Author Topic: Avast 5.0.418 wont update?  (Read 13077 times)

The KIDD

Avast 5.0.418 wont update?
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »
Hey Gang,

I installed Avast 5 on my XP system a few days ago replacing 4.8 and noticed that it has not been updating..I tried to update manually and it says It "cannot connect to server". I did get a virus alert while on Myspace  BEFORE updating to 5.0.418 but ran malware bytes and removed 3 infections. The internet is working fine and there are no oddities and all programs seem to be working fine..Are there any known viruses that could be preventing Avast from updating?....I did the exact update  a few weeks ago on my WIN 2000 computer it is updating fine automatically and manually...Any ideas on what the problem could be.

Thanks ,
John.

TheScorpion

Re: Avast 5.0.418 wont update?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:50:55 AM »
Are you using Comodo firewall? I had the same problem and found that Comodo was blocking the update connection. I think there may be some kind of conflict between the 'avast.setup' file (I heard this may be  generated each bootup and checks for updates?) and Comodo.
Could be worth checking your firewall if you have one to make sure there are no blocks listed anywhere on Alwil or Avast.

The KIDD

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:31:23 AM »
Hey , thanks for your reply but Im not using any firewall.. 4.8 updated just fine prior to changing to 5.0. Thats why I was wondering if any known virus could be responsible..I doesnt make any since that it would download fine then all the sudden not update???..Wonder if I could still go back to 4.8?
John

gtafanboy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:42:31 AM »
Unfortunately i cant help with your updating issue, but you can still roll back to 4.8, its just not as easy to find as avast 5.

http://www.soft32.com/download_81088.html  heres a site where you can download 4.8, id avise you download 4.8 and then uninstall 5

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:01 AM »
Try setting direct connection no proxy to see if that works or try a repair of avast through add/remove programs

greyboy

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:51:50 AM »
mine too it wont update automatically, i'm on dial-up connection. before upgrading to ver 5. automatic updating is fine. now i have to manually update.

when i cliked the maintenance tab the message was always "last update attempt". it means its trying to update but it can't.

raziel

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
Hi greyboy! I had the same problem with auto-updates of virus definitions in Avast! 5.0.418 Free. After many days of searching for the main cause of this bug, I have finally found it. In my case, it was just enough to uninstall Ashampoo Firewall 1.20 Free from my computer and install Outpost Firewall 2009 Free ver. 6.5.1 (2725.381.0687) from http://free.agnitum.com/trial-pay/. Once you have installed Outpost Firewall 2009 on your machine, your auto-update issue should be gone for good. Best regards!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:30:45 PM by raziel »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
mine too it wont update automatically, i'm on dial-up connection. before upgrading to ver 5. automatic updating is fine. now i have to manually update.

when i cliked the maintenance tab the message was always "last update attempt". it means its trying to update but it can't.

Unfortunately that doesn't tell us anything.

Last update attempt means just that attempt, it doesn't mean it failed as it may mean there was no update available. Normally if an update attempt fails you get a pop-up to that effect, at least that is what happened in avast 4.8.

You don't tell is what virus definition version you have, the latest being 100306-1 ?

You don't say if you have tried a manual update and what happens there ?

P.S. I'm on dial-up and no problems.
- Have you made any changes to the default settings in the avast Settings, Update, Update Parameters section (both boxes should be unchecked) ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:11:00 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
I am having the same problem.  It has been like this for the last two days, (Version 5.0.418, Windows XP SP-3)

For the past two days,

I have not been able to get automatic updates.  The notification says that the last attempt was unsuccessful and I either have to do a "Repair", a "Reboot,: or a Manual Update.   Than it works.  I do not use a proxy.

I wonder if there is a server problem or this has something to do with the planned rollout of the new program version soon?

David or Vlk, what are you seeing on your end in this regard?  Thanks!

Jack

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 11:26:52 PM »
If you do not use a proxy, change to "No proxy" into Updates settings.
The best things in life are free.

Jack 1000

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 12:12:02 AM »
If you do not use a proxy, change to "No proxy" into Updates settings.

Thanks Tech!

Done.  I recall a similar issue that some users had about three months ago where there was a 3-day intermittent problem with one of Avast's servers, than it started working again.  Vlk, I also sent you an e-mail about this issue.  Thanks again.

Will watch and see what happens.

