Author Topic: Can I download the latest VPS using a CRON job?  (Read 10780 times)

jpwyatt

Can I download the latest VPS using a CRON job?
« on: February 25, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »
I would like to be able to let my team get the latest VPS file so they can run BART without constantly burning CDs.  BART allows you to point to a newer VPS file so I just need to download the signature and place it somewhere convenient where they can copy it to a USB key.

Anticipating an obvious question, not all my team use Windows based PCs so they can't just copy it from their systems.  I would prefer to cron a wget job to retrieve the .vpu and any other files that are required.

Thanks!

wpn

Re: Can I download the latest VPS using a CRON job?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:40:55 AM »
well there are executables that you can download for updates

http://www.avast.com/download-update

jpwyatt

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »
Thank you.  Yes I found those but that is not quite what I need.  The stand alone executables are fine for updating a client that can't update normally or that you want to update before putting on-line.  In my case, I need the actually signature files because that it what BART is looking for.  The systems we scan may not have Avast! on them as we need to certify computers bought by visitors before they connect to our network.

wpn

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
i was hoping you didnt notice ;)

i have been trying to extract the signature files before, but without results unfortuanately

i did a search on the avast directory and found several VPU files in the setup directory, one of those is about 34MB (at this moment) which is the same as the executable size....

you could do it the hard way and have a tool monitor the files that are in the avast directory then show the files that changed after you do an update (from which you know for certain that its the definitions update).....
then you can copy those files to the share for the bart cd users

i check the vpu file and the header starts with   ASWsetupFPkgFile    (just for extra info)