Author Topic: Strange Update behavior  (Read 7771 times)

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
Strange Update behavior
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:03:52 AM »
Hello,

I know there is many posts about v5 updating problems, but I can't solve my problem by them....

Same to earlier posters, I can't update my avast!5 automatically. I already tried these:

* Repair
* "No proxy" settings
* Leave unchecked both update options (my connection is DSL)
* Stop my firewall (Comodo)
* Bypass my Local Proxy (Proxomitron)

I reinstalled my PC yesterday, so I think my avast! installation is nearly scratch.

Here is detailed course...

My avast! doesn't seem to update automatically, so I tried Repair this morning. Then, I opened AvastUI and see maintenance -> Update.
avast! claimed "Virus definition is out of date!" (VPS is 100221-0) ,but never started updating. >:(

After reboot, I opened AvastUI and see maintenance -> Update. avast! says VPS is now 100221-1. No notification. Then I see setup.log, but last entry is Repair... not Update.  ???

I use local proxy, so I try to set avast! to use my local proxy. Trying to update from AvastUI manually... then avast! started updating (VPS 100221-1)! Setup.log has entry about this update. Isn't already updated!?

So I back my setting to "No proxy" and try to update manually. Process stopped "Initializing..." and never start updating. :(

My PC is...
Windows Vista HomePremium SP2 , 2GB RAM
Comodo Internet Security(AV isn't installed, FW and D+ enabled) , Spybot S&D (TeaTimer enabled) , Windows Defender (resident protection enabled) , Windows Firewall

v4.8 works pretty well on my PC. I attach my setup.log only last some entries (all log size is too large). Any ideas for this problem?
P.S. localhost:8090 is my local proxy's setting.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:34:22 AM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

garion1500

Re: Strange Update behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
You may wish to try going to Control Panel, Programs and Features and selecting the uninstall option for avast. It should come up with several options, one of which is 'update components'.  Try selecting that and click Next.  It was the only way I could get it to update itself.  (note that mine is on a winxp machine but you should still get the same options in uninstall).

galooma

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:22:50 AM »
Could it be as simple as letting the firewall or firewalls re-allocate permission to Avast as it may see version 5 as a different program to 4.8 and be stopping it.

good luck

raziel

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:19 AM »
Hi, Alwil Team! I have a request to you. Please check, if Avast! Free 5.0.418 has problems with auto updating, when it's used with formerly obtained registration key from Avast! 4.8 Free, because not only me, but also other people are getting errors, when they try to update virus definitions in Avast! 5.0.418 Free. I'll be grateful for meeting my request.

PS Deleting all rules for previously uninstalled Avast! 4.8 Free in my Ashampoo 1.2 firewall didn't help either.
My laptop is an oldschool HP compaq nc6000. Maybe this Avast! 5.0.418 update issue is due to untypical and obsolete hardware configuration of my laptop or one of its components, e.g. my network adapter card? It has Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet with driver version 6.34.0.0. Could it be the main cause of these issues?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:59:34 AM by raziel »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

You may wish to try going to Control Panel, Programs and Features and selecting the uninstall option for avast. It should come up with several options, one of which is 'update components'.  Try selecting that and click Next.  It was the only way I could get it to update itself.  (note that mine is on a winxp machine but you should still get the same options in uninstall).
Yes, this way works well WITH local proxy, doesn't work WITHOUT local proxy. ???
With "No proxy" setting, Update process stopped at "Downloading servers.def.vpx".
I also can update manually from AvastUI.exe (with local proxy, of course), so maybe there is some difference with yours.

And I was surprised that avast! alarts me there is a rootkit (hidden service) while testing, but its name is "avastTestSvc" (or like that). This may be false alarm, but I accepted avast!'s recommend (maybe "remove immediately").

Could it be as simple as letting the firewall or firewalls re-allocate permission to Avast as it may see version 5 as a different program to 4.8 and be stopping it.

I deleted all avast!'s entries and try to update, then Comodo said avast.setup and AvastSvc.exe are connecting to the Internet.
I allowed both requests, but I'm afraid it doesn't work, I can't update avast!.

Hi, Alwil Team! I have a request to you. Please check, if Avast! Free 5.0.418 has problems with auto updating, when it's used with formerly obtained registration key from Avast! 4.8 Free, because not only me, but also other people are getting errors, when they try to update virus definitions in Avast! 5.0.418 Free. I'll be grateful for meeting my request.

PS Deleting all rules for previously uninstalled Avast! 4.8 Free in my Ashampoo 1.2 firewall didn't help either.
My laptop is an oldschool HP compaq nc6000. Maybe this Avast! 5.0.418 update issue is due to untypical and obsolete hardware configuration of my laptop or one of its components, e.g. my network adapter card? It has Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet with driver version 6.34.0.0. Could it be the main cause for these issues?

