Author Topic: Matousec test - oops!  (Read 7613 times)

vv5204

Matousec test - oops!
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »

ArtemisF0wl

Re: Matousec test - oops!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »
It's my understanding that AIS never claimed to have HIPS functionality, therefore it's not really surprising. (I could be wrong)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:30:14 PM by ArtemisF0wl »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 8.0.298.000 FREE   11%   2   None

avast! Internet Security 5.0.418.0   3%   1   None

The free ZA fw beats the avast! fw!?  ???

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:41:17 PM »
firewall was tested... and the results aren't very good. And I don't agree that a firewall should need a HIPS in the background to be good. Comodo firewall would still be brilliant without Def+. That's my opinion and my experience. This said AIS firewall is a nice piece of software, still work in progress, but I wish that Comodo would have been able to produce an AV that matches (in terms of quality), this new firewall.
  It's a first release and for a first release, it's not bad at all. The GUI is very promising, and there's a process control on the way (it's already in the help files), + as stated by the devs several features that are already in the program/engine, but not implemented in the GUI yet. Again, this firewall seems to obey new concepts, and I'm interested.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
Matousec ::)

First question you should ask yourself : What DO they test ???

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:44:35 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
I call my personal selection of security programs "a to Z Internet Security".

It is made up of avast!, Opera, OpenDNS, WinPatrol PLUS & ZoneAlarm.

It no doubt beats the stuffing out of avast! Internet Security. ;D ;D ;D
(I'm making fun of Matousec's tests)

I don't have any regard for Matousec.  I think the avast! fw is better than most fw's.

Matousec still has the same old Online Armor Personal Firewall 3.5.0.14 Free in this test. ???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:39:30 AM by rdmaloyjr »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »
Matousec ::)

First question you should ask yourself : What DO they test ???

Greetz, Red.

Click on the PDF icon under report to see what tests were performed.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:13:38 AM »
Click on the PDF icon under report to see what tests were performed.

Yes :)

And then you will see that they DON'T test against real threats/malware :-\

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:35:30 AM »
Respectfully, I don't think any firewalls would test well vs. malware. Those tests are for AV's. The matousec tests are such things as loaded drivers, process terminations, etc. which can only be handled by HIPS, unless I'm mistaken(which is entirely possible) ;)

hayc59

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 03:31:03 AM »
I would take what Mr.Matousec says with a small grain of salt!!

sded

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:34:09 AM »
Matousec is really a HIPS tester, although some of the necessary features are built into what are called "Firewalls" today.  I remember Comodo raised Hell with Matousec initially when D+ was run in "not the right mode" and they didn't score well.  Now it has a Matousec mode, a dumb user mode, a smart user mode, and a few others I don't understand at all (in spite of having been a tester and moderator there for a year a while ago).  I have independently tested things like OA with the HIPS turned off against leak tests, and it only scores mid-range.  And I don't expect it to do better against threats that are more effectively countered elsewhere.  Go read Wikipedia about Firewalls and HIPS.  But congratulations to the applications that have packaged things that happen to do well in the Matousec tests.  A good score is certainly a +.  :)
Matousec is a test for resistance to malware that has already taken residence in your computer, which is a good thing to know, but is not always the way the applications package their stuff.  And certainly less than the user wants-they want to never get to that point.  And as pointed out previously, a lot of the features like Behavior Blockers and real time malware evaluation are just too hard to test there.  A HIPS is fairly easy, because the BB/Malware Evaluator is the user, and since you know every popup is malware, you can pretty well ace the test if you at least have the right tools.
But Alwil still needs to deal with the propaganda machine, so it will be interesting to hear their evaluation and plans.  BTW, did you notice that in spite of what Matousec might say, Avast! 5 still got 4.5 stars for its Firewall in the PC Magazine test of suites against important malware?  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:05:41 PM by sded »

sded

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
Can anyone tell whether Matousec ran the default configuration with the other shields active, or just ran the firewall?  Things like behavior blockers and heuristic/code emulation tend to run as an automated HIPS at times, and some of the tests called out look like they might apply.  But of course if you dont' pass the first level you don't get to try the rest anyway.  :(

pinnacle

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
Well that test just settles it for me. im done using Avast. now i need to wait for Matousec to let me know where i should shop, live where to eat, what color shirt to wear on any given day. what a bunch of bull. They are geared to promote those few applications designated as " GET IT NOW "  the Purple zone. They can shove that worthless test up their As#$%@^&!.  WHEW!!.... I feel much better now...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:41:56 PM by pinnacle »

ALIV

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
LOL