Author Topic: Softwares?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Softwares?
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:15:51 PM »
I purchased Snagit, Camtasia Studio, MBAM Pro & SAS Pro..........besides Snagit does one really need Camtasia Studio, MBAM & SAS both real time or none.........cause I can always install it on my gfs pc........my Sony desktop running XP Pro has only 2 GB DDR2 memory & Camtasia, MBAM, SAS real time really slows it down......Dell XPS 1730 with 4 GB memory is fine........but I feel I should not install Camtasia Studio on Sony........what would your suggestions be?

Thanks.

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

Offline polonus

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Softwares?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
Hi Yezinki,

It is the problem for all machines now, MS has overtaken the chipmaker. At 32 bits you have a limit of 4 GB and you can only go beyond on 64 bits. In the days of XP3 this wasn't such a problem but in the days of modern browsers like GoogleChrome, CPU hogs like ThreatFire, people with older computers can have a problem if they do not minimize what essentially starts-up. Check this with StartUp a control program that checks what starts up: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
I would not have MBAM and SAS resident, but as on-demand. Also use some programs installed as portables on a USB stick to circumvent the CPU loads, this is what I should do,

All the best and God Bless,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:12:13 AM »
Thanks polonus for sharing your experienced thoughts.........Personally do you think  2GB of memory is good enough for Camtasia Studio 6......OS is XP Pro?

Regards.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:32:07 AM »
Adding to that its a 1.99 GHZ Core Duo CPU.....an old Sony Vaio VGC-LS1 machine.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:07:29 AM »
Hi Yezinki,

It is the problem for all machines now, MS has overtaken the chipmaker. At 32 bits you have a limit of 4 GB and you can only go beyond on 64 bits. In the days of XP3 this wasn't such a problem but in the days of modern browsers like GoogleChrome, CPU hogs like ThreatFire, people with older computers can have a problem if they do not minimize what essentially starts-up. Check this with StartUp a control program that checks what starts up: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
I would not have MBAM and SAS resident, but as on-demand. Also use some programs installed as portables on a USB stick to circumvent the CPU loads, this is what I should do,

All the best and God Bless,

polonus

Hi polonus,
Personally of the 2 i.e MBAM vs SAS....which one would you have as resident?
Thanks!

emantoyaks

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
i recommend that, make avast the only one who will protect your pc, then the SAS and MBAM will be the one use if the pc will infected, that's what I have doing from now...  8)

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »

I suggest MBAM as the resident.