Author Topic: When's The Next Revision?  (Read 4606 times)

georgermct

When's The Next Revision?
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »
I just started getting the red pop up window urging me to upgrade to 5 but I'm way too scared to try this again until things are fully ironed out (4.8 works perfectly).

There are still a lot of issues with .418.  Are there any newer tested revisions coming out soon?

I can't believe they are rolling .418 out with all these issues popping up on this board every day.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: When's The Next Revision?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »
Tons of users have already upgraded to version 5.
It's impossible to say that your computer will be ok, but a software will never be completely ironed out.
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

norel

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
If 4.8 is working perfectly for you, just disable the notice and use it until it's no longer supported.  :)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »
I can't believe they are rolling .418 out with all these issues popping up on this board every day.

Well, .418 is working just fine on my four computers, so not all have problems with the latest version. For me, .418 is really stable on all my computers with different hardware and OS , but hopefully, a new version will comming soon, so people that have problems, hopefully will be as happy as I am when I'm using Avast 5  ;D
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

olddog

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:54:38 AM »
I just started getting the red pop up window urging me to upgrade to 5 but I'm way too scared to try this again until things are fully ironed out (4.8 works perfectly).

As far as I know, there are no awards for moving from 4.8 to 5.0.

For those who have, and who have not had problems, that's great.

For those who moved and have problems with 5.0, it is a matter of either waiting until there is some announcement or update release from Awil, (who seem to be somewhat absent from the forum for the last few days, hopefully bunkered down working on solutions), or moving back to 4.8. I would go that way rather than move to another product as some have done.

For those who are still on 4.8 and not experiencing any problems, I agree with the earlier post from Norel, stay with 4.8 until it becomes clear from the forum that the problems with the core functions of 5.0 have been fixed.

alghorabaaa

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:14:48 AM »
I'm using avast! v5 since BETA2 on my windows 7 without single error till now.

georgermct

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »
Tons of users have already upgraded to version 5.
It's impossible to say that your computer will be ok, but a software will never be completely ironed out.
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

Tech...I followed your instructions to the letter (I used the Uninstall Utility in Safe mode).
Things seem really good.
So far no freezing, no slow downs.  Updates work.  Tested it with eicar.com and got alerted to all the tests.
Thanks ;D

Note: I was NOT prompted to reboot (which I did after Safe mode uninstall and Regular install).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:10:57 PM by georgermct »

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »
@ olddog

INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.447]
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56551.0

No problems on my systems.   8)

twl845

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

If Avast! were able to clean up every bug and made it rock solid, there would always be people having issues. .418 is as close to flawless on my computer as you can get, but some people as always have problems. The only way to know if it runs well on your computer is to try it.  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:45:46 PM »
I don't think we can ever get to a state where "...it becomes clear from the forum that the problems with the core functions of 5.0 have been fixed".

I mean, if you had a look at the forum a year ago, for example, there were many many posts from people having issues with v4.8... and that's perfectly normal, that's what the forum is for.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not easy to judge the quality of a product by looking at a forum like this.

On a side note, avast 5 is now installed on roughly 15 million computers, and this number is growing by a few hundred thousand every day. Most of these people are fairly happy with it.

This is not to say there are no issues in v5. But these are being worked out fast.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »
That a good thing to hear from ALWIL.

This is not to say there are no issues in v5. But these are being worked out fast.

And i agree the forum is for that.

As its a support forum. ;D

PS : You need to mention that a program without bug its dont exist. So users and business are the best way to find out alot bugs.