Author Topic: Avast 5 registration failed and now it doesn't let me register again  (Read 6108 times)

babo121

Ok, I downloaded and installed Avast 5 free without problem until the registration process. I tried to register online, I filled the form in the Maintenance/Registration tab of the avast User Interface but when I clicked in the "Register Free License" button nothing happened, the registration window went idle for about 30min until I closed the program.

when I opened the program again to see if the registration was finished the program say I was already registered, yet the expiration date remained the same that I had before registratio,n wich in my case was 3 days after I installation (I installed in 2/10/2010 and my expiration date was 2/13/2010).

Now the expiration date has passed, the antivirus detects threats but can't clean/delete them since its expired yet the program sitill shows the "Registered" label in the Maintenance/Registration tab and the "Register Now" button and the "offline registration" tile ARE NOT DISPLAYED  so that I can't enter a new license, the only option it gives me is to upgrade to Avast Pro/Internet Security (wich is no option since I had the intention of testing the program first).

I already tried reinstalling Avast 5 Free but the problem remains the same, my expiration date is 3 days away from the installation date, the program considers itself to be no longer registered but the display says it is and gives me no option to renovate/introduce a license file.

My question is How can I register an Avast free license in my computer?outside of the User Interface or How can I fix the program so that It will no longer consider itsef registered when its not?

I'll really appreciate your help.

I'm running windows XP by the way.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5 registration failed and now it doesn't let me register again
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
You can register outside of the UI and the registration will be emailed to you, but it doesn't look like you have a way of inputting it into the UI.
Registration avast5:
How to register avast 5 free on page 8
http://www.avast.com/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf
Also see http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459.

So first - Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't work try, a clean reinstall.
Download the latest version of avast if you didn't save it before http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here ensure you get the version5 one, aswClear5.exe and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility  from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

babo121

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »
I don't have access to my PC right now but as soon as I can I'll try the Repair and Clean install options and see if any of them works and report the results.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Let us know how you get on.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security