Author Topic: AVAST ARE THIEVING BASTARDS !!!!  (Read 88393 times)

Mike Buxton

Re: AVAST ARE THIEVING BASTARDS !!!!
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
Hi,

Most importantly, it is now reinforced that ¨they¨ are neither thieves nor bastards. How many of us can imagine dealing with more than 100,000,000 customers [mainly non-paying] all of whom must be right?

Personally, I liked mackś avatar and especially post # 67, but even that humour was taken amiss.

I am a great fan of avast! and most a most grateful W98SE and Linux user, but I am no mere boy.

My regards

Mele20

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »
Let me inform you that I am a Community Member of the Avira Support Forum. I had to work my way upto the status by following strict rules and having the positive frame of mind to help the one's who need my assistance. What Mele20 has said is absolutely right. Avira would have straight away locked or deleted a thread like this and in that forum no newbie can post in other's threads. Only a Community Member or moderator can do that to help others. I agree with Mele20 that Avira's Forum policy and rules are much strict than this forum. Mele20 is also a respected Community Member and I have high regards for him. No thread with such foul language as this one can stay at the Avira Support Forum. I assure you that.

One other thing. How come naked breasts are allowed here for someone's avatar? That is insulting to all women and something Avira would NEVER allow. This forum is the ONLY way to get support for Avast free version and I gather also for the paid version (which shocks me just as the fact that Avira paid versions ONLY have forum support, however, Avira does have SERIOUS forum support which I'm not sure can be said for Avast). 

I installed Avast on my Vista Ultimate virtual machine yesterday. I had the Avast 5 beta on there for awhile back in January but I am a beta tester for Avira and so I put Avira back on it until yesterday (and still have Avira beta on XP and Win 7 test machines).  Avast works BEAUTIFULLY on Vista. Avira beta, sadly, has many, many problems.

This forum is lacking in proper decorum for helping folks and naked women for avatars certainly does not lend the proper atmosphere for such an outstanding antivirus program as Avast 5 is shown to be.  I may end up using Avira, warts and all, on Vista simply because I don't care for the Wild West free for all that I see here.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »
Oh Vlk now I will have to apologise to mieko for my sour tongue, which I do - sorry mieko, my failing - and just when I was starting to get all hotted up about things and would prefer to rush back into the fray, but you are right Vlk, why ruin a good user forum for my own selfish ends.

But some good point is willingness of avast users to rush to the defense of their product.

I'm at my friend's now and try to find how to de-activate the Trendmicro default that says Fix Now 'if Trend Micro Internet Security has not yet scanned your computer for threats since you installed the software'. He been running scans for months.  ??? ???  I set Fix Now alert for every 30 days.  He not have one threat in all that months and months time - so says that is what is his good behavior.  ;)  But I should not disparage Trendmicro, they provide good protection for my sister's business and paid for by her parent company.

@ Stran05 - how convenient two unnamed product Community member and moderator one should popup like FakeAV to advise avast users as to what is  proper behavior for forum. I think is good you have absolute no authority to action rules in avast user forum. And you are here, but do you use any avast product? Of course, like FakeAV, you do not.  ;D

@ Rumpel - me too, think Vlk is right, but is factual problem that mieko had issue making him hotted up, and well done avast for ensure they attend to problem, especially since upgrade of product range will unavoidably give rise to many different issues that are not always easily solved. In the interim, avast users will rush to defend avast product in their forum.

When a successful product range is further improved by the release of an even better product assortment and price, there is always going to be attacks made by persons who resent the continued success of the range, and there is sufficient evidence that this is what is happening in some threads in the user forum. There is sometimes no solving to the upside down question and answer carried out by these deliberate attempts to wreck the good name of avast, but eventually the perpetrators  become undone so they end up squeeze out like bad pimple on backside, and life goes on to much content of people who use avast product range. Is very good that mieko should not be one of these malcontents. My wish is that he should be the lucky user of avast products. Oh I such a fanboy, I so embarrassed.

Edit - my italics above - I know avast runs okay on Vista, Mele20, but runs okay on all machines - I don't Beta test but I do have 3 installs due for clients (this weekend hopefully) Vista and Win7 (trial license expired), and an XP upgrade - makes a nice arrangement for AIS package as people are related. This too is an appealing aspect of the new avast release(s) over and above good performance of antivirus.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:58:12 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2010, 03:43:17 PM »
We were trying to reproduce the problem with your license key / license file (to have to same conditions), but everything works as expected - i.e. the message arrived with the attachment.
So... I'm afraid I have to conclude that the problem with the missing attachment is caused either by your e-mail client, or by your mailbox / ISP.

Anyway, I've just sent you the license file by e-mail - this time packed into a ZIP file (so that it gets through if the problem were with the particular file extension).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:45:55 PM by igor »

psw

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
Missing attachment can be rather virtual too.
E.g. when I looked at the Msg with licence attachment via Exchange Web Access I can not find any (bare message from Alvil but attachment was missed). The same message looked at via Outlook program shows that attachment is really present and can be extracted and saved. So probably sending zip copy would be the best workaround.
It is interesting that this is concern to licence sent via resend-license page. License sent via element5 shop can be extracted both in Web interface and Outlook client.

coolsilver

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »
*brings cake*

Now we all have our pants on straight... lets have some cake  ;D

twl845

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2010, 04:44:44 PM »

One other thing. How come naked breasts are allowed here for someone's avatar? That is insulting to all women and something Avira would NEVER allow. 
I missed that. Can you include a copy of the avatar?

mieko

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »
Thanks Igor, i have now received the new licence. Thank you very much for your assistance.

As for what has been going on since i pretty much stating i would wait on Igor is rather interesting.
VLK's decision to leave the thread open as a psychological study is valid but of course since my issue
has been finally resolved by the powers that be there is no reason to leave the thread open.

