Author Topic: Installing version 5, do I need to remove version 4 first?  (Read 2011 times)

Duncan9999

Installing version 5, do I need to remove version 4 first?
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:30 AM »
Hi, I am currently running version 4.8 and am ready to go to version 5 on Vista.

Should I uninstall the old version first or will the new version just overwrite version 4's files. Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to do this. How did you upgrade yours and what was the outcome?

One other issue: In version 4.8 under program settings/update connections, there was a box that you could check that said: I only connect to the Internet via dial up. Does anyone know if this new version has the same option?

Looking forward to upgrading, thanks  :)

Jack 1000

Re: Installing version 5, do I need to remove version 4 first?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:09:57 AM »
While you can over-ride it, for best results, yes remove 4.8 through Add/Remove Programs first.  Than get a fresh download of 5.0 from Avast's website.

After installing 5.0 upon reboot you will get a "Virus Database Has Been Updated." message.

A few seconds later, open up the Avast icon on your Desktop.  Click on Maintenance, than Registration.

Fill out the registration form and click submit to get your license key.  Within seconds, you will get your key, and are protected for 12 months.

You will be notified when the time comes to renew your key.  Just open Avast at that point in time, click on Maintenance, than fill out the form again for another key and 12 months of protection.

You will need to also get a new key, should you need to reinstall the program.

Jack