Author Topic: Installing Avast 4.8  (Read 6915 times)

AZKID

Re: Installing Avast 4.8
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 12:56:06 AM »
Hi Tarq

Sorry for the delay in getting back here but I have run into major troubles  :( My wife tried to run Avast's removal tool for ver 4.8 and it did not work :(  Unfortunately she did not run it in the SAFE MODE.
Then she removed:
1] AVAST_HOME_SETUP.EXE-17A43346.pf in Folder: C:\WINDOWS \Prefetch
2] AVAST_HOME_SETUP.EXE- 1F0E2CEA.pf in Folder: C:\WINDOWS \Prefetch
and instead of leaving them in the Recycle Bin .. she emptied the Recycle Bin !!!

Now my XP OS still boots and I get to the Desktop but it won't run ANY of my programs !!!
I tried running MBAM (Malwarebytes) but it won't run either. She tried the Restore option on XP and it seemed to have restored at first BUT I am still unable to run any of my programs.

I have never reinstalled an OS but I am thinking that may be my only option at this point (hoping NOT!)
HP did not provide me with a bootable disk on my 4 year old HP ... so right now I am not sure what to do ::)
Any help/advice will really be greatly appreciated 
Thank you,

Rich

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 01:25:03 AM »
The tool only needs to be run in safe mode if Avast doesn't uninstall cleanly via add/remove programs.
Deleting prefetch files would do no harm. (So you can't blame your wife. Sorry.  ;))
That said nothing should really be deleted unless the user knows what it's for. Is it possible anything else was deleted?
This is starting to possibly sound more like a malware issue, or maybe a registry issue..I don't really know.
If no programs will run on it your options become a bit limited. Sorry, I have no experience with re-installing an OS on a HP machine without a disk. If you can borrow an XP Home installation disk, a repair install might be possible.

One thing I'd look at doing - if no-one else posts with more informed ideas - is to try a BART disk. This would need to be downloaded and burned using a clean and working computer.
Below are links to a couple.
Avira (Direct Download),

DrWeb (also have a look at the "how it works" link on that page)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

AZKID

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 03:01:50 AM »
Thanks again Tarq for your quick reply and links. I will try to get my laptop up and running again ....possibly doing an OS repair or reinstall and will report back on this thread when I am hopefully up and running. It may take several days to get back here again..but I WILL !

Thanks again :)

Rich