Author Topic: *** INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [now 5.0.460] ***  (Read 88876 times)

Hermite15

Re: *** INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [now 5.0.454] ***
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2010, 11:36:44 AM »
...OK the devs have got to sleep too  ;) I was expecting a new build with the sandboxing fixed. Hopefully later today...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:49 AM »
The sandbox is broken by a hardened self defense. If you disable self-defense, sandbox will work OK (of course, this is not a fix, just a temporary solution).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hermite15

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
The sandbox is broken by a hardened self defense. If you disable self-defense, sandbox will work OK (of course, this is not a fix, just a temporary solution).

Thanks
Vlk

OK thanks for the tip with this temporary fix, that will do in the meantime, no problem.

edit: confirming it works fine with self defense module deactivated.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:47:41 AM by Logos »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
Confirmed, the suggested temporary fix does the trick :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Hermite15

« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
just one thing I noticed (nothing to do with the sandboxing issue), since 454, the progress bar for manual scans really takes a while before showing anything. The scans run, absolutely normally, but the progress bar (percentage number as well as yellow progression) is really late when it starts. For instance, I got a scan running for 3 minutes now, and the bar is empty/idle.
 And when it finally starts showing something, it's not accurate at all (percentage is wrong)... it finally catches up with the actual stand of the scan when half of it is done.
 edit: example on screen shot after about 40 secs...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:02:40 PM by Logos »

ace11

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
B454  solved the FW statistic problem I reported @ this thread.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2010, 12:49:12 PM »
Logos: progress bar... when you start full system scan, first anti-rootkit scans your system and some GUI controls are not refreshed (e.g. number of tested folders remains "1", etc). I think it's difficult to notify GUI about processing just from antirootkit module.

Hermite15

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »
Logos: progress bar... when you start full system scan, first anti-rootkit scans your system and some GUI controls are not refreshed (e.g. number of tested folders remains "1", etc). I think it's difficult to notify GUI about processing just from antirootkit module.

yeah OK, thanks, I knew the anti-rootkit scan was part of it, I should have thought it was that and the actual "classical" virus scan was starting later. Which means as you said that for technical issues, the anti-rootkit cannot be reflected in real time in the progress bar.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:54:45 PM by Logos »

PhilR

Re: *** INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.447] ***
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
You kindly asked me to install the Visual C++ files from Microsoft.
I did this and ran into yet more problems - they fail to install because of Error 1935 HRESULT 0x80073712
This time a Vista problem
KB Knowledge Base gives multiple complex fixes one being install Vista SP1 ( I am still on the original OEM ver)
Strange I read this somewhere before SP1 was required for Avast ver5 on a Google search ?
Oh dear!

On April 13th, 2010, Windows Vista RTM will reach the end of support.  Current service pack for Vista is SP2.

You're not doing yourself any favours by not updating your PC (first to SP1, then to SP2).

Phil

Hermite15

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »
@ pk: I was thinking about it yesterday while looking into the avast5.ini file and the misc preset scan configurations: would it be possible to add a line in the GUI while scanning, for instance, above the progress bar, next to "scan running...", to tell what sort of scan phase is on, ie rootkit, then memory etc...?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:19:53 PM by Logos »

dabeniao

« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
hi,

I was testing the new 454 version on my XP VM. I installed the Free Antivirus product. When I clicked the register button, it said "obtaining information", the

message disappeared and nothing happened. Is this a new bug in 454?

Alepompa

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
I'm traying, for two days, to install the version 5.0 that I paid. I have the Vista in my computer.

After the boot, the OS doen't work. What I can do? ??? :-X

Hermite15

« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »
I'm traying, for two days, to install the version 5.0 that I paid. I have the Vista in my computer.

After the boot, the OS doen't work. What I can do? ??? :-X

may be you can start a new thread to tell which version of Avast5 you got exactly, and describe what you mean by "doesn't work"...
(this thread is related to the testing of new builds not officially released)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:40:54 PM by Logos »

Alepompa

« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
The version of AVast is 5.0.418.0

After the instalation the VISTA shut down because of conflit.

I star in safe mode and uninstall the Avast and the computer return OK.

Hermite15

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
@ pk: sorry but, again, about the progress bar... I'm currently running a full scan in low priority (no persistence cache used nor written, purposely)... it can take forever but I don't care, temps are very low (55°C/laptop CPU) and the rest of the system runs as fast as if no scan was running, so I like it that way (was really not possible to get that before 454 modifications) >>> back to topic: the progress bar hasn't moved an inch and the actual virus scan is running, it's not the anti-rootkit anymore now...OK, see screen shot:

edit:my bad, seeing what the software is scanning now, I can tell that it was indeed the anti-rootkit running, as shown on the screen shot, as the virus scan is now at an earlier stage on folders. ...>>> therefore the need to have the scan phase mentioned as I suggested  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:09:02 PM by Logos »