Author Topic: AVAST ARE THIEVING BASTARDS !!!!  (Read 88748 times)

Mike Buxton

Re: AVAST ARE THIEVING BASTARDS !!!!
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2010, 03:08:24 AM »
mkis,

Andy wrote ¨most¨ not ¨all¨ and his comments are reasonable, reasoned, measured and salient. Thus, it would be pointless for him to provide the information you suggest. How many forum readers know the names of many, or even any, of the largest ten commercial organisations in your country and if I knew more about you my opinion of you would not improve one iota.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:33 AM »
"most" what - I do not understand

I've been through this before in the market here in New Zealand, Mike.
Some end up yr friends, some weren't even using avast, etc, etc, etc

Honestly, how does Andy expect to be taken seriously - this is a public forum not a business channel.

I repeat - "State of the whole software industry worldwide actually"

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:42:24 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

andrewlen

« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2010, 03:59:20 AM »
please Andy can you provide proof of yr claims, yr credentials, the name of the company, and whatever else you think sufficient - such as what you would send out to a prospective client, who honestly doesn't know who you are from a bar of soap. I'm sure some of yr clients will visit the forum if they run Avast softwares and they can back you up. That's fair enough, isn't it.

To what end would I want to do that? In the same vein as your disclaimer in an earlier post, I post here as an individual with my own opinions and experiences, not as a representative of the company I work for. I don't know you from a bar of soap either, so does that mean I should take everything you say with a grain of salt and dismiss your opinions until I examine your resume` as well?  You can either believe what I've said or not - I feel no burning desire to prove my qualifications to yourself or anyone else in public forums I participate in.

I was going to offer exchanging personal information if you wanted to provide me with the same courtesy, however when I tried to send you private mail, noted the forum does not allow members to exchange personal messages. Then from your sig, I noted that you run Avast Free as your resident AV which suggests you're a home user posting from a computer in a non commercial environment.

Ergo, I know as much about you as you know about me. Exactly what is it I've said or made representations about that you consider you require "proof" of to be considered valid opinions of my own about Avast's level of after sales support? I have already qualified why I have said what I have about the level of support ALWIL provide in providing the name of the support tech who responded to my own support request in my other thread. As I finally got the answer I needed from "igor" who as I understand it, is directly affiliated with Avast, I would assume he has the necessary access to easily verify claims I made in my other post.

I am also an Avast affiliate through Share-It so if you have inside connections with Avast employees, you can ask them to confirm how many copies of Avast Pro and Servers in Australia are protected by Avast Server editions as a direct result of my efforts if you have a burning desire for me to "prove myself". Proving my qualifications to you directly or in a public forum? Again, to what end? Heh.. I think not.

You need to understand -
I've been through this kind of thing in New Zealand thanks! Fake AV make the same kind of claims.
avast is well known in NZ but always could get more exposure. Loads of Aussies on the forum.

You've been through "what" kind of thing in NZ exactly?

MY comments are about the level and quality of after sales support Avast provide to their paying customers. Your argument as I understand it, appears to be that Avast support is fine and dandy and needs no improvement. Or have I misunderstood your position on the matter. Because I beg to differ that stance and despite the colourful means of voicing his dis-satisfaction aside, so did the OP of this thread. I have already applauded the moderators for their decision to allow his vent to remain on the board, but that doesn't change anything about his (or my own) opinions about the quality of Avast's after sales support.

veryone downunder wants to be the sole distributor of avast products- its been like that for years.

They do? Well that's news to me :)  http://avast.com.au links to an Australian domain that I tend to never use to purchase or research anything anyway. Why? Because as soon as you go to download or purchase anything, you get re-routed over to avast.com anyway, so that's where I prefer to go from the word go.

At least we agree about the product. I just installed the Security Suite over avast! Free and the upgrade went effortlessly - the program requesting that I uninstall the previous version on the fly (albeit with Restart) and then installing and running without the hint of a problem.

Indeed.. I did the exact same thing with my copy of Avast Pro on my laptop - installed straight over the top of it with the security suite and ran it until it's trial period ran out. Upgraded without a single hiccup and performed well enough. At the end of the trial period however, I uninstalled the suite and went back to Avast Pro as for me, I saw no compelling reason to upgrade to the suite.

I've never been a fan of Suite solutions anyway.. I prefer to choose my own Antivirus, Spam filters, firewalls and other security related software. SpyBot Search and Destroy as an example is already one of the best of it's kind out there with Lavasoft's Adaware coming a close second - imho of course.

As for the suite firewall, being behind a hardware and NAT firewall already, I see no need to use anything other than XP's or Windows 7's built in firewall.  I consider myself to have enough nouse so as not to worry too much about a software firewall providing me with outbound protection, but for those that do enjoy a higher level of protection, do you know if Avast's Suite firewall passes all of Steve Gibson's firewall related tests? In particular the leak tests? I neglected to check it out when I was running the suite so if you have time, give it a try with your installed copy of the suite at http://www.grc.com and let me know the results.. would be interested to know.

Cheers...

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2010, 04:37:01 AM »
ho hum

I've got every confidence in Vince Steckler. And the rest of the avast team.
And avast have been good to me so I install them first after Windows update. Then preferences.
I service personal computers, Windows only, and am very easy to find on the internet or in Auckland.
You can PM me easy enough, other people do. Maybe you dont have enough posts yet.

Stick around Andy, its very early days, the new release has only been out 6 weeks, and it pays to have at least one person in yr business keeping an eye on the forum. You find also avast always try to do this.

Its not that easy helping people by remote calls, and do yr own stuff at the same time.
Not always you can have the patience of Job. And my sig falls behind lots of the time.

