Author Topic: Update process more reliable  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Update process more reliable
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »
If an update fails, the panel say so.
It's a pity that you cannot control the panel to be "always shown until manual dismiss".
The best things in life are free.

Jack 1000

Re: Update process more reliable
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:31:39 AM »
If an update fails, the panel say so.
It's a pity that you cannot control the panel to be "always shown until manual dismiss".

Sort of disagree,

Because people would say, "What's that message doing there and why do I have to keep manually clicking on it to close it?!"  Several people who would not like such a change.

However, there is good news in an answer for this question! In Avast 5,  if you wonder about the status of an update, just right-click on the Avast Ball in your System Tray (next to the clock) and select, "Show Last Pop Up Message." That will tell you Avast's last action.  You can pin the message up, selecting the little push pin in the message.  When you want to close it, or just "x" out of the message. (click the "x" manually when you have read what it says.)

This feature is very helpful if Avast found or blocked a threat, and you want to read what it says about it for further study.

Jack

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
There is hardly anything to disagree on as this is a request for the option to set it that way rather than have it that way by default.

Personally I would like to see the duration that any pop-up is displayed to be user adjustable, rather than the default 30 seconds, which isn't configurable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 02:02:31 AM »
Because people would say, "What's that message doing there and why do I have to keep manually clicking on it to close it?!"  Several people who would not like such a change.
I want to control, not that the behavior get permanent for all users.
David caught my mind  ;)

However, there is good news in an answer for this question! In Avast 5,  if you wonder about the status of an update, just right-click on the Avast Ball in your System Tray (next to the clock) and select, "Show Last Pop Up Message." That will tell you Avast's last action.  You can pin the message up, selecting the little push pin in the message.  When you want to close it, or just "x" out of the message. (click the "x" manually when you have read what it says.)

This feature is very helpful if Avast found or blocked a threat, and you want to read what it says about it for further study.
+10
Very good suggestion. Hope they even consider it.
The best things in life are free.