to use avast 5 and 360 wirelessly
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:20:58 PM by hidere »

jortegabravo

Re: AIS blocking XBox360 Media Center connection (SOLUTION!)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
Hi Everyone!

After spending many many hours figuring out how to have my XBOX Windows Media Center, My PC connection from XBOX, MY PlayOn, My XBMC from My XBOX all to get connected with avast firewall running on my PC finally I GOT IT to work. I can't allow to have avast firewall OFF on my PC :).

This is the Solution to make it work:

Go to gpedit.msc on you windows. (after figuring out that RDP is necessary to authenticate to XBOX)

Then look for:

computer configuration - Administrator Templates - Windows Components - Remote desktop Services - Remote Desktop session host - Security -

*Set Client Computer Level ("Enable" and at Encryption Level [change it to Client Compatible]) Then Apply and OK

*Always prompt for a password upon connection. ( DISABLE ) Apply and OK

Now you are good to GO!

On Avast firewall you do not need to allow internet to windows application that you may not like to have them access.

My preferences on my avast firewall is the following:

On Windows media center store update (Internet Out)

On Windows Media Center (Internet Out)

Windows Live Messenger (Internet Out)

Internet Explorer (Internet Out)

Microsoft Outlook (Internet Out)

For the rest of windows application(Friends in/out)

Note: This are my avast windows firewall setting this is not necessary for you to have XBOX get connected to PC using Avast Firewall.

Good Luck.

God Bless!

Jonathan Ortega.

hidere

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 06:51:40 AM »
no