Author Topic: Can not uninstall Avast Free Antivirus 5.  (Read 20079 times)

NumNutt

Can not uninstall Avast Free Antivirus 5.
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
I have tried going to control panel and add/remove programs and picked avast and as soon as I pick remove it tells me that It has failed with in less than a second. Then I go to view log and it tells me I canceled it. I did no such thing but keeps telling me that. I wanted to update to pro and have everything already but won't let me install it. Tells me I have to uninstall the version I'm using now. I'm running Windows XP SP3 and I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can not uninstall Avast Free Antivirus 5.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
I am not sure you have to uninstall avast 5 free to get avast 5 pro
Have you tried to insert the license key in avast free to see if the program transform to pro?

if not
Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

NumNutt

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »
I have tried to but wouldn't let me just update it. And just tried the uninstall utility and gives me the message "The Avast! Protection module is enabled. And for this reason cannot be completed. To complete this operation, either run in safe mode, or disable the avast!" Any ideas? thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
Disable the avast self defense module on the Troubleshooting tab of settings.
If you can't open avast, download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and run it. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
the uninstaller/modifier/updater has issues at least with AIS: if you wait a few seconds before confirming the changes the dialog window just disappears, or it doesn't, seems to do what you want, and in the end nothing was done. I've seen that a few times. Uninstalling completely is never an issue, it's when you want to add/remove components that problems come. Anyway everything works as expected after two or three tries.

Mannix99

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »
the uninstaller/modifier/updater has issues at least with AIS: if you wait a few seconds before confirming the changes the dialog window just disappears, or it doesn't, seems to do what you want, and in the end nothing was done. I've seen that a few times. Uninstalling completely is never an issue, it's when you want to add/remove components that problems come. Anyway everything works as expected after two or three tries.

Yes, it´s pretty much like your problem...

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »

Yes, it´s pretty much like your problem...

oh yeah  ???