Author Topic: Avast 5.0.418 turning off all protection every few minutes  (Read 11402 times)

stansfield

Avast 5.0.418 turning off all protection every few minutes
« on: February 28, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »
Hi All,

I have a serious problem after upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0.418.

The whole Avast security disables itself every several minutes, with no notification. I only see the small cross appearing on the tray icon, and I have to turn the Avast shields on again (e.g. by pressing 'Fix it' on the Summary screen). The message there just says that "Avast! antivirus program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state.".

When I press "Fix it" everything seems to turn back on, but I get a message saying sth like "the following components could not be started: [and a list of all the components here, mail, IM, p2p etc]".

I've reinstalled Avast after a suggestion on the forum, but the problem remains.

I've also determined that the problem has nothing to do with the computer going to sleep or anything like that - I can be working the whole time, and it happens, or I can leave the computer unattended..

If it's not fixed soon I guess I will have to uninstall it and go back to 4.8 :/

I'd appreciate any help. I can upload my logs if needed.

(I'm running Win 7 Ult 64-bit on a ThinkPad X61t)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:12:07 PM by stansfield »

trux

Re: Avast 5.0.418 turning off all protection every few minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:55:18 PM »
i have same problem mine turned off after a system restore. it turned off and i cant get it to turn back on at all win XP 64 bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »
After a system restore, I'll suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

I know... it shouldn't be that way as system restore shouldn't mess avast, but it does...
The best things in life are free.

stansfield

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »
After a system restore, I'll suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

I know... it shouldn't be that way as system restore shouldn't mess avast, but it does...

Well my problem isn't related to system restore, I don't use it at all really. Any ideas what I should do? Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »
Well my problem isn't related to system restore
How do you know?
If you use it and it messed avast installation, then...

stansfield

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »
Well my problem isn't related to system restore
How do you know?
If you use it and it messed avast installation, then...

As I said, I don't use it at all. I have a fresh Windows 7 installation and I haven't used system restore even once yet..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
Sorry, I messed with trux's post.

jet45789

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
Hello, I updated my copy of Avast Free on my laptop recently and have been experiencing the same problem. Every several minutes, all of the Avast services stop. I can restart them by pressing the restart services button, but several minutes later, they simply stop again. I have uninstalled/ reinstalled several times to no effect. I am running on Windows Vista Home Premium 32 CQ70 Compaq Presario Notebook. Interestingly, I haven't had any problems with my two Vista 64 Desktops. Any help would be appreciated.  :-\

stansfield

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
Hello, I updated my copy of Avast Free on my laptop recently and have been experiencing the same problem. Every several minutes, all of the Avast services stop. I can restart them by pressing the restart services button, but several minutes later, they simply stop again. I have uninstalled/ reinstalled several times to no effect. I am running on Windows Vista Home Premium 32 CQ70 Compaq Presario Notebook. Interestingly, I haven't had any problems with my two Vista 64 Desktops. Any help would be appreciated.  :-\

Updated to the new pre-release build yesterday, and as of now it seems OK :)

stansfield

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
Aaand the same again.. the comp was up the whole night, and all the services stopped sometime then. So, the new build DOES NOT fix this problem.. :/

syntaxcoyote

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 04:26:49 AM »
I'm having a similar problem on an HP laptop running Win7 Ultimate 32 bit. It's not turning off every few minutes, but it does randomly stop all protection at least once a day. The error messages are the same as those in OP's post.
This is a big problem, as there is no notification. Without checking the icon every few minutes, there is no way to know if my system is protected or not.
All previous versions of avast have worked fine; the random stoppages are a direct result of "upgrading" to V5.x. I have already tried a clean install, and have not used system restore.

zfactor

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:05:12 AM »
okay first get the uninstall tool.

run that now if need be run as admin on vista and win7 systems.

let it reboot.

go to folder options and check the show hidden folders option. now go to the program data folder under the c: drive and delete the alwil folder. also delete the alwil folder in the program files note if you have win 32 or 64 bit and go to the appropriate program files folder if you are unsure check both. reboot the system again

now try to run the installation again for avast 5 and use the newest version not a old one.

let it reboot and try it again and see if this works it fixed my install on the one system that was doing this.

centaurette

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 08:09:57 AM »
I had the same problem.  Every 5 - 30 minutes, I would happen to glance down, notice a red x on the orange ball, try to click on it and it would say "Avast is shut down and computer is not secured".  I'd go into the user interface, use the Fix It button, and off it would go again.  Somewhere someone mentioned about turning off Behavior Shield.  I accidentally turned off the monitoring of Behavior Shield and I haven't had problems since.  The Behavior Shield itself is still running.  And, I had already stopped the monitoring of P2P and Network Shields day ago so it might also be the combination of the 3 that worked.  I've been using the computer for over an hour now and no shut downs yet.

To turn off the BS monitoring,  ;D, I went into Settings in the upper right-hand corner, clicked on Status Bar on the left side, and unchecked Behavior Shield under Components Monitored.  You'll see the P2P and Network in there too if you decide to uncheck those boxes also.

Hope this helps because it took me FOREVER to find this forum a 2nd time so I could post my findings.  : :-\

tintti

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
Hello  :)

I have this same problem: avast shuts itself every 10 minutes and I have to manually start it again. Very annoying but also a bit frightening. Registered here to find a solution for this.

This problem started today, right after I downloaded the newest version avast was offering me (5.0.462). I did nothing else, just clicked the red notice I was given (instead of the normal blue one).

To turn off the BS monitoring,  ;D, I went into Settings in the upper right-hand corner, clicked on Status Bar on the left side, and unchecked Behavior Shield under Components Monitored.  You'll see the P2P and Network in there too if you decide to uncheck those boxes also.

Ok, I did this. But what are these, Behaviour Shield, P2P and network? What do they do, or what do they not do when unchecked? Please, could someone enlighten me?     

tintti

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 11:41:55 PM »
Tintti reporting....

1. "I went into Settings in the upper right-hand corner, clicked on Status Bar on the left side, and unchecked Behavior Shield under Components Monitored.  You'll see the P2P and Network in there too if you decide to uncheck those boxes also."

I did this, to no avail. Avast kept closing about every 10 minutes.

2. Next I did exactly what the Tech person suggested (in post #3). Everything went fine until I was in #5. Got an error and that's it! No way was I able to get avast installed. It was an error. I was so frustrated that I forgot the take a print screen so I could have shown you what the error exactly said. ...go to internet settings...empty cache...

3. There I was with no virus scanner what so ever, And yes BTW you _could_ mention that if you are uninstalling your virus scanner you should also unconnect your system from the internet. It can be obvious to you but perhaps not to everyone else. Anyway, what was I supposed to do? Definitely didn't want to go to the net without any virus scanner. But I had my latest local computer magazine and its CD with a free virus scanner, unfortunately not avast. So here I am happily surfing without worries. Sorry Avast folks, but I don't need this sort of hassle nor do I want to be a technician.

One more note before I leave you in peace. Why was the new avast 'sign', the little thing next to the time in the lower bottom corner, changed from blue to a red with some white in it? Now that I had this annoying problem of a closing virus scanner, it had a red cross with some white on it. A red ball with a red cross, muddled with some white markings? This made the whole thing double annoying. A real genius of a designer there!