Author Topic: Avast Forum Spam  (Read 13837 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast Forum Spam
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
just as an example, XtremeSystems forums (more registered members - not much more - than Avast but much more traffic/posting ) use this method of 2/3 days account validation, and one week red only >>> end result, these forums get spammed once or twice a month, while Avast forums get spammed several times a day sometimes  ::) One should also take into account that spammers probably like to challenge security software related forums.
Logos, we are not questioning the effectiveness in preventing spams here.  However, considering the nature of the support forum,personally, I don't think it is a reasonable solution.   :'(

so there's nothing to do  ??? but keep reporting as we do and expect that an admin will be there at the same time, which very often isn't the case and allows a same spammer to keep posting in every possible section here, sometimes during hours  ::)

edit: I think this thread should be moved to the Evangelist corner  ;) ...but that's not even possible, as the OP isn't an "evangelist" yet and couldn't post anymore in the thread he started  :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:48:50 PM by Logos »

hpguru

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »
Why report? If there is for example 40 spam in hour, should we report all them?  ???

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
Why report? If there is for example 40 spam in hour, should we report all them?  ???

no of course not, if it's from the same registered "user", no need to report more than once.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »
I often report multiple spam posts with wording, like this, Drive by spammer account 6+ spam posts, please delete posts and account, etc. That way you don't have to report each and every one, on occasion I may report more than one of the posts to get the point across, but not all of them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
Unfortunatly there are creatures that inhabit this planet that deserve an occasional mention and suitable rapport is needed to explain how to deal with them.

hpguru

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »
 ;D Nice... :D

sded

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:16 PM »
I appreciate Alwil's problem.  With a product support forum, you really can't make rules that inhibit your users from getting support.  For a social networking forum or general information forum, sure.  Solution for most forums is appointing a few volunteer moderators (non employees) in each time zone with the power to move, delete, etc. postings.  Not just for spam, but for raving, cursing, libel, posting copyrighted material, ...  The Alwil employees have more useful things to do.  And I know this board supports these features, because I have used it as a moderator before.  Do not suffer fools gladly.  ;)
BTW, banning is nice too, by IP as well as ID, but needs to be used carefully because of shared resources.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:55:45 PM by sded »

hpguru

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Nice. Spammer is here again...

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »
And now he has gone - reported just one minute ago - speedy  ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »
Nice. Spammer is here again...

Should be, nice 'another' spammer is here again, as you have no way to identify if it is the same spammer.

Even if it is the same spammer account name - The answer is still the same, so what it is a fact of life, just use the report to moderator link. There really is little point in getting upset about it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sded

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »
An SMF board is able to identify the IP address of every user and keep a historical record of it for each login.  Not perfect, but pretty good aid to recognize multiple identities and such.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
Yes it is able to do so, but a forum member isn't able to view that and make any assumption that it is the same spammer or not, that is the point I'm making.

Unless the Moderators, who delete the spammer accounts record that IP and add it to some form of blacklisting for the Domain/ISP, etc. Unless there is some form of IP Black list checking in SMF forum registrations then it is much ado about nothing. Not to mention blocking a domain/ISP is also likely to hit the innocent, not what we want to do in a support forum.

sded

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 11:31:57 PM »
I don't know that it is important for the forum members to know whether it is the same spammer if the mods can tell.  SMF boards support these functions.  Problem is finding some with temperament, time and inclination to use it.  And the Alwil employees can still find better ways to use their time.  ;)  Moderators shouldn't just be deleting accounts, there is a capability to actually ban by individual IP and to provide lesser punishment like "read only" or "suspension for a week".  And registrations are checked against banned users (or can be) although logging in with a new ID from a new IP is obviously harder to catch until another violation occurs.  You do get reports of ID vs IP and IP vs ID, though.  Comodo uses the same board as Avast!, has lots of mods, and uses more of the SMF features, but tends to handle things by committee.  OA and Wilders use vBulletin and take more of an "off with their heads" approach to violations.  These are not major items in any case-SMF is free, vBulletin is ~$200.  And of course everyone still gets some spam.  ;)  BTW, I notice that the moderator list for most of the Avast! forums seems to have vanished, but didn't they previously list Vlk and Igor?  Really?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:31:45 AM by sded »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »
Spammer are really having great Financial problems after the recent economic meltdown so they are spreading spam as much as they can everywhere :)