Author Topic: 2 Problems: Context and Memory [Solved]  (Read 6126 times)

astroasis

2 Problems: Context and Memory [Solved]
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
Hi all. I'm a long-time user of Avast, but new to the forums.

I'm running Avast 5.0.418 on Windows XP SP3. I did the full uninstall/cleaning of 4.8 before installing 5. I've been using 5 since it was released and I've got 2 kinda big problems with it.

1) Context scanning no longer works for me. I'm not sure why. The settings all seem to be as they should be. The icon/entry is in my context menu when I right click on a file. I can select the option and the scanning pop-up comes up (I set it to do so - I like to have visual confirmation that it's scanning something). However, it doesn't actually DO anything. It always says the same thing: Files Scanned: 0. No threat found. (Well, of course it's not finding a threat... It's scanning 0 files! :P) I've been using Malware Bytes' on-demand scanner instead, but this is still annoying that it's happening. If I can't trust Avast to scan a file when I'm outright telling it to, then how can I trust it to be scanning things on its own?

2) Memory Usage. The memory usage on this program starts out at a nice level... but slowly grows to ridiculous levels. I can't find any way to restart the program to clear out the memory overload and start it fresh - so I end up having to restart my computer just to get some of my memory back from Avast. Now, the context failure is something I can live with... but if this memory hogging continues, I'm going to have to find a new antivirus program. Is there any way to keep Avast from sucking up my memory? Or at least a way to manually reboot the program so I can get the memory BACK from it?

Any help would be appreciated. Finding a new trustworthy AV is a big pain in the butt. I'd like to just stick with Avast, but Avast 5 is trying my patience! :(

(And I know I could go back to Avast 4.8, but other than these problems, I actually do like 5 better... not to mention that upgrading to 5 from 4.8 was such a nightmare, I don't really want to have to do whatever-it-would-take to downgrade back now... :P)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:31:30 AM by astroasis »

sss

Re: 2 Problems: Context and Memory
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:54:51 PM »
Did U just install. If yes, then reboot it should solve context menu scanning prob.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
1. What exactly are you scanning? (I mean, are you scanning files on your desktop, for example... or general files on your disk?)
2. How do you measure the memory usage, what process are you referring to?

astroasis

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
sss: It's not a new install. I've been using Avast 5 since its release and have updated it with each update.

igor:
1. Mostly downloaded files on the desktop. The context scan worked fine at first, but then just stopped working. It might be a setting that's off somewhere or something... but I can't for the life of me find it.
2. TaskManager and similar programs. Whenever the PC slows down, I have a habit of checking to make sure there's nothing undesirable in there. Lately, there's been a LOT of slowing down... and a LOT of seeing Avast using 100+ mb of memory. Curious about this, I decided to keep an eye on it with periodic checks in TaskManager, and sure enough, AvastSvc.exe is using more memory every time I look until the PC eventually slows down to a crawl and I have to reboot.

Here are the settings for the context scan. Maybe somebody can see where I've got something set wrong...?

Scan Mode: Thorough
Scan Area: Interactive selection in Windows Explorer
Schedule: No
Scan PUP: On

SCAN:
  All greyed out, except for "Scan all files" - which is checked.

SENSITIVITY:
  Heuristics Sensitivity: Normal
  "Use code emulation" is checked.
  "Test whole files" is checked.
  "Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)" is checked.

PACKERS:
  "All packers" is checked.

ACTIONS:
  Nothing is checked here.

PERFORMANCE:
  Priority: High
  "Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache" is checked.

REPORT FILE:
  Nothing is checked here.

EXCLUSIONS:
  None are listed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:32:26 PM by astroasis »

astroasis

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 04:13:58 AM »
I'm bumping my post, because it's been days and I've received no help. Not sure if this is against forum rules, but I don't feel like making a new post to ask the exact same questions.

Can someone on this forum please help me out here?

I am sick of having to restart my entire computer whenever Avast starts hogging memory. I can't figure out how to restart Avast itself to "clear" its memory usage. I understand it's safer for novice users to be unable to turn off the program easily, but there should be SOME way for advanced users to do so.

I also still can't use the right click scan in Avast and have to use another program for this.

Seriously thinking of switching AV programs if I can't get these problems fixed.

olddog

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:00:57 AM »
Have you tried the new pre-release version 5.0.454 ?

Mikos

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm bumping my post, because it's been days and I've received no help. Not sure if this is against forum rules, but I don't feel like making a new post to ask the exact same questions.

Can someone on this forum please help me out here?

I am sick of having to restart my entire computer whenever Avast starts hogging memory. I can't figure out how to restart Avast itself to "clear" its memory usage. I understand it's safer for novice users to be unable to turn off the program easily, but there should be SOME way for advanced users to do so.

I also still can't use the right click scan in Avast and have to use another program for this.

Seriously thinking of switching AV programs if I can't get these problems fixed.

I also have Avast 5.0.418 in an XP SP3 machine (P4 1.8Ghz), with only 1Gb of memory. It does not eat up memory. We almost have the same settings for Avast, EXCEPT:

"Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache" is UNCHECKED

I hope it helps.

sss

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
Hi Mikos, please be more specific. How does unchecking that helps.

astroasis

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:31:06 AM »

I also have Avast 5.0.418 in an XP SP3 machine (P4 1.8Ghz), with only 1Gb of memory. It does not eat up memory. We almost have the same settings for Avast, EXCEPT:

"Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache" is UNCHECKED

I hope it helps.

THANK YOU!!!! I would have never expected that setting to be the problem, but apparently it was!

I unchecked it and now my right click scanning is working again!!! You are a life-saver. Thank you so much for reading my post and helping me out :)

I've also done some investigating on my own and found the setting in Troubleshooting that turns off the self-defense module. Now I can shut down Avast from my Task Manager, then reboot it from the tray icon. This frees up the excess memory when it starts using it up.

So I think my problems are all solved now! Yay :) Thank you again, Mikos. You're a lifesaver! And thanks to everyone else who tried to help me out.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 2 Problems: Context and Memory [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
Now I can shut down Avast from my Task Manager, then reboot it from the tray icon.
Hmmm... it's not save to keep this way... malware will be able to disable avast also.
Why do you need to do so (I mean, restart avast)?
The best things in life are free.

astroasis

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »
Now I can shut down Avast from my Task Manager, then reboot it from the tray icon.
Hmmm... it's not save to keep this way... malware will be able to disable avast also.
Why do you need to do so (I mean, restart avast)?

Avast at times starts using a LOT of memory... and slowing my entire system down as a result. Restarting it frees up the excess memory it was using and restores my system's usability. Before finding this solution, I was forced to restart my entire computer every time Avast started making things sluggish. Now I can simply restart Avast and have the same effect.

Also, the self-defense module only needs to be shut off for a moment to restart the program, which isn't going to put my system at risk.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
You're using a dangerous workaround, not a solution.
I'll try the latest 5.0.454 version to check if the problem is solved. Avast shouldn't use that much resources. Something is wrong.
The best things in life are free.