Author Topic: webshield blocking web access  (Read 11482 times)

rudolffischer

webshield blocking web access
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »
Hi
since today, I cannot access the web anymore on one of my PCs. not with IE8, not with Firefox. I have XP SP3, Outlook 2007, IE8, Firefox installed. Avast Free 5.0.418. This happens only with the browsers. Outlook 2007 and other applications can access the web fine.
If I turn off "scan web (http) traffic", I can access the web with the browsers no problem.
On my other PC's with the same programs installed, I don't have this issue.
Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?
Thanks and regards
Rudi

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: webshield blocking web access
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:28:11 PM »
Sounds more like your firewall blocking avast's web shield function:
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cadremis

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
I guess something is happening since I have DSL and it is taking time to open pages with firefox

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »
I guess something is happening since I have DSL and it is taking time to open pages with firefox

related to avast web shield ?

Morgenstern72

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:12 PM »
I have the exact same problem!
Yesterday all worked fine, today no Browser could connect (no problem for avast updates, google talk and so on).

This definitely has to do with some update of Avast or Microsoft. I have not installed any other web related product or firewall since months.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
Avast 5.0418
Database 100303-0

Enabled Web Security stops surfing in any browser (tried Chrome 4, IE8, Firefox 3.6) but every other access to the internet is working.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:30:16 PM »
Have you done as I suggested in my first reply and more importantly what is your firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Morgenstern72

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »
Have you done as I suggested in my first reply and more importantly what is your firewall.

Windows internal firewall.
There is no entry for avastSvc.exe. There either never was an entry or it was removed in mysterious ways from yesterday to today.
It's not asking to allow Avast to connect; it never has.

But I am willing to try a solution: what exactly do you want me to enter?

Thx alot for your time and effort to help me/us :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
Well by default the win7 firewalls outbound protection is disabled (so shouldn't be getting in the way) and as such should not get in the way. So have you got the outbound protection enabled in the win7 firewall ?

Do you connect to the internet using a web proxy ?
Do you get any errors displayed ?

You could try manually setting the browser to use the avast web shield localhost proxy, see below, whilst these may not be for your version of IE or Firefox, you should be able to find the corresponding settings:
For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Morgenstern72

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
Outbound: allow default (no block outbound rules)
Proxy: I connect directly to the internet, no proxy (no DSL, no dial in)
Errors: no errors. The browsers can resolve the names but you can see no website. It tries to connect and tries and tries and after some time a blank screen comes.

I for sure do not want connect over the avast proxy. I am very happy that I am not forced over some proxies and I do not want to start with it just because my antivirus does not behave from one day to another.

By the way, Avast Support wanted a HiJackThis Report from me which I sent them. It seems obscure to me that they suggest some virus on my system that causes this behavior but maybe there is something like that. Spybot (no resident parts running) did not find anything.

PS: the only thing i installed yesterday was Chrome 4 and Windows Defender Updates. All was running fine and I shut down my PC allowing it to install the windows updates. Starting the PC today and no surfing possible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »
You aren't connecting 'over the avast proxy' you connect as normal to the internet. However, normally what happens when browsing, the web shield transparently intercepts http port 80 traffic. For whatever reason this isn't happening the manual setting of the browser proxy so that http port 80 traffic can be scanned protecting your system from internet malware.

If nothing else this will give an idea of what is being blocked, if the browser can display the pages and web shield is able to scan that content, then something is blocking the web shield proxy.

Unfortunately, I can't be any practical help with win7 or windows defender as I don't use either of those.

robert8199

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »
I have the same issue. Here are some things I have found.
Windows XP Pro SP3
Avast 5.0.418
Verizon FIOS 50MB through Sonicwall 2040
With default settings http access is blocked. Can ping yahoo.com but cannot retrieve web page.
Since I can ping that means DNS is working. I tried setting proxy to localhost 12080. Did not change anything. Turn off the shield and web browsing works. Turned off Windows firewall, no change.

2nd PC
Windows XP Pro SP3
Avast 5.0.418
Verizon FIOS 50MB through Sonicwall 2040
Only difference is I installed Flashpeak's Slim Browser
Through slim browser can access webpages.
IE8, Firefox, Chrome all fail.

Went back to the first computer and installed Slim Browser and it will access web pages through slim browser only. All settings were default.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »
Is everything right into your hosts file?
Any other security program that could interfere?
Does it occur with every browser?
The best things in life are free.

Morgenstern72

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »
1. Is everything right into your hosts file?
2. Any other security program that could interfere?
3. Does it occur with every browser?

1. Yes, only wanted entries (but you can give me some hint for a tracerout if you think theres a problem reaching some sites)
2. No
3. Yes (IE 8, Firefox 3.6, Chrome 4)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »
Sorry, I'm not an expert on tracerouting.
I have one website that I can't reach also and never find how to solve this.
The best things in life are free.

robert8199

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 07:44:14 PM »
1st PC is a new build clean host file.
2nd PC about 3 months old clean host file.
I only have Avast 5.0.418 on 4 computers
have Avast 4 Pro on about 120 computers all with no problem