Author Topic: avast! 5 Outlook Plug-in, Mail Shield, & SSL Accounts  (Read 4146 times)

Jon_T

avast! 5 Outlook Plug-in, Mail Shield, & SSL Accounts
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:25:16 AM »
Read a lot the posts of users having various problems with their email, especially with email accounts that use SSL.

One of the constant recommendations (and in the avast! help) is to uncheck (disable) the email client's SSL and/or TLS.

Does the avast! MS Outlook Plug-In mitigate from having to uncheck (disable) the email client's SSL and/or TLS?

Since installing avast! Pro 5.0.377.0 (currently using custom install of AIS 5.0.462) both ISP (POP/SMTP) and GMail (IMAP/SMTP) accounts have worked without any issues/problems, and no messages of any kind from avast! about not being able to scan email.

My Outlook is still using the ISP (POP/SMTP) and GMail (IMAP/SMTP) SSL ports with SSL enabled. I checked the Mail Shield and it shows that messages have been scanned (see below), and checked the avast! Expert Settings > SSL Accounts, and avast! has not made any entries, and the "Automatically detect an warn about unprotected SSL connections" is checked. Even clicked (enabled) the "Insert note into clean message", and the message is inserted into sent and received emails.

Per the above it appears that emails are being scanned, but are the contents of the emails actually being scanned by the Mail Shield being that Outlook using the SSL ports with SSL enabled?

Win XP Pro SP3 and Outlook 2003; see sig for further system info.

TIA for any comments and/or input.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: avast! 5 Outlook Plug-in, Mail Shield, & SSL Accounts
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:54:35 AM »
Outlook works on a different basis, you use the avast plug in.
Other email-clients don't use this plug in.
So I think for outlook, this is normal behaviour.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Jon_T

Re: avast! 5 Outlook Plug-in, Mail Shield, & SSL Accounts
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:10:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Looked through the Help and "Quick Start Guide" and did not see anything on the avast! MS Outlook Plug-in.

Sure be helpful if avast! provided some decent documentation for the new version 5.