Author Topic: Admuncher and Avast 5.0 Free  (Read 17257 times)

lighthouse

Re: Admuncher and Avast 5.0 Free
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 03:46:33 AM »
I posted something regarding Admuncher and Avast over a year ago, but unfortunately no one was able to make things clear.

I basically wanted to know if by using the OptinProcess method to force Avast to scan web data when using Admuncher, it will negate one of the benefits of Admuncher - that of saving bandwidth from not having to download ads.

Fundamentally if using the OptinProcess, will Avast actually scan a file, eg. video, image etc. and only there after would Admuncher filter out the ads?

Unfortunately bandwidth in my part of the world is limited per month and the reason for my query.

greenhatch

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 08:22:31 AM »
I just want to say that when I reinstalled 4.8 I had no problem editing the avast4.ini file again for 'optinprocess=admunch.exe' to enable the working with Admuncher. Therefore I am bound to conclude that 5.0 will not work with Admuncher simply by trying to edit the webshield.ini file, because of the difference in files arrangement in 5.0 compared to 4.8. For instance there is no avast5.ini file as such but several separate ini files for each shield.

Therefore may I ask Alwil to advise a revised method of getting 5.0 to work with Admuncher please. Thanks.

MaB69

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »
Hi,

I'm an AdMuncher user too and added the optin for AM process in Webshield.ini. Saved the file, restarted the webshield and both are fully working now : AM blocks ads and Webshield shows a filtering activity and blocked eicar DL

Thank you all for the great tip

Regards,

MaB

greenhatch

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
Hi,

I'm an AdMuncher user too and added the optin for AM process in Webshield.ini. Saved the file, restarted the webshield and both are fully working now : AM blocks ads and Webshield shows a filtering activity and blocked eicar DL

Thank you all for the great tip

Regards,

MaB

So you were able to edit the webshield.ini file in 5.0? I was competely unable to do that, hence my post above requesting further advice from Alwil. I will have to give it another try then perhaps with a new 5.0 download.

yaslaw

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »
I can confirm. It works!
I just
a) disabled self-defence
b) killed avast service (both process)
c) edited ini and added optinprocess
d) restared avast

greenhatch

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »
I can confirm. It works!
I just
a) disabled self-defence
d) restared avast

Well I downloaded a fresh 5.0 program, installed it over the existing 4.8, but was still unable to save an attempted edit of the webshield.ini file.
I'll follow your steps yaslaw and see if that works for me.

greenhatch

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 03:02:10 PM »
I can confirm. It works!
I just
a) disabled self-defence
d) restared avast

Well I downloaded a fresh 5.0 program, installed it over the existing 4.8, but was still unable to save an attempted edit of the webshield.ini file.
I'll follow your steps yaslaw and see if that works for me.

I followed your steps yaslaw but still could not save the attempted edit :(
  Could you please tell me if your webscanner entries looked like this after editing:

[WebScanner]
OptinProcess=admunch.exe
HttpRedirectPort=80
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
[Common]
ProviderEnabled=1

Thanks

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
Is Admuncher better than Adblock Plus?  ???

MaB69

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
Hi,

I added optin line before [common] section without deactivating avast self protection. Avast warns me when i saved the file and allowed the modification . Using Final Avast on Windows 7 x86

Regards,

MaB

greenhatch

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 04:22:23 PM »
I have now been able to save the edit to webshield.ini ! I followed yasnaw's suggested steps but this time, I started the procedure by opening Notepad as 'run by administrator' first, then opening the Avast5 folder and the webshield.ini, which seemed to allow Vista to save the edit. What a palaver! My 5.0 is now working fine with AdMuncher. Thanks for your forebearance everybody.
chris thomas: AdMuncher is not necessarily better than AdBlockPlus for Firefox but AdMuncher also works on Internet Explorer and Opera.

MaB69

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »
Is Admuncher better than Adblock Plus?  ???

Hi,

Answer from the cow  ;D

Regards,

MaB

petusalem

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
Why Alwill is IGNORING this major flaw?  :o

Sesame

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
???  What do you call "the major flaw"?

petusalem

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »
???  What do you call "the major flaw"?

Ad Muncher and Avast does not work together. And developers of Avast are too lazy/
arrogant to fix it, or tell us why they wont fix it.  :-\

Sesame

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »
Ad Muncher and Avast does not work together.
They work together but not by default.  I wouldn't call it a major flaw.  For, if it were a major flaw, anybody could come up with a reasonably popular HTTP application "unsupported" by default, and claim the "incompatibility" as a "major flaw."

Alwil team may be going to add it in the list of supported ones since, at least, I came across with a few threads about this specific application.  Alternatively, some people suggested the user should be able to add their favorite apps through GUI.  This, again, may/may not be implemented in the future version.  At least, I haven't come across with any official reference for the possibility.