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

andrewlen

« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2010, 05:29:51 AM »
You can PM me easy enough, other people do. Maybe you dont have enough posts yet.

If a certain number of posts are required before PM is enabled, then that will almost certainly be the answer as my post count at time of writing is still under 10. Trying to send a personal message at this stage just results in a message stating - "An Error Has Occured! - You are not allowed to send personal messages."

And my sig falls behind lots of the time.

Oh? Sig appears to be accurate when supported by this statement you made in an earlier post..

"I just installed the Security Suite over avast! Free and the upgrade went effortlessly"

Ah well.. Perhaps you were talking about someone else's computer :P :D ;D

ho hum.. guess it's non of my business anyway. 

Have a great day..  :)

Cheers...

Edit: Fixed typo
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:34:08 AM by andrewlen »

mieko

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »
Oh boy.. What did i do... I created a monster thread ;)

I'm still surprised that this thread is STILL going on since Igor took care of my problem 6 days ago.

I guess what it all boils down to is that Awil/Avast needs to really beef up their support staff for paying clients. 

Avast may have 100 million users and 10 million of those are paying customers (according to the Avast Blog) but is still 10 million paying customers that are not afforded proper support for the licenses they pay for.
You can say that their growing but at a aggregate price of $40 per license and 10 million customers and they don't have enough money to pay for effective support staff ?

It's not like Awil is  based in high value location like London,Tokyo or New York nor do they seem to have a lot of staff to being with so why not open up the coffers a bit a provide better service to paying customers... As it was stated to me here way early that the "forum" is pretty much here to help the Free Users help themselves.

This isn't a rant but common sense.

EntitY

« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
mieko, exactly my thought from the beginning of this thread. I don't know why it took 11 pages for you to conclude the obvious, but it is your post to say what and when you want.

andrewlen

« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2010, 02:48:46 AM »
Oh boy.. What did i do... I created a monster thread ;)

I'm still surprised that this thread is STILL going on since Igor took care of my problem 6 days ago.

Igor seems to be a helpful and pretty knowledgeable chap.. he sorted my licensing issue in another thread recently as well, with a single post :)

I guess what it all boils down to is that Awil/Avast needs to really beef up their support staff for paying clients.

Not just beef up, but "train up" as well imo. It's frustrating enough when you have to wait x days before you get a reply.. but that frustration can turn infuriating when that reply finally does come and the answer is a clear copy and paste of a template answer to a problem that has absolutely nothing to do with the support request you made in the first place, which is what happened to me.

Now whether that happened as a result of them being so busy and pushing through the requests so fast that they weren't bothering to read the support requests properly I have no idea, but whatever the reason is, it's unprofessional support to the point where it can cause people to lose confidence in a product.

Avast may have 100 million users and 10 million of those are paying customers (according to the Avast Blog) but is still 10 million paying customers that are not afforded proper support for the licenses they pay for.
You can say that their growing but at a aggregate price of $40 per license and 10 million customers and they don't have enough money to pay for effective support staff ?

It may have nothing to do with their willingness to "pay" for more support staff.. it could also be a problem with locating decent support staff to employ.

It's not like Awil is  based in high value location like London,Tokyo or New York nor do they seem to have a lot of staff to being with so why not open up the coffers a bit a provide better service to paying customers... As it was stated to me here way early that the "forum" is pretty much here to help the Free Users help themselves.

This isn't a rant but common sense.\

I can see and agree where you're coming from.

While I personally found it great that I was able to get a solution to my problem on this board through igor's kind help, I don't believe it unreasonable on my part to have expected to get that same simple solution from the support tech that eventually replied to my support request. Instead I got a blurb on how to uninstall and reinstall Avast which clearly wasn't required when the installation I had was already the latest and was working perfectly well, as designed, in Trial Mode. It was only after I replied again with frustration asking the tech actually read my support request that I got the answer I needed.. by that time however, Igor already had me sorted out here.

Say's heaps for the high quality of help one can get out of this forum, but it also says quite a bit about the quality of Alwil's support to paying customers, which atm, does not appear to be all that good at all.

Cheers...

RobinBates

« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
anyone know how to get them to resend the key, I purchased avast5 pro, had to erase it and now can not find where I put the avastic key

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »
anyone know how to get them to resend the key, I purchased avast5 pro, had to erase it and now can not find where I put the avastic key
Send an email to sales (at) avast (dot) com
Also, follow http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57701.msg486328#msg486328
The best things in life are free.

ynlvr

« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2010, 03:18:47 AM »
It is upsetting to renew in advance of expiration and get continual "subscription expired" notices EVERYDAY SEVERAL TIMES A DAY! There is no easy way to contact HELP to stop the barrage. I am quite simple in my needs and computer ingenuity. I am stumped and disappointed. Fully paid . . . again.

ynlvr

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2010, 03:28:28 AM »
Thanks, I've given it a try.

enddays

« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »
Just looked into this Forum after a break. Not a lot has changed, it appears. Still the Fanboys mindlessly advocating Avast, including all the advice to uninstall and reinstall, uninstall in safe made, reboot twice, repair etc. FFS, and the angry people who have actually paid for this sub-standard product. I have been previously recomending that users of Avast 4, which worked great, should migrate to MSE as it is about the BEST free product on the market at present. I am sure that this comment will never be allowed to be posted as it does slag off Avast 5 free, but if it does happen to appear, take my advice guys, seriously. And I DON'T work for MS.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:33:50 PM by enddays »

Hermite15

« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »
Just looked into this Forum after a break....

take another break ::)

enddays

« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2010, 11:41:55 PM »
I will do that Logos, but I am unsure that if I return in say 2 months, and the situation re unanswered complaints is the same, will you suggest a solution ?