Author Topic: Avast now shows ads like AVG  (Read 9638 times)

AnthonySavino

Avast now shows ads like AVG
« on: March 02, 2010, 02:01:14 AM »
I was speaking of avast 5 highly and braging on it , but the past week I noticed it advertising there new security suite. If I signed up for the free version I obviously don't want the security suite. Why can't there be a way to turn it off ? I never thought Avast would do this. I thank you for the free service but I do not like the idea of ads. I decided to switch to Avira. I just hate ads. I will delete my user name on the forum too. Thanks for all the help and service.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 02:03:11 AM by AnthonySavino »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast now shows ads like AVG
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:53 AM »
Ads are a part of any free product. They work, thats why they are there. Avira will eventually have the same ads if the don't already
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Jahn

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:59:20 AM »
I don't find the ad in the UI invasive at all. Heck, even SAS Pro Lifetime tries to sell you an additional licence when you update... ::)

Jon_T

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:08 AM »
... I decided to switch to Avira. I just hate ads. ...
Well I doubt you'll be happy with the free Avira either, unless the following works with latest version:
Unable-to-Disable-Avira-Antivir-9-nag-screen

Amazes me how some complain about good free software -- could understand if a software had a always on banner like the old free Opera browser, or a re-occurring pop-up on display you had to keep closing.

Bottom line: TANSTAAFL

I guess you could use MSE.  ;D

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:31:58 AM »

I guess you could use MSE.  ;D

Yep, I can vouch for that, No ads at all with MSE.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »
You only see it if you open the UI interface and then only in the Summary section, none of the other operational sections of the UI, this is probably the most unobtrusive ad I have ever seen; believe me I whined like a stuck pig at the early ad placement in avast 4.8, which was totally in your face in every part of the on-access scanner window.

I hope you are happy with avira, but baby and bathwater come to mind here ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »

In reference to the original poster :

Some people like to make mountains out of mole hills and are never satisfied.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »
I decided to switch to Avira.
Nonsense. The avast ad is not obstrusive. On contrary, you'll get a popup of Avira EVERY DAY...
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
There is always a smiling gentleman available to help in the complaint department.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »
Lol, sorry but this is the greatest nonsense i've ever heard. avast!'s ad is a static graphic that just sits there in only one place inside interface and does nothing unles you click on it. If you don't open avast!, you'll never see it. Where with AVIRA, it will forcebly popup its crap on the screen if you like it or not. So running to AVIRA just because of that (and even going to a worse thing) is rather funny.
As for the "why is the ad even there", ALWIL programmers have to eat as well, so if anyone decides to go Internet Security, that's better than nothing. Makes sense doesn't it? Also other programs do this in much more intrusive way, so i don't get it what's all the fuss about simple ad in avast!.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Sesame

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
I decided to switch to Avira.
Nonsense. The avast ad is not obstrusive. On contrary, you'll get a popup of Avira EVERY DAY...
Precisely speaking, it shows nag screens whenever it finds something to update.  It is first time for me to see someone who is replacing his/her AV with Avira for this reason...   :o

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »
It is just telling you if you want to upgrade it, you can just put the license key in the free version and it will do an update automatically and after a reboot it is upgraded.

It is just an in case which will save some people's time more :)
I take it as an advantage than something bad ;D

Mr.Agent

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
Seriously i dont got any problem with the ads of avast!. I just love it !!! ;D

I tested Avira 9 Personal and i did update it and its was a big wow when i did see the ads.

I almost said what the ??? Bipp.... what is that ? :o

Also AVG the ads im not sure but i think he show when you update and in the UI.

I find AVG ads more annoying as its dont fit great on the UI.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 06:37:30 PM »
Lol, sorry but this is the greatest nonsense i've ever heard. avast!'s ad is a static graphic that just sits there in only one place inside interface and does nothing unles you click on it. If you don't open avast!, you'll never see it. Where with AVIRA, it will forcebly popup its crap on the screen if you like it or not. So running to AVIRA just because of that (and even going to a worse thing) is rather funny.
As for the "why is the ad even there", ALWIL programmers have to eat as well, so if anyone decides to go Internet Security, that's better than nothing. Makes sense doesn't it? Also other programs do this in much more intrusive way, so i don't get it what's all the fuss about simple ad in avast!.

that's what you call static? (see screenshot) all those connections are related to avast UI >>> ads , ie they have nothing to do with updates. I do not run the free version anymore (all these avast UI connections obviously don't exist in AIS), so I have no idea what the ad is now, if it's just the AIS promo or other stuff sent from the web. The ad use to be just a pic in the UI during the beta testing. Since the final was released, it's web content.
 This said I do admit the AIS ad wasn't bothering at all, as I agree that Avast must also get something in return for the free version, mentioning again if needed that you get a complete AV solution for free, and there's no other company that does that. But I don't accept these tens of connections to tens of servers. Again I don't run the "free" version anymore, so I do not have this problem anymore, easy to solve by the way. So, to finish here, yes for a few ads, but no to the number of extra connections.

from here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54828.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
I don't see what's the problem. So what if few packets go around. Updater does that all the time.
Would you rather see traffic and annoying popups jumping all over the screen?
One reason why i ditched AVIRA and will not use it again until they remove that idiotic popup.
And i wasn't a fan of AVG so i don't care much about it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog