Author Topic: Avast 5 v.5.0.418  (Read 3739 times)

Repairman77

Avast 5 v.5.0.418
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
Hi, I'm new on here but post on some other techi forums.

Apologies if this has been asked before.  :)

I have been using Avast on my home computer for several years now and find it very good.

I updated to version 5 on 3rd February and all went fine; it uninstalled v.4 OK and installed with no problems.

Over the last 3 days I have noticed that it has not done any auto-updates; working fine before.
I checked manual updates and downloaded the latest which went from 100.222 to 100.222-1.

Is there a problem with the auto-updates; perhaps a server overload due to the new release and it's popularity, or is it a bug?

I had a message from another user that it took several tries and 15 minutes to achieve a manual update as well.

Thanks for any advice which I shall pass on to my fellow forum members.

I have been recommending Avast for some time now as a very effective AV and all who have taken this advice have been pleased with it. Especially the lot faster scan times with v.5.  :)

Mike.

sded

Re: Avast 5 v.5.0.418
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
What OS are you using?  Have you done any other updates in the past few days?  I am still getting automatic updates regularly, usually when I revive my computer early in the morning and then later in the day if there are additional updates.  I currently have 100222-1 also- says it was released at 5:39am and got it via autoupdate.  Could be an issue in how Alwil distributes their server load, since I am in California and also using the Pro version.  But my free version on another computer has also been getting auto-updates; will check it again later this morning.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
Do your settings look like this? (see screenshot below)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Repairman77

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »
What OS are you using?  Have you done any other updates in the past few days?  I am still getting automatic updates regularly, usually when I revive my computer early in the morning and then later in the day if there are additional updates.  I currently have 100222-1 also- says it was released at 5:39am and got it via autoupdate.  Could be an issue in how Alwil distributes their server load, since I am in California and also using the Pro version.  But my free version on another computer has also been getting auto-updates; will check it again later this morning.

Thanks for your reply. I am using Windows XP pro on this machine.
I am beginning to think that this could be a server issue.
Mike.

Repairman77

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 08:15:25 PM »
Do your settings look like this? (see screenshot below)

Hi, My settings are the same except I have Program updates set to inform me, but the Auto updates is selected for definitions.
And I do not have dial-up selected as I am on ADSL.

I must point out that the system has been updating automatically since 3rd February (until 3 days ago) and I have not changed any of the settings.

Mike.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
Okay, we should wait. By the way: I don't have dial-up enabled.
Set it to "always connected" if it is not set so right now.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Repairman77

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:26:07 PM »
Okay, we should wait. By the way: I don't have dial-up enabled.
Set it to "always connected" if it is not set so right now.
I rather think this is a server issue, as mine is set to look every 240 minutes and I assume if it can't connect to a busy server it gives up.

Also I have been told of 'server errors' when some people are updating manually, so this would point to an overloaded server as well.
We'll see what happens over the next few days.

I see that the 'paid for' version advertises faster updates so perhaps the manufacturers are putting more server capacity on that 'paid for' version than the free one.

Mike.

Repairman77

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
Update...

Problem appears to have corrected itself as I received 100223-1 automatic update today.

Mike.