Author Topic: Possible to update from user interface?  (Read 3695 times)

dionisiog

Possible to update from user interface?
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
The old Avast sometimes would easily take 15 minutes or more to begin to update when you asked it to do so.  Considering that I am not the kind of person who likes to live on the internet and that I have dial up,  this engendered a need for some patience.

I have found that the newer version often never updates from the regular interface.  It always has problems trying to connect to your servers, the process takes forever and is frequently reporting errors because it cannot connect.

It is necessary for me to go into the "Add or Removre Programs" interface and initiate the program from there,  and afterwards search for updates and update if there are some available.

I don't know if you are offering less updates for this version,  but usually my older verson of Avast would find updates each time I logged on (several times a day.)  With this version,  I can log on 12 hours later and it says there is nothing new available.  Are you offering less frequent updates for the newer version?

There should be some way to speed up the updating progress or priority of this version.

I also am wondering if this is still a beta version.  It took me forever to manage to download this version because the download speed was awful.  I assumed when I was offered a new version that it was ready to use,  and not in beta.  I would have preferred to use the older version until the bugs had been worked out in this version,   as nice as it appears to be.

The interface is more atractive,  and I like the pre-boot scan option,  but if if this program has more problems updating than the version which it replaced (and that version was slow to update) than it doesn't at first glance appear to be an improvement.  It is likely that you have added many improvements which I am not aware of,  however.

Sorry to seem negative, but the updating is outrageously bad.  I hope that you can do something about this soon so that each time when I return to connect to the web,  this function won't preoccupy my total internet time,  and then some.  I would think that this last would mean a lot to you,  as I believe that most people switch to other antivirus software for this very same reason.  I mean,  what is the use of antivirus software if you can't get it to update?

Thanks for listening,  and I hope that this bug and others that you may be working with get solved soon.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Possible to update from user interface?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »
Do you have the latest release V 5.0.418 ?
I think virus definitions are released twice a day and moore if need
No problem with updating on my system (broadband) DavidR have dial-up and i have never heard him complaine ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »
No problems here either using the auto update function or manual update from the UI.

Quote from: dionisiog
I have found that the newer version often never updates from the regular interface.

Why, e.g. what errors are displayed, etc. ?
Can you list the actions that you took to do this update and what happened.

What is your operating system ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jennkate

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »
I recently updated from version 4 to version 5.  With version 4 I had no problem updating manually.  Now with version 5 when I try a manual update I get error: cannot connect to server.  I would like to know how to fix this and also how to check when program was automatically updated.

hpguru

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
Do you try repair installation?

Welcome to forum!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
I recently updated from version 4 to version 5.  With version 4 I had no problem updating manually.  Now with version 5 when I try a manual update I get error: cannot connect to server.  I would like to know how to fix this and also how to check when program was automatically updated.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jennkate

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:36:08 PM »
Comodo is my firewall.  I've deleted avast.setup and I'm still getting cannot connect to server

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »
But when you manually try to update, doesn't Comodo ask for permission again?
If not, well, it's not well installed or configurated.
The best things in life are free.

jennkate

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
When I turned Comodo off I was able to get Avast to update. Thank you for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
When I turned Comodo off I was able to get Avast to update. Thank you for your help.
So, it's a Comodo glitch, not asking for avast to connect. Sometimes, it's just booting to solve this...
The best things in life are free.