Author Topic: Gmanbo fix  (Read 27922 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Gmanbo fix
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 11:46:38 PM »
No not a clean installation - it will replace and repair all files that are broken - all your data will remain untouched - any XP disc will do the higher the service pack the better as you will need to re-install all updates

Gmanbo

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 04:02:47 AM »
Ok, I will get an xp disk as soon as possible, but while I'm waiting, I might as well ask so I'm not left with a vulnerable computer while I wait for a response, how will I update it when the time comes?

Also, I'm really wondering, is spybot-search and destroy any good, or should I completely remove it and get something else? I've been hearing a lot of mixed opinions about it and Superantispyware.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »
For me I would go for MBAM and use that

When you get the disc run sfc /scannow and use that disc if prompted - that would be a quicker solution

Gmanbo

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 07:13:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I got a disk today, but unfortunately it was Windows xp professional service pack 2, and the scannow said it was the wrong disk. It is specifically asking for 2 different disks, which I will attempt to get one way or another (Not stealing of course). In case you were wondering since it might help for whatever reason, the disks it requested were:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD (doh, so close ::))
Windows XP Professional CD 2

Do you think it's still possible to find these in stores if necessary?

galooma

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
you can order replacement discs

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246

I considered this around a year ago and it was around $40 aust for a new XP- SP3 disk . You needed a valid key to order one though

good luck

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I would follow Cloussau's advice first and see what that reveals.   But you must bear in mind that in all versions of windows (except 7 european) IE is tightly integrated with the system, so trying to remove it can and most probably will damage the system files to some degree 

Gmanbo

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 06:51:34 PM »
All I can find that way is service pack 3 CD on the site. Do you recommend just installing windows 7 or something? I'm clueless as to what to do now because I DID remove IE before I knew it was a mistake...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
Before you think about 7 you will need to see if your system is suitable - There is an advisor here from MS which will let you know that http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

If you decide to go for 7 and your system supports it I would use the 64 bit version as that is less susceptible to malware at the moment

Gmanbo

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 07:28:17 PM »
Well, for the most part it supports it, but it says that one driver called "Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology Drivers" may have compatibility issues, so I guess I'm probably out of luck on that. I'm so sick of trying to fix this computer, and I have no idea what to do, since I doubt stores sell the original XP professional CD 2 the system wants. Why did I have to remove IE...  :'(

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I have seen some XP discs for sale - but they are more expensive than windows 7 and Vista  ???

"Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology Drivers are not required in 7 or Vista as windows takes over that task

You could do a repair install from the CD you have, that might work and the SP status will not matter
Instructions here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DHLUWK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1267296276&sr=1-1&condition=used

Gmanbo

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »
Seems a bit risky, as this computer uses media center edition, and the disk is xp professional. Do you think it will still work alright?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:22 PM »
For the main files there is no difference at all - so all things being equal it will work

Gmanbo

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
Well, wish me luck, I hope this works out!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »
First have you got your windows key handy as it may ask for it.  If not use this programme to get it http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Gmanbo

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »
I made sure to read the guide, and got those, it gave me two different ones, Microsoft xp, and office xp pro, I wrote them both down in a safe place not on the computer to have them available. Any further advice before doing it?

Also, the guide seems a bit outdated, it seems it hasn't been updated in over 2 years. You sure it's still ok?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:10:10 PM by Gmanbo »