Author Topic: Frustrated with Avast  (Read 3746 times)

shamanalix

Frustrated with Avast
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:38:33 AM »
I just joined the forum to vent, because I don't know where else to turn. I'm very computer dumb, and a search didn't bring up anything here about my problems.

I finally broke down and got Avast a month or two ago. I like it, but the problems keep increasing, and aggravating my medical/emotional condition (panic attacks etc.). I dumped Panda, McAfee and others because they were too undependable and intrusive. I'm about ready to dump Avast.

My major gripes:

1) Avast used to turn off my computer after scanning, as I wanted it to in scheduling part or full scans. The last couple times I've done system scans I've come home and the computer is still on, although the scan shows completed, nothing found. Why isn't it turning off, as it is marked and supposed to???

2) Avast sometimes updates at very inconvenient times. When I try to control or schedule my updates (including of definitions), it yells and blinks at me and says I'm deadly vulnerable. I don't like those scare tactics.

Is there a cure for these two things to start with, to make me believe Avast is something I should stick with? I'm also pretty sure my computer has hidden bots or virus or whatevers in it to let villains send out their junk mail, because it sometimes seems busy without me doing anything, but Avast hasn't found them. (Or is that just another Avast or somebody update going on? Don't want 'em intruding!) We need good dependable easy-to-use safety programs in the world today, and fast!

I have free Avast 5.0.x. Thanks for listening. Good luck.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Frustrated with Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »
Hi Shamanalix,

Welcome to the forum,

According to your statement, this is what i can help :

1. avast! normally will asked you first before turn your system off, and this could be happened because of your system detected with virus or malware which indetified with avast as very critical virus or malware. What is exactly scanning that you had did last time with avast?
You may try to do boot time scan with go through avast GUI -- Scan Computer -- Boot Time Scan -- Then you may select which Are you need to scan -- Then configure the Heuristic sensitivity scan -- Then you may able to check whether you need to scan PUP and unpack archive files -- then you just need to click Schedule. Please take a note, since you clicked it then you need to shut down your applications because needed to restart.

2. As i knew avast! automatically will detect the VPS or engine update if you have connection to the internet. But you also can do it manually, if you feel it very inconvenience with your condition and situation. You may go through avast GUI --click Settings -- choose Updates -- then at there you may configure to set it manually or automatically.

Actually avast! it's very easy to use and powerful, if you have a rite configuration as you site needed.

Hopefully i can answered what does you need for.

Cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

norel

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:27:13 AM »
I can't speak about shutting down the computer after scanning since I never use it. But as far as automatic updates, I believe it's overkill as it is now.

If you have anything but auto updates selected you get all kinds of warning messages saying "Urgent" and "Fix Now." You can eliminate the warning sign on the avast! icon by going to Settings>Status Bar>uncheck Definitions Auto Update. This will prevent avast! from monitoring with the status bar icon but it doesn't stop the warnings in the Summary window. And the truly ironic thing about this is on the one hand you're being bombarded with warnings while on the other there's a big green "SECURED, Your system is fully protected."

In my opinion this needs to be changed. I personally like auto updates but if you're going to offer the option for manual updates it seems silly to warn that your system is unprotected if you choose to use it. There should at least be a way to turn off the warnings for those who want to.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:56:42 AM by norel »

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »
I believe that is good to let the warning just like it is now.

How about if someone else kills the automatic update on a machine while the owner knew nothing about this. He/she maybe unprotected without warning.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:43:25 AM »
 ;) i experience that too in my 4.8 i set my protection to maximum level, avast wont let your system shutdown if you have something attach to your computer. like pendrive,externaldisk,cd,etc. if avast detect anything that might have active memory attach to your system then it will not allow you to shutdown. much better if you don't want to bother like this set your avast in normal protection. if you like maximum then remove all active memory before shutdown. ;)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »
It would probably pay to use the appropriate uninstaller for any AV used prior, as they can leave remnants that can interfere.
I realize this may not deal with the issue you are posting about, but it is recommended anyway.
Uninstallers can be downloaded here. (With thanks to Fredvries.)You may need to carry out a fresh install of Avast after running them/rebooting, this will be indicated if it exhibits any symptoms of not working correctly.

It may even solve your original problem.

If you think your computer is carrying around some 'bots, try a second opinion. The free version of MBAM is very good.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

bong2x

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:10 AM »
 ;) check also if you have two or more hard disc in your computer and setting is maximum level of protection. if this is the case your computer will not going to shutdown. for its protect the system for anwanted software come from other harddisc or memory. ;)

shamanalix

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »
Thank you all very very much for all the thoughts, ideas and suggestions. Being computer dumb I am very appreciative of help, the simpler the better. I will try to incorporate some of what y'all told me.

Meanwhile today on a short scan while I was at work it (I did the long scan yesterday), again it didn't turn the computer off. Nothing else attached was running. Nothing was detected by the scan that would have needed my approval to turn off the computer when the scan was over.

The scans turned off the computer a couple weeks/updates ago with no problems. Now they don't. Something shifted in an update that ruined this good tool? I will not do auto scans any more, at least not for a month (changed the thingie from "weekly" to "monthly" for now).

I was ready to dump Avast from my computer. But your comaraderie has made me decide to stick it out a while longer. By the way, I use Windows X and primarily Mozilla Firefox (with occasional forays to AOL/MIE). Thanks again for being there!!!