Author Topic: Norton Security Suite and Avst  (Read 3448 times)

Oldschool777

Norton Security Suite and Avst
« on: February 27, 2010, 01:20:49 AM »
Hello to all,

I'm a computer "NOT" What means I haveNOT anycomputer skills to speak about. I have just gotten Norton Security Suites free from Comcast, but a friend said I should run Avast to keep things fresh and some other program I can't remember to well, but I believe it is Ad ware. I hear that Norton has been some real problems in the past for many, but this 2010 model is supposed to be pretty descent. Can anyonegive me any good idea's on how to speed up my computer, what program can I remove without effecting the way my PC runs, and keeping me up to snuff on viruses.
     I had a friend on Facebook, which he ask that everyone be aware of. He stated that "He had requested that he wanted to be added as a friend on the site, it was like an invite from Youtube. Instead you down load a virus that screws your computer up bad! Peace to all

Oldschool777 8)

tbint

Re: Norton Security Suite and Avst
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:32:30 AM »
first hello and welcome to Avast! Forum.

I think on the norton or avast thing, it would be a personal choice. Then again Avast does not seem to suck up resources as much as norton. thats my opinion. pc speed first starts with resorces, CPU speed, RAM speed, amount of ram, BUS speed, etc. With software like OS 98,xp,vista,7. Then programs. The more resouces you have the more you can run. So if you don't have much resource, and squezzing more out by removing programs, go to control panel> add remove programs. A list of installed programs will be shown. Choose the ones you can do without, and uninstall them.

But I would upgrade the hardware before losing programs. mouse on the taskbar (at the bottom of screen) right click, then taskmanger, then preformance tab.

There is a quit a few way to get infected, Running a PC you will get infected sooner or latter. Chose a virus protection, and learn how to use it, same for (adware, malware, spyware. They are pretty much the same catagory)

Avast has a very good detection engine, with many features. But you will have to learn as you go.

I use and like avast. Being this is Avast! forum ,I would say Most would say avast.

Hope this helps
cheers
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:37:08 AM by tbint »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Norton Security Suite and Avst
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »
Hi Oldschool777, welcome to the forum.

Rule number 1, is that you can not have more than one antivirus installed, even if one of them is disabled. (Same rule is generally applicable for firewalls, and antispyware.)
They will conflict, fight for resources, everything will be double-scanned, and at the best you'll get a big slowdown, at the worst system freezes, and if really unlucky, a freeze when malware is actually detected, which could, ironically leave you less protected.

My preference is to use Avast (of course) but I have read some good reports about the general performance and behaviour of the 2010 versions of Norton.

If you want to find out for yourself, a fairly good strategy (if you can be bothered - it's a bit of messing around) is to try using your computer for a week or two with one, then uninstall that one, use the appropriate removal tool (thanks to fredvries for that resource) to complete the removal, and install the next one you want to try. Spend enough time so that you can get used to the settings for each of them, and get a measure of how the computer is performing. If you've already paid for one, and it's not a total POS, that might be an influence on your decision.

When removing  and installing security software, it's a good idea to get all the files you need in advance, because it's best to go offline for the actual antivirus removal, so as not to be exposed to web threats while the computer is unprotected.

There can be as much or as little learning about what constitutes internet security as a user feels inclined to get into. Such subjects as immunizing, behaviour blocking, imaging, sandboxing/VM, and hardening can all form part of a layered security strategy. The strategy components I use include elements of most of the above, are in my signature, and have not let me down.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:40:29 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.