Author Topic: Email SSL/TLS message  (Read 13132 times)

TheScorpion

Email SSL/TLS message
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:57:55 AM »
I've installed/uninstalled Avast 5 a couple of times (trying to sort a different problem) and each time I initially run Avast it comes up with a message to the effect that it had detected a secure connection in my email program (Outlook Express) and it can't check my email unless I disable the SSL/TLS settings in my email program. It says that Avast will then perform that.
Thing is, Those settings are already disabled in my email program - so I hope that Avast is actually checking my email.
Any ideas why Avast would come up with that message?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Email SSL/TLS message
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »
What's your mail provider?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:07:38 PM by Zyndstoff »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

olddog

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:14:39 PM »
I've installed/uninstalled Avast 5 a couple of times (trying to sort a different problem) and each time I initially run Avast it comes up with a message to the effect that it had detected a secure connection in my email program (Outlook Express) and it can't check my email unless I disable the SSL/TLS settings in my email program. It says that Avast will then perform that.
Thing is, Those settings are already disabled in my email program - so I hope that Avast is actually checking my email.
Any ideas why Avast would come up with that message?

Suggest you go into Mail Shield->Expert Settings->SSL Accounts and delete all of the entries there, then exit and reboot your PC. The entries will then be rebuilt correctly and the problem should disappear.

TheScorpion

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
Zyndstoff: Mail provider is Xtra 

Olddog: Thanks again!   :)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:08:50 AM »
Did you solve the problem with Olddogs advice?
Free MBAM Clear

TheScorpion

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
Hi Zyndstoff,
The message hasn't appeared again, but as I said, the message had only been coming up when I first install Avast and initially run it. After getting that message I checked OE 'Advanced' and 'Accounts' and made sure that the SSL and TLS options were unchecked. I also deleted the 'ssl' accounts in Avast per Olduns advice.
I note that the 'ssl' account list has returned in Avast but the message hasn't appeared again, and the 'globe' revolves during incoming email so I assume it is checking them.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »
To make sure: check the option "write message in clean mail" (or something very similar, don't know the exact wording) in the mail shield settings.
Then send yourself an email.
At the bottom of the received mail, you should find the "Message clean" part put in there by avast.

;D

Have fun!
Zyndstoff
Free MBAM Clear

TheScorpion

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »

Hi Zyndstoff,
Just noticed that on the bottom of the 'Mail Shield' page that it names and informs that my last incoming email was scanned, so Avast is doing the biz!
Must say I like the new interface and look of V5.