Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 10020 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Help Needed
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 03:43:24 PM »
I have been complaining about this feature all day. it's driving me buggy. I've tried to find these settings that everyone posts and the way this 747 cockpit is layed out I can't find anything. I'm sure that maybe hundreds of people like myself have become so dicouraged with this, that they have as I am contemplating, uninstalled Avast!

Sorry fhurst, if you wait a little you will see that another user, Le Doc, is preparing a graphical interface for this settings  :-\

People like me need a choice and right click context menus are the perfect place to list all the controls of the entire application, at least until we learn the terminology, which is different with every program, and then we can display the application and its skins to enjoy.
What really bothers me is, until I learn this cockpit, I may be compromising my systems security, not having this checked and not having that unchecked.
If all this isn't true then you would not constantly be answering questions like mine. Where in the world is it, please?

I understand your needs... but, don't you agree with Bob?

Most people don't need to make any settings adjustments.
Enjoy! :)
The best things in life are free.

fhurst

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004, 08:43:30 PM »
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not angry, nor am I ungrateful, I'm paranoid and frustrated.

For the past year I've had to learn from forums and emails how to repair my puter.

You see, when I first bought my puter, Gateway helped me every time I called, even though half the time they had no resolution for my problems, except to reformat and reinstall XP.

After about 50 or 60 calls and 8 or 9 formats, in less than a year, they replaced my hard drive thinking that was my problem and when that didn't help they told me it was Windows ME and a lack of sufficient memory that was my real problem, and they were right about that.

So, they pressured me into purchasing XP Home and two 512 memory chips from their sales dept with the promise that if I bouht it from them they would back it up as they have in the past.

I found later that I had gone in debt with them for three times what I should have paid, and although, I now had a predominantly stable system, as it quit hanging and blue screening all the time, they would no longer offer me help because I now have an operating system that did not come with my puter. They told me their rules and contract did not support an operating system upgrade.

They dropped me like a steaming turd and left me on my own and now my problems have shifted from OS problems to security problems, as in the past four months I have had to reformat and reinstall XP about 6 times, two of which were done in less than a week of each other, because I knew no other way to repair XP after a virus had screwed everything up.

I discovered these forums and have been learning and using alternatives which make reformatting a last ditch effort.

I thank all of you for your encouragement and suggestions. Gateway did me a favor, kicking me out of the nest, so to speak, and even though I feel they ripped me off big time, I believe I've benefited from my independence.

There should to be laws against what they did to me, but in retrospect they never really helped me as much as people like you have, especially after they started using foreign technicians. Some of them were pretty sharp, but I have a sneaky suspicion that most of them knew less than I do.

Thanks again, and by the way I right clicked on every single control on the program and every single item on all the context menus I could find and finally found the controls you all were talking about. I recognised them after I found them and must have happened on them when I first installed the program and just could not remember how to navigate to them. What I need is a map.

Have a Goodun,
fhurst

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 11:35:09 PM »
OK, now you're talking... no need to worry. Everything will be just fine... we are always here, so feel free to ask whatever you need or whenever you need help. Don't rush into things, just calm down, and with cool head, you can overcome every single problem in the world. We are here to help people like you. I one doesn't know how to help, he will ask another one. This forum is gathering of so nice people that you can't even imagine. It works just like a chain. We help each other, but if sometimes we need help, it's not shame to ask... right ?

Gateway or not, that's the question. I don't wanna promote anyone or bad talk about same, but it's well known that those big companies have pretty deplorable technical support. It doesn't matter are those guys and girls from foreign countries or not... Of course "in every corn you can find tare", but saying that it's only because of foreign technicians, it's wrong. I am originaly from Croatia, Europe. I live and work as Computer technician (service guy) in Toronto, and I can tell you that I've met so many people from other countries, ubelievable computer educated. Also, on the other hand, I've met so many people that work in this field and don't have a clue... they even don't know what DOS stands for...  ::) And believe me, they are all around the world, but also some of them are originaly from Canada and USA... they don't have a clue... So, that means just one thing - no rules at all.

And by the way... everything those guys (Gateway) did to you smells to me just like one big rip off... you should complain if it's possible.

Take care my friend !

Sasha

P.S. Don't forget to come back in case you need help, but also you can stick around and try to help to those who needs our help if you know the answer sometimes...

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2004, 11:47:21 PM »
fhurst
A roadmap is simpler than you can imagine. Simply open up a function and then do a screen print and save it with the name of the function (s) you are displaying. Remember to be as discriptive as you have to be to refresh your memory how you got to that function. Save each of those function srenn prints as a Jpg's to a Folder something like:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Roadmap\
would be fine.
Make sure the screen capture is of the function window only. You don't want full screen captures.
Let us know how you make out with this project.
Thanks and good luck. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2004, 04:14:44 AM »
fhurst, nobody borns knowing...
To know avast! I had to translate it... 150 hours!
Well, a suggestion, follow the help file with calm and compare it with the program windows. That's the way I learned...

Oh, I forgot, asking and reading the forums too  8)
You don't have to follow the same way. Just follow your way. You will see the truth of the Sasha's words above.  8)
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 06:46:39 AM »

And remember this ... the big computer companies are in the business of making money from you ... hence, little need for them to have great technical help for you.    :(