Author Topic: Win7 crash during overnight wake from sleep mode  (Read 4113 times)

baccusboy

Win7 crash during overnight wake from sleep mode
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »
My specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
Asrock P55m mainboard
4gig Ram

After installing Avast 5 Free Home version, I am having a strange issue.  When I put the computer into "sleep" mode before going to bed, when I wake up in the morning, the computer is on.  It leaves me a message stating that the computer has recovered from an unexpected error, asking me if I'd like to send the information to Microsoft.

Is there some kind of updating that Avast is trying to do while in sleep mode that could be causing this?  If so, how can I turn that off without turning off auto-updates entirely?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win7 crash during overnight wake from sleep mode
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »
We need more info to guess...
Maybe the unp????????.tmp files of the avast, or info about the crash (collected by Windows), other security programs installed.
Which was your old antivirus?
The best things in life are free.

baccusboy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:49 AM »
I've been testing some different ones.  Was using Microsoft Security Essentials.  That was doing just fine, but wanted to try some others with more features out.  Then went to GDATA on a demo.  Dumped that in two days because it slowed my browsing experience.  Both have been thoroughly removed.

I was running Zone Alarm in the past few days, but have now uninstalled that.  The crashes (bluescreens) were happening before that, anyway.

I've been looking at logs of Avast and Zonealarm, and the problem seems to be happening during my daily full scan.  Not sure if it runs into some kind of conflict during a scan, or what.  I'm going to run a day or two after uninstalling ZA and see what happens.  I've also disabled all automatic scans in Avast.

The Windows 7 information hasn't given me much to go on.  It asked me to update Firefox, which I did.  It said a new IE8 update would be coming down the pipe soon, but I almost never use that.  I've submitted my problems to Windows 7 twice.

Where are these avast .tmp files?  I don't understand the name of them, because the characters you posted came out as a bunch of face icons.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:59:18 AM by baccusboy »

baccusboy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:18:28 AM »
I ran a whocrashed on my minidump file:

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 2/27/2010 2:09:31 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8005F87060, 0xFFFFF80000B9C518, 0xFFFFFA800A108C10)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022710-21421-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft� Windows� Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2/26/2010 3:38:40 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFA80249AF1A8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002F4AA57)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022710-20234-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft� Windows� Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

baccusboy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
I have discovered that the conflict is with Utorrent.  It appears that Avast could crash during a full scan when performing a scheduled system scan. Not 100% sure it's avast's fault, but likely has a conflict.