Author Topic: avast keep up with avira?  (Read 12518 times)

gtafanboy

avast keep up with avira?
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:31:04 AM »
I use avast, but i was wondering how avast's detection rate is so close to avira's rate when avast will update once maybe twice a day. Where as avira updates 6-7 times a day and has many more signatures in each update than avast.

compare:    http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/vdfhistory/index.html
                http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history-2010

hpguru

Re: avast keep up with avira?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:43:38 AM »
Free Avira website is here http://www.freeav.com/

hpguru

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »
And of course more updates per day don't tell to me that product is better. 2 good is better than many poor. :)

gtafanboy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
im not trying to promote avira, i actually i am interested. If avast has 2 updates and each have 50 sigs, and avira has 7 each with 200.

how does avast keep up?

dabeniao

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:13:10 AM »
im not trying to promote avira, i actually i am interested. If avast has 2 updates and each have 50 sigs, and avira has 7 each with 200.

how does avast keep up?

hi

Vincent Steckler's reply on the avast! blog post might help. (see link below)
http://blog.avast.com/2009/09/20/did-avast-win-the-latest-avcomparatives/#comment-1218

Mike Buxton

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 03:41:35 AM »
Hi,

It seems to me that the avast signatures must be significantly more efficient. Further, I assume (perhaps wrongly) that False Positives also require signatures (possibly in huge numbers for some developers).

I also assume that if some really major new threat were to sweep the globe like wildfire then avast would issue a ¨special¨ update as soon as possible.

My regards

gtafanboy

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:04:31 AM »
ah ok great thanks for the link, helped alot!

Jack 1000

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:02:53 AM »
I had Avira for about a week and switched back to Avast.  Way too many false positives with Avira.

Jack

Stran05

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:53:07 AM »
Avast Free Antivirus and Avira AntiVir Personal have a lot of differences. Avast at first sticks to the point that it's utility is to remove the infection before it hits your computer. Thus the many shields like Web Shield, Network Shield, Mail Shield, IM Shield, Behaviour Shield etc. But Avira sticks to the fact that it only protects you when the malware hits your computer. Avira's Guard module sticks to the job of scanning anything and everything that enters your computer memory. I think Avast is far more generous because it understands the fact that many people require a complete PC Security Suite for free and thus comes Avast! 4.8/5.0 which come with almost everything for an average user. Avast's recent interface(from Version 5 onwards is a lot more user-friendly for novices than Avira) It also lives up to the satisfaction for it's audio alerts when ever an event like Virus Detection, Database Update takes place. Everytime my confidence on Avast increases when ever it says "A Threat has been detected" or "Your Virus database has been updated". It makes me say to myself "Yes, I am fully protected". Avira especially lacks many modules but survives for it's vivid detection rates. For detection Avast comes second to Avira, but Avira also has many update issues. The large size and the frequency of the updates are due to the release of many many false positives while among 1000 files Avast scans, it detects only 1 False Positive whereas Avira detects 50-60. Who is better? It is up to you. ;)

gtafanboy

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »
Your completely correct, avira has great detection, but avast is much better at stopping malware before it hits your computer with all those shields, where as avira lets it get on to your pc then detects it.

thanks for all replys !

Stran05

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
So to speak, in the last year, thousands of Avira users were driven to Avast! and Avira alone was responsible for it. Even now we have posts in Avira's Support Forum that many are switching to Avast as they say it is far more superior to Avira. The main reasons are that the Version 9 of Avira AntiVir has been very buggy(don't ask me about them!) and the update issues are far worse. It gets on your head when you can't update your Virus Defintion for a week and all they have to say is "Busy servers. Because Avira is used by tons of people." Lame excuse in my opinion because Avast! has as many users as Avira and we never never complain of faulty updates in Avast! The main reason is Avira is bent down upon promoting their Premium and Security Suites. They repeatedly are avoiding our requests in the Forum to add some new modules. Avira 10 is due out by the end of March and I would guess that they would not want to make their free antivirus suite a joke like Comodo Internet Secuity's Antivirus! I had switched from Avira to try out VIPRE Antivirus+Antispyware(excellent product it is!) but I was facinated by Avast! 5 Modules and new Interface. Now I am much satisfied with Avast! 5. But all that I can say is that if Avira works for you then it can give your very decent protection(Not like Avast! perhaps but it will be good) I personally had no update problems, but I was very annoyed by the no. of false positives they had to offer and the constant freezing of Luke Filewalker(The name of Avira's scan-engine, the freezing is a common bug from Version 9 onwards) made me crazy. Hope Avira will improve in future.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
the update issues are far worse.
+1

The main reason is Avira is bent down upon promoting their Premium and Security Suites. They repeatedly are avoiding our requests in the Forum to add some new modules.
+1

Boring popups are another huge reason for me.
The best things in life are free.

Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »
So to speak, in the last year, thousands of Avira users were driven to Avast! and Avira alone was responsible for it. Even now we have posts in Avira's Support Forum that many are switching to Avast as they say it is far more superior to Avira.

Absolutely correct. I have 16 months left on my Avira license and last month I did switch to Avast because I was tired of the false positive and Update problems. Right now I am very happy with Avast free version and in the future I may very well get the paid version...

Mikos

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
I used Avira before also... Back during the days when Avast was a bit too heavy for my machine (earlier versions of Avast 4.8 ). The updates were really horrible. Till I gave up. And that is when I came to know a new Avast version of 4.8. I have been with Avast since then.

Besides, the free Avira philosophy for its protection is not something I would adhere to... It does allow the virus or malware to get into the PC. As some free Avira fanatics will argue, the malware or virus is still stopped since Avira will detect it then clean it. However, there is a big reason why doctors always say that "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Exactly that is what Avast is known to be really good at. Preventing malware from getting to your PC. That is even better than cleaning it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:32:06 PM by Mikos »

gtafanboy

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 12:11:13 AM »
yepp completely agree, i have two rigs, one with avast and one with avira, havent had any problems with either.. besides some slow updates on aviras behalf