Author Topic: Hp Wirless assistant and Avast 5 free antivirus  (Read 8817 times)

cadremis

Hp Wirless assistant and Avast 5 free antivirus
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »
I have been working all day with my sister's 64 bits Windows Vista Ultimate computer to try to resolve this problem.

I don't know why but I have seen that this happens since last week, Everytime I turn the computer on, Avast 5 free antivirus has to wait for HP wirless assistant to start, and I don't know why but HP wirless assistant is taking about 1 minute and 30 seconds to start and Avast 5 waits for it, other wise it says I am unprotected since the real time shields don't start, they wait for the HP wirless assistant, I have tried hard to make HP wireless assistant start at the begining of the computer with no success, I remember back 3 or 4 weeks it started very quick and Avast did too.

The only starting programs this computer have are: Avast 5 free Antivirus, Winpatrol free and the HP wirless assistant...

Any one here who can help?

As to what I can't say is that 2 weeks ago my sister told me Avast catched a virus and put it in the virus chest and that she felt the computer was starting too low, what I did is that I deleted the virus in the chest and started an mbam full scan together with a SAS full scan, nothing found, then my sister came back yesterday saying that Avast was taking about 2 minutes to start, and today I started to work with the problem with no success, what I am doing right now is check the computer in safe mode with Dr. Web cure it... I know it is going to take about 5 hours to finish, hoppfully it founds something that is not allowing to start the HP wirless assistant quickly.

Any ideas?

cadremis

Re: Hp Wirless assistant and Avast 5 free antivirus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:05:15 AM »
Something I have to add is that Avast update is working eventhough all shields are down... rm

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:03:54 AM »
here's an idea since no one else respoded so far.. Uninstall HP wireless assistant. I did, it's pretty worthless in my opinion and its also not as if you'll lose wireless capability.  It may help, I don't know

cadremis

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »
Help me understand this,

Do you mean that if I uninstall HP wirless assistant I still can have wirelss conection?

If It does not work can I install it again downloading it form Hp?

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:59:04 PM »
Help me understand this,

Do you mean that if I uninstall HP wirless assistant I still can have wirelss conection?

If It does not work can I install it again downloading it form Hp?

I have an HP pavillion dv9830us laptop, and the first thing i did was uninstall most of the HP software. uninstalling The wireless assistant wont make you lose connectivity. If you need to redownload any drivers/software from HP, you can do it here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html just search for the correct notebook model.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »
cadremis, I think this is known issue - when you log on to your Windows and avast is reporting you're unprotected, could you please open avast user interface and tell me which providers haven't started yet? The problem is, if you have a wifi network, mail+web shields won't start until you're connected to the network (i.e. until you'll receive a valid IP address). I think this is it and it was already fixed...

cadremis

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:27 AM »
When I open Avast all shields are down and they do not come up till the computer detects the conection...

Something strange for me is that before Avast shields come, Avast updates very well, then in two minutes when the conection is detected The shields come and everything corrects.

My question is why this did not happen before? now my sister has to wait 2 minutes till avast is ready to start to navigate, she does not feel protected.

Am I answering your question well?

cadremis

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:58 AM »
Something to add,

As I Said eventhough the network has not been detected.

Avast can update itself + I can go and open Firefox and navigate well without the conetion being detected.

Something strange I saw today, I canĀ“t open my programs example CCleaner or someting else till the conection is detected...rm

cadremis

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »
Well, I don't want to give up since I want Avast 5 working well in my sister's computer,

But I have done everything and have spent 3 days working with this, I am not able to make the wirless network to work as soon as I start windows and it is taking more than 2 minutes to do it.

Avast has to wait for the wirless network to start in order to turn on all shields.

I have no viruses, no spyware, nothing there only the trouble that I can't make the wirless network to start along with windows and avast does not work till it comes up, I have the computer very close to the wirless station and even like this the wirless network starts quickly...rm

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
Did you ever remove the HP Wireless assistant?

How about a link to HP product update, do you have that in the start menu?  Try running it and see if there are any updates.

HP's software nowadays is pretty, well, crappy.  They do release patches for all of their programs though.

You can find out if you have the newest version by going to support.hp.com and typing in the model of the computer.

I'd remove it though.  Windows has plenty of ability to manage wireless connections on it's own, there's no need for HP to step in and add more confusion with their utility.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

cadremis

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »
Still having the problem.... I really do not know what to do, I removed Hp Wirless assitant, same trouble, network conection takes about 2 mintes to start and Avast 5 too... rm

olddog

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:50 AM »
I removed Hp Wirless assitant, same trouble, network conection takes about 2 mintes to start and Avast 5 too 

cadremus,

What happens if before you shut down the notebook, you switch off the wireless network card, then when it boots up next time, the shields should start normally, after which switch on the network card. That works OK on my Asus notebook which granted has Intel wireless, not HP. I normally have the wireless network card turned off when I'm not actually using the notebook on a wireless network to conserve its battery.

cadremis

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 05:21:57 AM »
oldog,
Let me try that, eventhoug it does not convince me at all, I continute to ask why before this didn't happen and now it does...rm

cadremis

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:58:16 PM »
Pk,
I'm not able to find a solution to this eventhough I have done everything.

You said that Avast Shields do not start till Network finds the Ip and that this have been fixed, why am I continue with the same problem if I am using the last version of Avast?

Advise...rm

olddog

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 01:07:55 AM »
Pk,
...You said that Avast Shields do not start till Network finds the Ip and that this have been fixed, why am I continue with the same problem if I am using the last version of Avast?

If I boot up my laptop with no connection to the network or internet (ie the wireless card turned off), all of the shields I use (File, Mail, Web and Network) still start.

so Cadremus,
What happened when you tried starting your computer with the wireless network card turned off?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:10:55 AM by olddog »