Author Topic: Visual C++ 2008 is an essential component of v5 (sheesh! i got it late!)  (Read 6307 times)

cimmind

I was on a software annihilating spree yesterday (happens to me off & on!) using my uninstaller utility. Saw "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148" as one of the installed programs. Could not find any evidence of its association with Avast in the details, and went upon uninstalling it. {On hindsight- should have compared its installation date with that of other software.. that would have given a clue}.

Next day, had to do a reinstall of v5! Realized only during the reinstall, that it was the C++ uninstall that had miffed my earlier installation.

[Edit: Just to specify!]  
NOT reporting a problem, only informing about a fact.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:53:33 PM by Cimmind »

laroc

I find I cannot run Avast 5 because of this error message
the application has failed to start because its side-by -side configuration is incorrect

A Google search tells me that I should have Visual C+++ installed.
Looks as though we have both found a common problem

Haven`t yet tried it though. I had to uninstall5 and re-install 4.8 which took some time to get me back to normal.

psw

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

No, previous link is plain VC2008 redistributable. But avast5 is used VC2008 SP1 ATL Security Update
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2051a0c1-c9b5-4b0a-a8f5-770a549fd78c

Google says that full error message is "the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more details"
So what is a content of event log record for this event?

laroc

Trouble continues - My Vista laptop gives an error message when installing the VC2008 package and then uninstalls itself.

cimmind

Oops! I should have clarified in my original post itself.
I was NOT reporting a problem, only informing about a fact.

Avast had by itself installed C++ 2008, and the reinstall installed it again automatically. Things running well now, and i will not mess with the C++ package now!

An interesting corollary: One of the software i installed later on required C++ 2005. I did not install it, thinking i have already got the 2008 version on. But the software did not work till i installed C++ 2005 too!