Author Topic: The red cross and the yellow triangle - is avast! protecting during start-up ?  (Read 6554 times)

mhf

While my PC boots up the red cross (well, red and white) shows on the tray icon meaning that no shields are running, then the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark shows for a while meaning that the web shield and the mail shield (?) are not running and then the extra icons disappear meaning all the shields are running and all's well - however I'd like to know if avast! is protecting this computer during boot time.

The two boot options are checked (rootkits and raw access) in the settings.

Any comments ?

YoKenny

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system if you like just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent hints for your situation.

To answer your question. 

Yes it is protecting your system during boot time and it takes time for the shields to activate their indicators.

olddog

While my PC boots up the red cross (well, red and white) shows on the tray icon meaning that no shields are running, then the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark shows for a while meaning that the web shield and the mail shield (?) are not running and then the extra icons disappear meaning all the shields are running and all's well - however I'd like to know if avast! is protecting this computer during boot time.

The two boot options are checked (rootkits and raw access) in the settings.

Any comments ?

mhf,

My opinion is that that protection may be very limited if any at all for the very short time that the red & white cross is up, but after that when the exclamation is showing, only the mail and web shield are still to start, and you will have the protection of the file shield. I don't run the behaviour shield so I'm not sure what if anything that does during this period. One assumes that during this short period you are not going to have either your mail client or web browser operating anyhow.

Why have you ticked the "Enable rootkit scan on system startup" in the trouble shooting area?. Doing that type of scan each time the PC boots up seems a tad excessive to me.

CBrown

I have a related problem.
I updated a few weeks ago but had no problems at first. Then windows threw up a warning that I was not protected.
The avast icon had disappeared from the start-up screed and I could find nothing on the computer about it- but my computer skills are only basic. However, I still got the flag showing regular updates.
I downloaded avast again from the web.
I no longer get the warning from windows but the red cross / yellow icon tells me that I am not protected.
When I open avast 'Current Status' it tells me the real-time shield is off and the Mail shield is off.
Both of these have 'Turn on' buttons which have dots in their centres.

I have tried all permutations of clicking the 'Fix Now' button, clicking the 'turn on' buttons and restarting each time. Any advice will be gratefully received. Col

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I have a related problem.
I updated a few weeks ago but had no problems at first. Then windows threw up a warning that I was not protected.
The avast icon had disappeared from the start-up screed and I could find nothing on the computer about it- but my computer skills are only basic. However, I still got the flag showing regular updates.
I downloaded avast again from the web.
I no longer get the warning from windows but the red cross / yellow icon tells me that I am not protected.
When I open avast 'Current Status' it tells me the real-time shield is off and the Mail shield is off.
Both of these have 'Turn on' buttons which have dots in their centres.

I have tried all permutations of clicking the 'Fix Now' button, clicking the 'turn on' buttons and restarting each time. Any advice will be gratefully received. Col

Did you have any virusprogram before installing avast ?
Have you removed it using ad/remove programs and reboot ?
Have you then run the uninstall tool for that program to remove all leftovers and reboot ?
uninstall tools can be found here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

have you tried avast repair ?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.