Author Topic: Exclusion List.  (Read 3385 times)

BobRoss

Exclusion List.
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:25:19 AM »
Hi,

Anyone know of a good list of exclusions for lets say Windows Vista x64..  ( granted the windows flavor might not matter much )..

What im looking for is perhaps a "standard" for file types and directories that most people exclude from scanning..etc... I;m trying to slim down Avast to just what i need... Im disabled P2p and Im shield.. as i dont use those apps.. just looking to 'optimize' some the scanning that avast does..

Are a lot of people turning off the Behavior Shield ( sound like something for 14yr olds :).. ?.. Ive heard it has issues w/ World of Warcraft..etc..

Thanks much.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:29:48 AM by BobRoss »

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: Exclusion List.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:34:01 AM »
Hi BobRoss

No need to exclude any path or file, all the needed changes are internally applied and optimized.

sometimes I only add second scanners paths to the Exclusion (e.g. malwarebytes directories or superantispyware) and yet it's not needed too.

PS: I like Bob Ross Paintings ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:37:02 AM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

BobRoss

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:46:21 AM »
Thanks Omid.

Yep..was just curious if people generally alter the standard exclusion list..etc.. and what they add..

and Yep.. in the immortal words of Bob Ross - "We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents." hehe

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:57 AM »
Thanks Omid.

Yep..was just curious if people generally alter the standard exclusion list..etc.. and what they add..

and Yep.. in the immortal words of Bob Ross - "We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents." hehe

You are welcome! ;)
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

dfalkenberg

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »
I also have had a problem with exclusions.

I placed an exclusion for a directory containing 'Malware' in the [Settings] Master Exclusion List (per documentation). Avast 5.0.418 was very efficient at moving it to the Chest over every time I dropped the 'Malware' in the directory over a period of a half hour (keep trying in case there was 'lag' in the exclusions list updating). Only by placing an entry for the directory in the [File System Shield] Exclusions was I able to get Avast to exclude the file.

I hope this bug is addressed so the [Settings] Master Exclusions work again. I also recommend some simple method of placing a file or class into the exclusion list. One place would be to add on option to exclude the file when restoring it from the Virus Chest. The option could be to exclude just the file or the class (i.e., Malware:Gen Type a3). I've changed the [Action] to 'ask' and see what happens.

I know this isn't a thread for 'features', but it would be nice to have all the events (Virus or trojan found, moved to chest, updated defs, etc.) available in the system event log.

I like Avast and V5 shows a nice improvements throughout.