Author Topic: Greetings fellow Avast-ians! Shields are down... and they wont come up!  (Read 13473 times)

darkknight9

Re: Greetings fellow Avast-ians! Shields are down... and they wont come up!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 12:52:09 AM »
It was quick!

I have posted the log below... The only problem I seem to be encountering now is that the avast system does not fully initilize. It will now appear in the system tray, with a warning that the pc is not protected. When I attempt to enable all shields... nothing. When I opne the user interface, and I attempt to "fix now" a prompt comes up asking me if I want to do this... yes... then nothing. And if I attempt to scan the computer I get the endpoint mapper error. I have tried making sure that the exe in the avast folder is set to "run as administrator" but It still does not seem to want to initilize.

Also, something very curious... when I reight clicked just now on VisthAux.exe to double check that I had remembered to select "Run as Administrator" It said preparing to install Symantec!!!

Its almost more persistent than speed cameras. :D

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
What I would recommend now for Avast is a full uninstall and then re-install

The log shows that all the Norton services are now dead

Re-run the Norton uninstall tool again - running as administrator, if it fails again try it from safe mode

darkknight9

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 02:12:27 AM »
I wasn't quite sure if I'd be able to get used to the fairer voice of a gal instead of the stern one it used to have but "virus database has been updated" is honestly one of the most wonderful things I've heard since "I want a divorce". :)

The Symantec would not allow itself to be dislodged even in safe mode, claiming I did not have a proper device or add on. I'm not sure what thats about and other than the occasional "Symantec Antivirus beginning install" That I have to shut down when I open the mailreader, a browser or right click on some programs it seems to be gone.

I'm running a full system scan right now, and I have to admit... I'm afraid of truning it off lest it want me to restart from a "previous known good" configuration where I loose Avast again. Only six more months till a new laptop! :)

Thank you very much for your help essex!

What I would recommend now for Avast is a full uninstall and then re-install

The log shows that all the Norton services are now dead

Re-run the Norton uninstall tool again - running as administrator, if it fails again try it from safe mode

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »
My pleasure

persaunna

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 07:11:20 AM »
When I opened the Add/Remove and clicked on Avast, I noticed that besides the Uninstall choice, that it also gave the options of "Repair" and "Update Components".  I clicked the Update and Repair buttons, and after a moment of updating, all my red letters turned green (YAY) and Avast says my system is now secured.  I havent actually turned off the computer yet (kind of afraid to), but when I do restart, if this problem returns, is using the Add/Remove Programs the best way to uninstall Avast?