Jack

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »
I am having the same problem.  It has been like this for the last two days, (Version 5.0.418, Windows XP SP-3)

For the past two days,

I have not been able to get automatic updates.  The notification says that the last attempt was unsuccessful and I either have to do a "Repair", a "Reboot,: or a Manual Update.   Than it works.  I do not use a proxy.

I wonder if there is a server problem or this has something to do with the planned rollout of the new program version soon?

David or Vlk, what are you seeing on your end in this regard?  Thanks!

My end is the same end as yours as I'm just another avast user like yourself.

Auto update works for me, too well if anything on dial-up, it is off checking for updates like a rat up a drainpipe once I open a dial-up connection. I have been trying to delay the auto update check like I used to with 4.8, but the same setting in avast5.ini as I put in avast4.ini doesn't appear to work.

Since you don't mention what your connection method is or if you have changed any of the default Update settings (or proxy as Tech mentions), there really is no way to say.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 01:34:02 AM »
I am having the same problem.  It has been like this for the last two days, (Version 5.0.418, Windows XP SP-3)

For the past two days,

I have not been able to get automatic updates.  The notification says that the last attempt was unsuccessful and I either have to do a "Repair", a "Reboot,: or a Manual Update.   Than it works.  I do not use a proxy.

David or Vlk, what are you seeing on your end in this regard?  Thanks!

My end is the same end as yours as I'm just another avast user like yourself.

Auto update works for me, too well if anything on dial-up, it is off checking for updates like a rat up a drainpipe once I open a dial-up connection. I have been trying to delay the auto update check like I used to with 4.8, but the same setting in avast5.ini as I put in avast4.ini doesn't appear to work.

Since you don't mention what your connection method is or if you have changed any of the default Update settings (or proxy as Tech mentions), there really is no way to say.

David,

See my post above,

I changed settings to No Proxy.  My connection is Time Warner Cable, Wireless Road Runner Internet.  I use a Cable Modem (NetGear.)  Last update attempt was about an hour ago with no problems. (No error message showed.)

I do have a question through,

When Avast sends the error message out and it says, "The update was unsuccessful" does that mean:

1.) There was an update to the definitions that it couldn't get? OR.

2.) There doesn't have to be an update avaliable, the message just says it tried to update and could not do so?

Jack

PS.  If I right-click on "Show the last pop-up message," the old message about the failed update is still there.  However, if I open up the program, it shows it tried to update an hour ago with no error message showing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:37:33 AM by Jack 1000 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 02:11:53 AM »
If you change any of the Update Parameters (the area I mentioned as I think that can stuff up auto updates) e.g. My computer is permanently connected to the internet. As doing the same for dial-up if you were on it some stuffs up the auto update.

My best guess on the "The update was unsuccessful" meaning, is that the update attempt was unsuccessful, just what it says not that there was or wasn't an update available as we don't know at what point the update failed.

What I do know is what it doesn't mean, if there is an update check and no update is present then it completes with success and reports "Last update attempt (plus the date time group), rather than "The update was unsuccessful."

Again, is means what it says on the tin, you asked for the last pop-up message and that is what you got, the last pop-up. A successful update check if there was no update available doesn't display a pop-up, so what you are seeing is the historic, last pop-up displayed.

For me the last pop-up was a success and an update was done (see image), so I got the update "Your virus definitions have been automatically updated," even though the last update check succeeded but there was no update available.

Jack 1000

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 02:20:16 AM »
If you change any of the Update Parameters (the area I mentioned as I think that can stuff up auto updates) e.g. My computer is permanently connected to the internet. As doing the same for dial-up if you were on it some stuffs up the auto update.

My best guess on the "The update was unsuccessful" meaning, is that the update attempt was unsuccessful, just what it says not that there was or wasn't an update available as we don't know at what point the update failed.

What I do know is what it doesn't mean, if there is an update check and no update is present then it completes with success and reports "Last update attempt (plus the date time group), rather than "The update was unsuccessful."

Again, is means what it says on the tin, you asked for the last pop-up message and that is what you got, the last pop-up. A successful update check if there was no update available doesn't display a pop-up, so what you are seeing is the historic, last pop-up displayed.

For me the last pop-up was a success and an update was done (see image), so I got the update "Your virus definitions have been automatically updated," even though the last update check succeeded but there was no update available.

That helped!

Now for the record, I always and still have, "My Computer is Permanently Connected to the Internet" checked, because it is.  Should I watch to see if I get another unsuccessful update, and if I do, uncheck it?

Jack
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:30:35 AM by Jack 1000 »