Yes, I uses registration key from v4.8. I'll try to invalidate my account and re-regist Free account from AvastUI.
My network adapter : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

raziel

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »
Hi, NON! There was some misunderstanding. I'm not an Avast! technician or programmer. I just wanted to add a comment to your post, because I have a similar problem with a virus definition auto-update in Avast! 5.0.418. So, we both have to wait for Avast! expert's reply. Raziel aisatsu anata no porando  :)

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »
Hi, NON! There was some misunderstanding. I'm not an Avast! technician or programmer. I just wanted to add a comment to your post, because I have a similar problem with a virus definition auto-update in Avast! 5.0.418. So, we both have to wait for Avast! expert's reply. Raziel aisatsu anata no porando  :)

Don't worry, I know. Just a shot. Eu lhe agradeço, raziel.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
Oh, avast! started updating automatically!! :o

What did I do?
1. Invalidated old registration (v4.8 licence key) and re-register Free account from AvastUI
(I changed PC's date to next year, then avast! claimed that the registration is out of date.)
2. Reboot
3. Change options Settings ->  Update -> "My computer permanently connected to the Internet" enabled

I checked 3. option, then avast! immediately started updating.

I already tried 3. settings before, but it didn't work then. So I unchecked that options.
I don't know why it works now and "No proxy" settings doesn't work even now (I use "Use proxy" setting), but I get a relief for the time being. :)

Thank you all for your assists and replies. However, if you have some ideas about this topic, please post it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:22:54 PM by NON »

raziel

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
Hi, NON! I'd like to ask you something about. Did you use your "old" registration key from Avast! 4.8 after invalidating Avast! 5.0.418 to re-register it again and thus fixing the auto-update problem, or you created free account from a scratch?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:05:13 PM by raziel »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
Hi, NON! I'd like to ask you something about. Did you use your "old" registration key from Avast! 4.8 after invalidating Avast! 5.0.418 to re-register it again and thus fixing the auto-update problem, or you created free acount from a scratch?

From scratch (I didn't insert old key).

I shifted my PC's date to invalidate old registration, then Avast!5 claimed and recommend to register. I clicked "Register Now" button ,then registration window (name,e-mail,etc) opened, so I filled in the blank and register.

I hope this works on your PC.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:21:39 PM by NON »

raziel

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:06:28 AM »
Hi, NON! Sorry, that I hadn't been replying for your post for a while, but I had been waiting for my new registration key from Avast! license-center, because registration via Avast! GUI didn't succeed. Unfortunately your solution for bringing to life auto-updates in my case doesn't work. Enabling option "My computer permanently connected to the Internet, as well as "Use proxy" as you did (I also tried with "No proxy settings" enabled), but it failed too. I'm seriously inclining to use Avast! 4.8 back again, and return to Avast! 5 just when Alwil Team releases a new version of Avast! 5 Free. I hope it will be soon!

PS NON, obrigado por nos ajudar apesar de tudo  :)

bmplev

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:32 AM »
Hello everybody,
I have the same problem with a virus definition auto-update in Avast! 5.0.418, tried everything, but....reinstall system and went back
 to 4.8. This version isn't usable (for me...)

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 07:05:44 AM »
Hi, NON! Sorry, that I hadn't been replying for your post for a while, but I had been waiting for my new registration key from Avast! license-center, because registration via Avast! GUI didn't succeed. Unfortunately your solution for bringing to life auto-updates in my case doesn't work. Enabling option "My computer permanently connected to the Internet, as well as "Use proxy" as you did (I also tried with "No proxy settings" enabled), but it failed too.

That's too bad. I hope Alwil finds the cause of this problem and fixes it.

I noticed that once avast! failed to update (stopped at "Initializing..." or "Downloading servers.def.vpx"), even if we clicked "Cancel" button, process "avast.setup" remains. And this process remained, avast! can't update anymore until this process stopped.
I also want Alwil to fix this issue too. This process is protected by self-defense, so shutting it down is a little troublesome.

Hello everybody,
I have the same problem with a virus definition auto-update in Avast! 5.0.418, tried everything, but....reinstall system and went back
 to 4.8. This version isn't usable (for me...)

* Repair of avast!
* Disable your firewall
* Use "Direct connection (no proxy)" setting instead of "Auto detect"
* "My computer permanently connected to the Internet" option enable (don't enable dial-up option)
* Re-install from a scratch
* Reboot (or shutdown "avast.setup" process before you trying new setting)
* Use v5 registration key (perhaps this works only me? ::))
* Try to update from Control-Panel (thanks to garion1500)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:07:23 AM by NON »

raziel

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
Hi, NON! I discovered the cause of Avast! 5.0.418 Free auto-update issue. In my case, it was Ashampoo FireWall 1.20 Free. I have found out, when I finally decided to uninstall it, to see if it is the root cause. I hit the bull's-eye! After I had uninstalled it, Avast! 5.0.418 Free started to auto-update without any glitch. Exclusive deactivating this firewall, didn't fix the problem. The conclusion is like that Ashampoo FireWall 1.20 Free is causing this issue. So, please check if uninstalling your Comodo firewall will resolve your issue, too. If will, this means you'll have to consider moving to another, conflict-free firewall. It's all I can suggest you to fix this auto-update glitch. Regards.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
raziel, thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that your problem is solved.

I uninstalled Comodo and tested, but unfortunately uninstalling Comodo had no effect to "No proxy" problem.

I think Comodo has nothing to do with this problem, because this problem started BEFORE installing Comodo. I noticed that there are many posts about v5 updating issue, so I decided to install avast!5 first in my re-installed PC to avoid these problem. However, the problem was there.

My PC is retail product, so TrendMicro Security Suite was pre-installed after re-setup. I uninstalled it via both Control-panel and uninstall utility, but there is some possibility that it causes my problem. :-\

Now auto-updating via local proxy works well, so I will stay for some time. :)

Best Regards,
NON
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:50:34 AM by NON »