Author Topic: avast! 5 & Privatefirewall  (Read 5718 times)

rdmaloyjr

avast! 5 & Privatefirewall
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:54:16 AM »
I made a support request to PrivacyWare about avast! 5 pop ups.

This is their response:

Hello rdmaloyjr -

Thank you for your note and interest in Privatefirewall.

The issue you're observing has been reported to us by numerous Avast customers and we are in the process of working on resolving this matter with them.

Every time the Avast "Update Program" is invoked, Avast creates "avast.setup" in "Avast5 Directory\Setup\".  For some reason, the Avast.setup is not digitally signed and therefore Privatefirewall appropriately generates an alert because it has detected a foreign (new) process. Avast should sign all of their application's related executables.

We have informed Avast of this defect and hope that they will resolve the issue soon. In the meantime, contacting Avast directly regarding this issue may accelerate the delivery of a fix.

Best regards,

Greg

Greg Salvato
Privacyware: www.privacyware.com

Microsoft Gold Certified Partner - ISV/Software Solutions, Data Management Solutions, Business Intelligence, SOA and Business Processes

ALWIL,

Please fix this defect in avast! 5.

Thank you in advance. :)

mhf

Re: avast! 5 & Privatefirewall
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:35 AM »
I second that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
How can you digitally sign a file that gets created when an update check is done, answer you can't and I would have though that privatefirewall would know that. I somehow doubt that digital signing has anything to do with privatefirewalls blocking, so blocking/asking about a new foreign program is fine, but to my mind the digital signature is a big red herring.

The avast.setup file is I believe created from the setup.ovr file in the setup folder to manage the update process. Strange that my firewall has no problem with this creation.

For the most part this creation of the avast.setup file will be the same as the last version but there are times when it will have changed and only then should a firewall pipe up and you allow it and check any remember this decision, etc...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hally

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
Hi  :)

Got to agree with - DavidR

My Firewall.. PC Tools Firewall Plus

And just like David said...
Strange that my firewall has no problem with this creation.

My firewall doesn't have any issues with Avast 5 either  8)

Hally

timcan

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
I too submitted a support ticket awhile back with pfw developers.No doubt they know more about this than myself. ::)

The hips program that I use atm logs the same 4 processes every time avast 5 free does a update.Nothing changes as far as I can tell
(I think this kind of goes along with what DavidR stated)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
This is a known bug and will be fixed in the next program update.

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 05:01:53 AM »
Thank you Vlk, the issue is fixed. :)

I'm no longer getting the pop ups due to the unsigned detections.  Privatefirewall is running smooth & quiet. :)

And new in v5.0.454
- added access keys – the program can be easily now controlled via keyboard
- solved a problem with the “I only connect to the Internet using a dial up modem” update setting
- better handling of errors in case of real-time shield actions
- improved compatibility with Apple BootCamp
- improved default firewall rules
- low priority scans now use much less CPU (but run accordingly longer)
- components of the avast setup/update process are now digitally signed
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:27:28 PM by rdmaloyjr »