Author Topic: Used disk space decreased?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Used disk space decreased?
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »
Hi there,

1. I am performing a fresh install of XP Pro on one my machines.

2. Creating full back image at each various steps.

3. At one particular stage wanted to revert & reinstall those soft wares so preformed an Image restore.

4. The size on disk was 11.5 GB & that of the Image restored is 6.40 GB.

5. Before the image restoration & going back was evaluating Revo uninstaller on that machine & performed Evidence eraser on all drives/partitions……..experimenting the software.

6. Image was restored & the size was exactly 11.5 GB……..than I installed Avast AV 5……..size increased to 12.1 GB…….on reboot the size went down to 10.9 GB……..why this decrease…….Due to Revo ……….System Volume size changed?

7. Page file is unchanged the default  2046- 4092 MB………Commit charge unchanged…. only thing that has is the size on disk……..previously from 11.8 increased to 12.1 after Avast install & than a drop to 10.9 GB.

8. Using ATI 2009 to create/restore images.

9. The only new thing that comes to my mind is using Revo Evidence eraser before a restore………& that altering System Volume…..the machine hasn’t been used at the moment performing a complete install.

The machine is functioning fine & no evidence of anti malwares etc…..just the decrease in size of the Image restored on the hard disk.

Is Revo the culprit…..How to fix this??

Any clues, suggestions, gut feeling would be appreciated.

Thanks

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Used disk space decreased?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »
Revo was the issue......its Evidence Remover totally wiped off the deleted files, Images etc......which were deleted but were still residing & occuping the disk space.........so after I ran it.....the occupied disk space decreased.

Woh impressive.......like a zero fill real time format......not affecting the OS in any way.

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.