Author Topic: *** INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [now 5.0.460] ***  (Read 88896 times)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: *** INTRODUCING: New pre-release build of avast [5.0.447] ***
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »
OH NO, A BLUE SCREEN :o

Oh wait, thats my Windows desktop ;D Updated over top from  .418 to .447 , rebooted and as always everything seems to be fine 8)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
OH NO, A BLUE SCREEN :o

Oh wait, thats my Windows desktop ;D Updated over top from  .418 to .447 , rebooted and as always everything seems to be fine 8)

Hey stop it! :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

grebe

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »
Installed AIS 447 as I was interested in the WHS update, the PC now shows in WHS but the avast version is unknown and the OS is showing as Vista rather than Windows 7.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »
Installed AIS 447 as I was interested in the WHS update, the PC now shows in WHS but the avast version is unknown and the OS is showing as Vista rather than Windows 7.

Yes, this is as expected.
The current version of avast WHS Edition:
- doesn't know about Windows 7
- doesn't know about avast 5

We tried to make it as compatible as possible, i.e. provide all the features we could, but the remaining details will have to be solved by a WHS Edition update (due soon).

Thanks
Vlk

grebe

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »
Okay thanks for the update Vlk

ace11

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
AIS 5.0.447 + w7 x64

NO FW statistical data @ graph
No blocked IP / connection @ FW LOG

llariel

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 10:42:32 PM »
@ Free Version

My avast! not detect the new version through the integrated updater. How can I update it without having to download the full installer again?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 11:13:21 PM »
@ Free Version

My avast! not detect the new version through the integrated updater. How can I update it without having to download the full installer again?

You can't as this topic title says, this is a pre-release build and not a regular release that would be available in a regular UI Update. The purpose of the pre-release is so that anyone experiencing any of the problems mentioned that are reported as being fixed, etc. can try and confirm if they problem they experienced has been resolved.

Once feedback is received that these issued mentioned have been resolved then it would be released as a regular update. So if you want to test it you will have to do as suggested in the first post of this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

llariel

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 11:57:03 PM »
Ok, I'll go download again. I did not notice how to download it. Because I had not read. Sorry
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:03:00 AM by Llanziel »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »
No problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 05:18:32 AM »
I am copying my bug report into this section so that it can be seen easier:  Note that this is what I WANT 5.0.477 to fix.  This bug was in 5.0.418

Here's a bug report, ( February 22, 2010 Current Version 5.0.418)

This should be easy to fix for the next build: (Pre-Release 5.0.477 or Higher)

1.) Today was the second time running Windows XP (SP-3) where after I opened Avast to check on the status of the program, I could close out by X'ing out of the program.  But when I came back to the computer about two hours later, I saw that Avast was minimized on the Windows Taskbar.  It was not possible to open Avast 5.0 from the minimized position.  Note that this issue was also present on the previous build, 5.0.396

2.) When having the Avast GUI open, on Windows XP, it is not possible to right-click to close it from a minimized task bar position.  This was also an issue in the previous build, 5.0.396.

The workaround is if you see Avast minimized but you don't have the interface open, just open it again from the desktop and after it is open, right-click by X'ing out of the program.  This step will close all of Avast.

Also want to report that updates and responses to them have been great.  There's just a couple of little small picky bugs like the issues above that need to be patched and than we should be all set.

Update: March 4th, 2010:

I had the same issue happen again just now.  The bug seems to only happen from time to time when Avast is opened following a boot up or a PREVIOUS opening of the program during a Windows XP session. The bug seems to happen, if it happens at all, on the update following Avast being opened manually.  It's possible that on the next update attempt we get that "Minimized Avast Window." that cannot be closed.  The fix remains very simple.  Just open Avast from the desktop and than close it again.  The minimized window, that originally did not close, disappears like nothing happened.

Jack
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:22:58 AM by Jack 1000 »

cazoza

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Again, this installer doesnt work for me. Upgrading 4.8 pro, to 5 pro, isn't working. Here's my setup log.

laroc

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »
I see no point in singing the praises of 5.0.447 when I cannot upgrade from 4.8

After Avast tells me it has successfully Installed Ver 5.0.418 on my Vista laptop up comes the message " the application has failed to start because its side-by -side configuration is incorrect"
Nobody yet has provided me with an answer why, so I am back to good old reliable 4.8 possibly for eternity.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
I am copying my bug report into this section so that it can be seen easier:  Note that this is what I WANT 5.0.477 to fix.  This bug was in 5.0.418

Jack, we tried to reproduce the issue on multiple computers but weren't able to do so. To help us analyse the problem, it would be useful if you could create a dump file of the AvastUi.exe process.

The steps are as follows:
1. disable avast self defense module (settings -> troubleshooting page)
2. download the following program http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe
3. run the hangrep.exe program, select AvastUi.exe in the list and create a memory dump (save it somewhere) - the file will be 5-30MB big.
4. re-enable avast self-defense disabled in step 1
5. compress the dump file and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (please note that you will only have write access to the ftp site, not read, so you won't be able to see even the item you uploaded).

Thanks.

Again, this installer doesnt work for me. Upgrading 4.8 pro, to 5 pro, isn't working. Here's my setup log.

Cazoza, according to the setup.log, the function responsible for upgrade of the license reported that the key is invalid. Is this a legal avast 4.8 key? If not, that's the reason of the problem.

After Avast tells me it has successfully Installed Ver 5.0.418 on my Vista laptop up comes the message " the application has failed to start because its side-by -side configuration is incorrect"

laroc, please try downloading and installing these two packages from the Microsoft web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en
and
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

That should hopefully solve the problem. Also, can you please attach the file

C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log?

I'd like to find out why these components weren't installed automatically by the avast setup process.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:56:26 PM by Vlk »

Jack 1000

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »

Jack, we tried to reproduce the issue on multiple computers but weren't able to do so. To help us analyse the problem, it would be useful if you could create a dump file of the AvastUi.exe process.

The steps are as follows:
1. disable avast self defense module (settings -> troubleshooting page)
2. download the following program http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe
3. run the hangrep.exe program, select AvastUi.exe in the list and create a memory dump (save it somewhere) - the file will be 5-30MB big.
4. re-enable avast self-defense disabled in step 1
5. compress the dump file and upload it to http://ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (please note that you will only have write access to the ftp site, not read, so you won't be able to see even the item you uploaded).

Thanks.

Vlk,

I cannot upload in step 5 of the instructions.  It says, "Page cannot be displayed."  File is zipped and ready to go.  What do I do now?

Jack
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:48:34 AM by Jack 1000 »