Author Topic: High CPU usage in Internet Explorer with Avast 5.0.418  (Read 8448 times)

Jeff-K

High CPU usage in Internet Explorer with Avast 5.0.418
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:26 AM »
Hi!

I'm using Avast 5.0 on my computer (Vista SP2 x86, 3 gigs of RAM, ASUS P5Q, Q6600). My problem occurs when I open a new tab (showing the default blank page) in Internet Explorer 8: it takes a long time to open. The problem is worse when I have a few tabs in IE. If I deactivate the shields, the tab opens instantly.

With all the shields activated, I looked in Windows Task Manager and I noticed that the problem was the iexplorer.exe process taking a lot of CPU (iexplorer.exe works fine when shields are deactivated). Then, I activated the "Show Kernel Times" and noticed that all the CPU was used by the kernel... 

I'm using a fresh and clean installation of Windows Vista (less than 1 week old)!  I do not use any other antivirus/antispyware software.
Any idea?

Thanx.
Jeff-K

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: High CPU usage in Internet Explorer with Avast 5.0.418
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:40:31 AM »
avast can't impact the CPU use of another program.

I don't know if you are aware that for each new tab that you open there is another occurrence of iExplore.exe running so that collectively could account for increases CPU and RAM, but the CPU should reduce as the activity on the browser reduces.

See image, IE8 with 4 tabs open and once loaded no CPU activity, but RAM use is still greatly increased.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jeff-K

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:28:23 AM »
I understand but everything seems to indicate that avast is the source of the problem, as soon as I stop Avast, everything returns to normal.  I'm just trying to find what happens.  Why is the kernel time increases as soon as Avast is running?  To show you what I am talking about, I opened 3 tabs in IE and then took a screenshot (see attachment).

I also noted that the performance degrades over time, a restart of Windows temporary fixes the problem but after about an hour, the problem gradually starts again.

Thank you for your help (and sorry if my explanations are not clear)

Jeff-K

pinnacle

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:56:39 AM »
I'm running Avast Internet Security I tried to replicate what you stated is happening to no avail. I opened 21 tabs of IE 8 with them all opening pretty quickly by IE 8 standards. I found no excessive spikes in any of the avast exes. and normal increases of ram usage by IE 8 when checking Them in task manager after opening each tab.  I second DavidR avast can't impact the CPU use of another program.

alphaomegaacct

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:16 AM »
Jeff you are not alone! Vista Ultimate 32bit machine P4D 3.6Ghz 4GB ram. Painfully slow - until I disable Free Avast 5.0418 definition version 100224-1. Not just Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer (especially accessing network shares from my Windows Home Server) and most applications including solitare! Turn off Avast 5 and things go back to normal.

On another topic, why no more family pack and WHS version of avast? This combined with the above problem may prompt me to shop elsewhere!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:09:37 AM »
If by stopping avast, the cpu returns to normal then surely the CPU would be logged against the avastSvc.exe process. To me that image doesn't make it clear as it doesn't attribute the CPU to a specific process, that is why I showed the Process view of task manager.

If what you say is correct across the board then I too should experience the same thing and I'm not, so there is more to this than meets the eye. If there is a conflict then the removal of one element of the conflict then no conflict. Unfortunately that doesn't identify the true cause.

Do you experience the same problems if using a different browser, firefox, opera or chrome, etc. ?

I'm using XP Pro SP3 so I'm unable to check this out as I don't have a Vista system, so I don't really know what else to suggest.

I don't know if you use a proxy to connect, but it might be worth trying this to set your browser to use the web shield proxy. This is for an older version of IE so you would have to find the corresponding settings in IE8 - For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jeff-K

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:16:19 AM »
Hi.
I don't use a proxy but I will try the web shield proxy thing.  I will also try a different browser as soon as possible... I'll keep you informed.

Thanx again.
Jeff-K

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 05:32:00 AM »
Hi Jeff-K

You could provide a HiJackThis analysis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php

Post log here To give forum members general idea of your system environment when using IE.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Jeff-K

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
Hi, sorry for the delay...

Here is my hijackthis log, tell me if this is not what you need.

By the way, I'm now using Avast version 5.0.462.

Thank you for your help.
Jeff-K
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:30:18 PM by Jeff-K »

Jeff-K

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:09:56 AM »
... I forgot to mention that the cause appears to be the behaviour shield since as soon as I stop it, everything works perfectly.

Jeff-K

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:15:51 AM »
Update avast! to V5.0.462 as that is the latest version available.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 04:41:06 AM »
Your hijackThis log

Check the box beside name and then fix these two lines using utility in lower left corner

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

O13 - Gopher Prefix:
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.