Author Topic: Virtualization does not stop  (Read 4427 times)

tevion

Virtualization does not stop
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
Good morning to all!
I use prozess virtualisation feature for Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Since last program-update to v. 454 virtualization does not stop.
No possibility stopping about shell - right click on for example Firefox_exe - run outside sandbox
nor deleting the command under process virtualization tab, expert settings, have any impact.
I can`t find something in the forum about this phenomenon.
Trough there updating Firefox addons is impossible.
Any ideas ?

Hermite15

Re: Virtualization does not stop
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
there's a bug in 454 messing with virtualization. Read the main 454 thread and you'll learn about it and how to fix it temporarily  ;) >>> deactivate self-defense module in avast main settings...until a new build is there to correct the issue.

tevion

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
Thanks Logos, that was the solution.
I have read the thread but did not recognize the same problematic.
Let`s wait until next update will come.
Tevion

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »

You should be able to update FF addons even if FF is running virtualized. Some operations are not virtualized and legitimate changing of browser configuration is one of them. This can be disabled in settings.

tevion

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:44:31 PM »

You should be able to update FF addons even if FF is running virtualized. Some operations are not virtualized and legitimate changing of browser configuration is one of them. This can be disabled in settings.

Thanks pk, i have to set an exclusion for addons like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\*  ??
Is this correct ?
Tevion

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:44:58 PM »
Tevion, I wish pk confirm the necessity of having that exclusion.
Anyway, there is another folder at least (\extensions) that need to be there.
The best things in life are free.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
Checkbox "Automatically detect safe locations and exclude them from virtualized" is checked by default, it means all downloads (in standard way) won't be virtualized. It also means, that some settings inside browsers won't be virtualized either (bookmarks, cookies, history ...). I think we'll split it into more checkboxes or rather we'll try to add more expert settings in new builds.

Add-on updates cannot be detected automatically, because when I've updated my three addons I saw a lot of internal files were modified (prefs.js, data files, ...). For now, you 'll need to run FF outside the sandbox and perform these "radical" changes there. I think we'll include a checkbox in expert settings which would allow to stop virtualizing for the entire FF profile (unchecked by default, because I guess it might be a security risk).

Thanks pk, i have to set an exclusion for addons like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\*  ??
The right entry to exclude the entire FF profile is: %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\* (don't use Browse button, just copy&paste it there)