Honestly i figured after i submitted licence the thread would have been locked but i guess my anger & utter frustration sparked something unusual here.
Believe me that last thing i ever want is to rant in public but when official channels fail you and the client is pretty much directed here only to be further attacked not because of the message but how the message is delivered then it just makes that anger and frustration worse.

Personally i wouldn't have been continuously angry if it wasn't for the attacks & insinuations pretty much right out of the gate. I suspect that
most people who posted negative comments probably figured i was a troll or something... Which is definitely not the case.

I guess all i can say in closing is should another "utterly angry & frustrated client" like myself show up and demonstrates it directed at the product and not you personally then try to read the message and not how the message is delivered and further attack that person.

A note to the Avast Bigwigs though... You guys REALLY need to improve your official customer support services. If a paying client submits
a valid emergency ticket it REALLY SHOULD NOT take 6 days to get a response. Or at least have a phone number for customer service so
clients can get service as my problems probably could have been solved immediately without the brewing frustration.

That's all folks.

We were trying to reproduce the problem with your license key / license file (to have to same conditions), but everything works as expected - i.e. the message arrived with the attachment.
So... I'm afraid I have to conclude that the problem with the missing attachment is caused either by your e-mail client, or by your mailbox / ISP.

Anyway, I've just sent you the license file by e-mail - this time packed into a ZIP file (so that it gets through if the problem were with the particular file extension).

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »
Alwil very busy wit 100,000,000 sign up, but they take time out to address yr issue.

Go well mieko.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
 ;D i just learn something from mieko post

I follow and read now I got something great to learn.
just like VLK said "interesting psychology game" and this a good game  ;D
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

Mikos

« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
Having a problem does not give anyone the right to use foul language, especially if it does not even involve a matter of life and death.

It is really psychology as VLK puts it. It shows pretty much the behavior of people when they come face to face with dire circumstance. And too bad, some people really break when they are faced with not so overwhelming problems. I need not elaborate who just displayed such an awesome behavior. Pardon the sarcasm. I still believe in the diplomatic way of doing things and that using foul stuff doesn't get you anywhere when it can be avoided.

After all in the end, problems can be resolved faster if only people are much calmer and level headed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:44:36 PM by Mikos »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2010, 10:18:24 PM »
One other thing. How come naked breasts are allowed here for someone's avatar? That is insulting to all women and something unnamed product would NEVER allow.

If you're referring to cazoza's avatar, I'd agree that it's a bit questionable but still acceptable. I don't know how about where you live, but I'd say that at least in Europe, such a picture could easily make it to mainstream media (TV, magazines, advertising etc) with no restrictions.

This forum is the ONLY way to get support for Avast free version and I gather also for the paid version (which shocks me just as the fact that unnamed product paid versions ONLY have forum support, however, unnamed product does have SERIOUS forum support which I'm not sure can be said for Avast).  

It's not supposed to be the ONLY way (although it is the prefered way). We do obviously have staff that's taking care of the support tickets. If it took them 6 days to get back to the OP, that's poor, agreed, but most of the tickets are handled much faster IMO.

This forum is lacking in proper decorum for helping folks and naked women for avatars certainly does not lend the proper atmosphere for such an outstanding antivirus program as Avast 5 is shown to be.  I may end up using unnamed product, warts and all, on Vista simply because I don't care for the Wild West free for all that I see here.

The avast forum started about 7 years ago, and I've been around for pretty much all that time. For the most part, I've seen it very friendly and helpful - although at times, they were obviously problems of this type (but not very often).

Now, regarding the foul language, the forum software was supposed to do some automatic substitutions (of the f-* and s-* words, for example). This obviously failed - we'll have to look into why (maybe some of the recent forum upgrades broke this feature). We obviously want to keep the forum teenager-friendly (and politically correct) but we don't want to delete posts/threats just because someone uses an ugly word or two...

Edit: the feature is now back, as you can see in the first post of this thread.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:05:31 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Iangho

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:17 PM »
I think Avast has the most friendly, informative forum I know about.

It's part of Avast's competitive advantage.

On a lot of forums you get posts such as "use the search..". Well, may be people should use the search but I see no point in answering a question with a terse, judgemental comment. People on the Avast forum are a lot nicer and easily more forgiving.

I'm a member of Avira's forum and don't agree with the rule about being uber-registered to post replies to others' posts because they had a problem with a few users. That's not in the spirit of forums.

Ian

JH

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
Mieko I am also quite shocked with the foul language and attitude used. As a mostly reading and non contributing user I was amazed that the mods have not taken down this thread because of the language. You paid quite a lot of money for the licenses, were angry, but that is no explanation. I do think that you should edit the first post - not to delete it, or change the form, but just add the permanent link to the post where issue is resolved, and it is confirmed that troubles (as many of us suspected, and this is mostly the case) were caused by the e-mail account, which disliked for some reason license extension. You were very closed minded about such explanation, honestly speaking at some point I've thought you were either a troll or someone with a cracked/blacklisted serial trying to fraud a new one here. Or both. All because of the attitude. But this is your decision, I'm thinking that most users would agree. Visitors often do not read whole messages, explanation here is on like 7th or 6th page, and the first post still contains very serious accusations.

Still, you've got a point here - ways of sending the license should change. E-mail providers have a variety of rules, also it is quite often that such e-mail does land in the spam, and an average user does not have the smarts to check the spam folder... Why not to provide as an alternative a link in the message (if this message does not contain an attachment - click here), or on the website after submitting the form for the license? It would be stored on the FTP let's say for 24h after the submission. There are many ways how the unreliable communication vehicle as  the e-mail is could be bypassed.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »
@ Vlk - once again, well done alwil

Edit: the feature is now back, as you can see in the first post of this thread.