Author Topic: Avast 5 Pro stops working while performing a full scan  (Read 7467 times)

dalejsanders

Avast 5 Pro stops working while performing a full scan
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:55:14 PM »
This is the 4th time that I have tried to run a complete scan of my system, and each time, the program stops when it hits 25.51GB of tested data.  I am running Vista Ultimate x64.  In each case, the program stops when processing SVC: .NET Data Provider for Oracle.

I do not know if this is a programatic issue or a potential virus that is stopping Avast from working.

Joe S

Re: Avast 5 Pro stops working while performing a full scan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
I've got a similar problem and haven't found a solution. Mine stops about 13 gigs not always the same file. I've installed several times using removal tools in safe mode new downloads but no luck.
Joe

onlyafterdark

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »
Hi.  I was having a similar problem. After I installed today's windows update for Vista 64 (and rebooted) and my scan is going further than it had been going.  This may have fixed my problem. I have a lot of drives and a lot of stuff though so i won't know if this fixed it for a while.

For any having the same problem:

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB979306)

Installation date: ‎2/‎23/‎2010 2:54 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

If you have a tiny drive try it and let me know if i can look forward to this working please lol :P

BigDawg

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:25:14 AM »
I use a boot scan when I scan. No problems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:53:10 AM »
I use a boot scan when I scan. No problems.
No available for x64 systems (yet).
I'm thinking on releasing a scanning at logon time for all users... now only available for Evangelists at the forum.
You can try it http://mysharedfiles.no-ip.org/avastEvangelist/avast_at_logon_by_Tech.exe (it's time limited).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:56:55 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Joe S

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 07:57:39 AM »
The MS updates didn't help mine much. It went from 13 gig to 13.15 gigs then I have to reset the shields.
Joe

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »
What exactly does it mean "stop"?
If you open Task Manager, is the process AvastSvc.exe still running (when it "stops")? Does it use any CPU?

Joe S

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
It stops scanning and there is a red X through Avast icon. You have to restart shields. There is no appreciable CPU usage
Joe

taffy44

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:10:48 AM »
Do any of you with this problem have Spysweeper installed by any chance?

I was having the exact same problem when performing a full system scan (it would get to 12.06 GB and then the red 'X' would appear on the avast icon and I would have to restart the program).

By a process of elimination I found the culprit to be Webroot's Spysweeper. I uninstalled it and the scan worked fine. I reported my findings on here but don't know whether anything was done about it. I have not re-installed Spysweeper because my subscription was due to expire and I already had enough free on-demand spyware programs installed. I have had no problems at all since uninstalling Spysweeper.

In my own case, Spysweeper (for some reason) was stopping Avast from scanning the 'memory' on my computer. If I set a "custom scan" to scan 'memory' only, Avast would instantly crash as soon as I clicked the Start button. So, I take it that it was crashing during a full system scan at the point where the memory was about to be scanned.

Joe S

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »
Taffy
I have been wondered about Spy Sweeper too I do have that installed. My father has been in the hospital so I haven't had a lot of free time and I hate to uninstall and reinstall stuff if I don't need to.  I was going to test on a virtual PC but haven't had time yet. Did you send Webroot information on this LOL? I know their customer service is really lame from past experience.
Joe

taffy44

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »
Did you send Webroot information on this LOL? I know their customer service is really lame from past experience.

Joe..

No, I have not reported it to Webroot.

I would have thought that the problem is not Webroot's because everything worked fine with version 4 of Avast. The problem arose on the installation of version 5.

Seems too much of a coincidence to me that you also have Spysweeper installed on your machine and I would definitely test the theory out if I were you.

P.S. Sorry to here about your father, hope it's nothing too serious.

bobo1

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
Yes Spysweeper is a very intense antispyware program and runs in ram memory on start up all the time checking for ram spyware that loads before windows. Will may cause conflict with avast as this does rootkit scan on start up and may cause your scans to fail!. Stopped using spysweeper as costs too much per year now use the free ones eg Spybot Search and Destroy just as good.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 07:28:24 PM »
The rootkit scan doesn't happen on start-up, but 8 minutes after start.

The major overhead with it scanning on boot is that for files that it opens to scan, avast is likely to be forced to first scan it, duplication scans and extending the boot duration.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Joe S

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 02:17:27 AM »
Taffy
You were right about Spy Sweeper. I just installed in a virtual PC that still had Avast 4.8 on it. Then after that I updated Avast to 5.0.148 and tired a scan and it did crash. I have time left on my subscription so I will send Webroot t a jab since their cucstome service is totally crap.
Joe

dalejsanders

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 05:44:14 PM »
For any having the same problem:

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB979306)

Installation date: ‎2/‎23/‎2010 2:54 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

If you have a tiny drive try it and let me know if i can look forward to this working please lol :P

I just installed this update on my system as well.  I have started a full scan and am now up to 181GB of data scanned.  It appears that this may have fixed the issue... but I have a total of almost 3TB to scan, so I will report back with final results.

Thanks for the tip!

Dale

UPDATE:  Now up to 1.8TB of data scanned and still going strong!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:18:42 PM by dalejsanders »